Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Midnight Special

Quite enjoyed this. It was helped by two solid performances from Joel Edgerton and Michael Shannon, two actors who I find very much alike in style (serious and brooding) and quite an interesting premise of another world on top of ours but leaves you with many questions

3.5/5

Silver Lining Playbook

a lot of good actors and actress like bradley cooper and jennifer lawrence who play in this movie

I watched this movie about a month ago, romantic and funny.

9.5/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	silver_linings_playbook.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	27184  

At least you did not pay to see it in the theater. Like I did.

I want my $8.00 back.
I saw in the theater too, but that was back when the old theater in my town was doing their two-for Tuesday special. So I paid like $2.50 to see it. I still want my money back.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The Dead Girl (2006)
++

For the 11th MoFo HoF, review over there.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Yeah, the only reason I gave it that half bucket was because it leaves such a small impact that I don't view it as harmful to the art of cinema, and one bit of slapstick that is actually kind of pure brilliance.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Two Lovers

Another excellent film from James Gray.

Hello all, I'm new here and this my first post so here it goes

L.A. Confidential - 9/10

Hello all, I'm new here and this my first post so here it goes

L.A. Confidential - 9/10
You're one up on me I've never seen it (but want to), people here love the movie. Glad you liked it!

A Short Film About Killing (1988)

+

It's not a short film as some of us would know one, but it is less than 90 minutes. Very bleak and realistic with a brutal murder as it's centerpiece. There's 3 main characters; a killer, a victim, and a defense attorney. Ultimately, the movie is about questioning the death penalty. It didn't blow me away like I had hoped, but it is powerful. I was impressed enough that I looked up the director afterwards to see what else he had done, and it turns out that it's the same guy responsible for the Three Colors Trilogy, as well as other notable works. This movie has a higher IMDb score than those others.

What else can I say?
Dang, NextScorsese, did someone tell you to go home and get your shine box while you were watching Pluto Nash?

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Shallows Review (not recommended)

I knew the story coming in as I had seen the trailer. Even with this prior knowledge and my expectations adjusted, I found the shallows very hard to swallow. Basically, Nancy, is trapped on a small rock some distance from the shore. She had travelled to a secluded paradise beach in memoriam of her mother who had recently passed. She’s attacked, trapped and a shark is circling.

Again, my expectations were adjusted. I’m happy to watch a B movie. The oceans a scary place and sharks are scary. Sometimes you want a movie to keep your attention, to give you that thrill however superficial. The duration of the film (86 mins) is its strongest asset. It does keep your attention for that short time, meaning, its short enough for you to watch it all without turning it off just to see what happens. Regarding the thrill, there is little to no thrill.

A common trope in movies is a ticking time bomb mechanic. If something is not changed by this time, then bang consequences. It’s obvious in the movie Star wars a new hope. The death star is closing in on the Rebel base; if the rebels don’t destroy the Death Star, the planet/base will be destroyed. This effectively builds tension. In The Shallows Nancy is stuck on a rock at what seems to be low tide. High tide and low tide is mentioned but not emphasized. Will the rock become submerged at high tide? They try to weave this in at the end but not only have we felt no building tension, it’s also a plot hole because she seemed to stay on the rock for a full day night cycle.
From about the half way mark, or even less, everything that happens is just silly and/or luck. Nancy doesn’t outwit the Shark, she out lucks it. Without going into spoilers, there’s an abundance of coincidences and illogicalities. It’s really one coincidence after another, pooling together getting us through to the 86 minute mark.

Then there’s the quality of the CGI. My god, Deep Blue Sea could have better special effects. It’s 16 years old and can hold its own compared to this. There are legitimate grounds for debate as to whether it is actually better.

Am I being too hard on the film? Were my expectations to high? I really don’t think so. I saw the trailer, I thought I knew what to expect. Obviously there’s not much of a story but I won’t mark it down for that, we expect that. The acting, it’s not going to win an academy award but we expected that. It’s meant to be a thrill ride yet the oceans not as scary as it could/should be, the jump scares are minimal, the impending dread is minimal. Too many things happen that take you out of the experience (a B movie experience), things that make you think, bull%$#. That overrides it all in the end. You leave with a sour taste in your mouth. And one more thing, that shark is mighty hungry, were talking Monty Pythons The meaning of Life restaurant scene Hungry.

As I’ve been so critical of the film here is my list of the best Shark movies I recommend entertainment wise:
Jaws, Open Water, Deep Blue Sea, The Reef (Australian movie) and Jaws 2. All of these movies are a class above. Not sure how good Jaws 2 is now days though, haven’t seen it in a while.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

This slasher film has everything, nature-documentary-style narrating, a touch of comedy, a hint of action, a bit of drama, a tad of horror, a little crime, funny faces, some Gin (I think) and a trombone. I like the way it was presented, from screams to jokes.

Green Room (2016)

I'd give it 6.5/10. It's a suspenseful thriller horror mashup that delivers a real tense punch to you. There are a couple of good performances, and some noteful gore / violence. But that's where it ends really. It's lack of originality is a flaw and in the end just joins a collection of other films that come and go and won't be very memorable in 10 years time.

Welcome to the human race...
The Guard -

Between this and Seven Psychopaths, I'm actually kind of afraid to revisit In Bruges and Calvary in case they don't hold up.

“I was cured, all right!”

08/10 I really enjoy this movie!

06/10
WTF was this movie?
The only thing that I liked was Keanu Reeves character and the soundtrack.