Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
War Dogs -

Doesn't quite have the lurid charm of Wolf of Wall Street or even Pain and Gain but strangely not as terrible as I'd expect.

Dark Places (2015)

This is a mystery/thriller that has Charlize Theron playing a woman who has been living off of stranger's donations ever since her mother and two sisters were murdered when she was a little girl. Her testimony helped put her brother, who dabbled in satanic worship, in prison. She is about broke when she gets a letter from someone offering to pay her to make an appearance. The person is a part of a club, sort of like Movie Forums, except the people follow true crime stories and actually meet. These people believe her brother is innocent, and from there we spend half of the movie with Theron investigating the facts of that night, and the other half being shown what actually happened. This is worth watching if you like twisted serial killer types of movies. The direction is merely adequate, but the story stays interesting. Also starring Christina Hendricks, Chloe Grace Moretz, Tye Sheridan, and Drea de Matteo.

Madness is the emergency exit…
Train to Busan (2016)

A pretty decent zombie flick from South Korea.

Blair Witch (2016)

Expecting something decently entertaining but disappointed. Thing is after the original TBWP, particularly in this found footage genre there were significant amount of movies came out with this "there's something in the woods" set up and even if I take it as a standalone film, this is still an average or actually a below average flick in compare to those. And as I just said, there were movies with quite similar set ups came out before but didn't get much attention & received mixed to bad reviews mostly but here the case is the title itself and it's relation to the cult favorite & one of the most influential genre films that came out in last 20 years, I guess. Otherwise, films like A NIGHT IN THE WOODS (2011), HOLLOW (2011) or NIGHTLIGHT (2015) also offered very similar premise & events in their stories where few people gets lost in the woods & experience some sinister force of unknown evil is haunting them one by one but actually worked or did better with creepy encounters/scare tactics than this one. That's why it gets me now wondering how this same film would do or left impact to the same audience if it had no connection with TBWP!?!

Anyway, in the film I found the characters were very mediocre...didn't care for any of them; jump scares weren't much effective at all, mostly filled with sudden loud noises & mix of static sounds (if anyone interested to only watch a new horror film for better & decent amount of jump scares, then I'd recommend the recent cyber horror flick FRIEND REQUEST). The ending kinda reminded me of REC finale also (mainly the way they tried to reveal the Witch this time!) but overall it was just another lame, cash in effort and another crap Adam Wingard film (expect THE GUEST which was an action-thriller & enjoyed a lot than his horror films).

I have to return some videotapes...
Waking Life (2001) -

Experimental, clunky, beautiful at times, but absurd at others... sounds like another film Linklater made recently.

Welcome to the human race...
Waking Life (2001) -

Experimental, clunky, beautiful at times, but absurd at others... sounds like another film Linklater made recently.
I'd say it sounds like most Linklater movies.

White Heat -

I get the impression that this guy's got a thing about his mum.

The Wrong Man -
+

upload pictures
Felt like watching a Hitch and i decided on this one because i don't think i've ever heard anyone talk about it. It was fantastic IMO. At this point i'm expecting to find most of his films just average or like i've seen the same thing from him before, but just about every time i end up enjoying the hell out of it.

Loved the Hitchcock introduction. It was only 30 seconds long or something but it was just so unexpected and i liked the shot of him standing in the shadows, also i am in love with his voice, everytime i hear it i'm just amazed that a person like him actually existed. I half expected the true story part to be a lie or a distortion in a similar vein to what Welles says in F For Fake because i could never trust a man with that voice haha. Reading that these events actually happened and that Hitch followed them closely after i watched it was just amazing to me, it has so many similar aspects to the stories in other Hitch films mistaken identity, distrust of authorities, etc that it was almost like these events happened just so Hitch could film them one day.

It was a Hitch film so it was of course visually interesting, even the ones i don't like have so many intriguing lighting choices, camera angles, etc. The scenes were he was walking around the stores so people could see if it was him or not were so well done, Fonda seemed so scared and confused but still so bafflingly compliant with something that surely could never have been standard procedure. The desperate "please, you know it wasn't me" look he gives when he takes his hat off was outstanding, and hermanns score made the scene all the better, so chilling and low that you barely notice it was there. Man that spinning cell scene was glorious for how short it was, i know it was really obvious but i still really likedhow it showed the way Manny's world was like at that moment and again Hermann's score played a large part in making it work. Rose going nuts was such a random unexpected thing to happen it was good though, she was great in the hairbrush scene even though the sound of the hairbrush hitting Manny was ridiculous.

Anyway great film. This was my 15th Hitchcock and i think it is fantastic that i am still loving them.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm Sorry I Was Right - 10/10

Second viewing... One of my favorite politicians (and there's less than a handful).. Eugene McCarthy led the rebellion against the war in Vietnam - probably the first anti-war candidate who dumped LBJ after New Hampshire. It's less than 30 minutes long.

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

This would seem to me to be one of the lesser known best picture winners. I hadn't recalled ever hearing of it before, and just happened to come across it on On Demand. Gregory Peck plays a widowed writer who goes to New York with his little boy and mom. He gets a job with a magazine to write a story on antisemitism, and the publisher wants something good. Meanwhile he meets the bosses niece and they fall in love. Peck's character decides to pretend that he's a Jew in order to get first hand experience. Peck is always a stud, and the rest of the cast is also very good. The story plays out nicely, and every aspect of the movie is solid. I didn't think it was a movie that is particularly great in any way, but it is well worth watching.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) My Man Godfrey (1936)
++ Very delightful cast, story and acting. Pure Hollywood fluff of the time, but purely enjoyable fluff nonetheless.

Assassination (Korean) (2015)
Completely and UTTERLY impressed with this Korean Resistance Fighter movie during World War II. While, most likely, it was far more stylized than historic in any fashion, it still remains captivating and a thoroughly enjoyable film. With so many twists and double and triple dealings it may be hard to follow for some and therefore require a second viewing; that is the one and ONLY critique I have for this film. Intelligently written with dramatic and comedic moments beautifully blended. Every involved brings so much to the screen.
A must see for those enjoy such films!!

Kundo: Age of Rampant (Korean)
+++ A period piece/Action/revenge movie that, like above, mixes comedic elements and drama with fantastic results. Being disgustingly bias when it comes to Korean movies, I, yet again, have nothing but praise for this one.

(REWATCH) The Grand Budapest Hotel
It is NOW OFFICIAL, having stated the first time seeing this that my rating would continually increase with each rewatch, it is now a 5 popcorn rating for me --

Chinatown

I have watched this probably about 15 times since I first watched it in 2012, I cant say much more than brilliant. Every time I watch it I see new things I like about it more, not only from a film creation stand point but just the way the actors work with each other. I always seem to be engaged even though I know what happens from start to finish. Definitely in my top 3 movies of all time I could even say it is number 1.

4.5/5 (because nothing is perfect )

The Big Sleep (1946)

I didn't remember any of this after 20 years. Bogart is fantastic and has some great dialogue to work with. The rest of the cast does well too. After about a third of the way through, I was thinking this would be a new favorite. I loved the story at first, and I normally favor plot rich movies, but I got a little sick of trying to follow this one. For once, I would have been happy with less plot so I could just enjoy the interplay between the characters. With more viewings and understanding, I'm sure my feelings would grow stronger.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dark Places (2015)

This is a mystery/thriller that has Charlize Theron playing a woman who has been living off of stranger's donations ever since her mother and two sisters were murdered when she was a little girl. Her testimony helped put her brother, who dabbled in satanic worship, in prison. She is about broke when she gets a letter from someone offering to pay her to make an appearance. The person is a part of a club, sort of like Movie Forums, except the people follow true crime stories and actually meet. These people believe her brother is innocent, and from there we spend half of the movie with Theron investigating the facts of that night, and the other half being shown what actually happened. This is worth watching if you like twisted serial killer types of movies. The direction is merely adequate, but the story stays interesting. Also starring Christina Hendricks, Chloe Grace Moretz, Tye Sheridan, and Drea de Matteo.
The problem with this film is how 'basic' it all is. The performances, the direction, the plot. It screams for something more, but it just didn't deliver on those things.

Even the ending, which I'm assuming if suppose to shock you, makes you roll your eyes (I did). In terms of Flynn novels, Gone Girl is obviously better and the film is better as well. It would have been interesting to see someone with a better directing resume tackle this story.

Suspect's Reviews