The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Moonrise Kingdom

When I watched this a couple years ago, it was the first movie I'd seen from director Wes Anderson. I thought it was goofy and I didn't like it. Since then, I've watched Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rushmore, and The Grand Budapest Hotel, and I've enjoyed all of them to various degrees. Maybe the director is an acquired taste because I liked Moonrise Kingdom a whole lot more this time. I would now replace goofy with quirky, and then at the very least, add amusing. The movie has a great cast, but the real star is the visuals. Every single scene is a treat to look at, and that's something I've come to appreciate more over the last couple years. The dialogue is funny and clever. It's not too long and is an easy watch. I'm not too thrilled about a 12 or 13 year old girl prancing around in her underwear, although it doesn't hurt my overall enjoyment, and I also didn't like the death of the dog. I'm glad it was nominated because I will now think of it as a good movie, and it's probably even better than that.

I plan to watch either Moonrise Kingdom or Her today. I'm leaning more towards Her though. If I'm not really in the mood to watch a Wes Anderson movie, I find his movies really difficult to sit through. Like cricket, I think his style might be an acquired taste, but one that I haven't quite acquired yet.

Glad you are starting to enjoy Anderson more Cricket. I think he is an aquired taste. I think once you start liking his humor then the rest starts to fall in line. Unfortunately the animal death thing is a staple. I think it is in nearly every Anderson film.

I was completely indifferent to Rushmore and Tennenbaums when they were released. I saw Moonrise at the theater when it was released and loved it. That started me down a rabbit hole of what I hadn't seen and rewatches and everything just clicked. He is now my favorite director. I just feel he is the perfect blend of everything I respond too. Great writer of humor blended with serious themes. His visuals are fabulous. Inventive and colorful with wonderful world building.

I nominated Rushmore, my fave Anderson, for one of the halls and it crashed and burned. I will be interested to see how Moonrise does. If it isn't my #2, something blew my mind.

Going to try to get in another movie or two today. Still waiting on my holds from the Library to come in, so it'll be either Samurai Rebellion, Flowers of War, or Embrace of the Serpent.

I don't know if anyone reads these reviews before they see the film (I do usually)...but I want to say I do not spoil the movie plot or ending in any of my write ups, so it's just my overall impression of the film. And it's safe to read before you watch the film.

Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi, 1967)

From the title you might think this is a martial arts film....it's not!
It's a serious drama and a movie that I think will surprise you guys, as it's story is very melodramatic and I mean that in a good way.

Japanese culture is fascinating to me especially it's past history and that's where this movie is set in 1725, in the days of samurai and feudal land owners. It's a very dynamic film that explores the culture, the values, and the dynamics of a family at odds with each itself. I think this is one of the best of Japanese cinema I've seen and I seen some good ones. Oh and OK there is some sword fighting for action towards the end, and I like that too, it's exciting and comes at the right time in the story. I think Cricket has a great nomination here.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Wow, what an incredibly set of movies!!! This promises to be a great HoF!!!

Moonrise Kingdom - Part of my Top 100, my favourite Wes Anderson movie. Can't wait to rewatch it!
Her - Part of my Top 100, I've been wanting to rewatch this with my gf, with whom I watched in the cinema when it came out!)
Samarai Rebellion - It's a Kobayashi, so of course I'll love it!
The Flowers of War - Never heard of it!
The Dead Girl - Never heard of it!
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - My nom. Pretty much the most fun I had watching a movie ever. It's a neo noir comedy with a mindblowing perfomance by Robert D. Jr., and a hilarious script!
Le Cercle Rouge - Been on my watchlist for ages.
Embrace of the Serpent - Have heard of it, but know nothing about it.
Good Bye Lenin! - Amazing film, that I haven't seen for a while! It'll be a pleasure to rewatch.
Bringing Up Baby - Never heard of it.

4/10 watched, and I loved all of the 4 I watched! Niiiiice!!!!

Vamp PMd me to say she can't join this one btw, and gbg said the same of course. So i won't be accepting any others since some have already started, just the 11 of us once Clazor changes his nom.

Glad you are beginning to like Wes more Cricket.

I'm not too thrilled about a 12 or 13 year old girl prancing around in her underwear,
Same here. That was what the hell.

I was completely indifferent to Rushmore and Tennenbaums when they were released.
Rushmore was the first Wes i ever saw and i loved it right away. Either that or Moonrise is my second fave of his behind Fantastic Mr.Fox. On the other hand i despised Tennenbaums the first time i watched it and had no intention of watching it again until one day i couldn't pick anything on Netflix so i just went for that fully expecting to turn it off after 10 minutes. Thankfully i like it quite a bit now.

Well Guap technically you are too late. I'm ok with you still joining but if anyone else has a problem with it then i'll have to say no sorry. I'll take your nom for now until i hear from everybody. Looks interesting. It is Bashu The Little Stranger btw, an Iranian Drama.