255 .......................... 292

October 20th

—— 2015 ——
INSIDE
OUT

—— animation ——

Alright, I need y’all emotions to calm the f*ck down in that control center
or I’ma go cry loud as hell in the fetal position because of all your sh*t

Thinking about it, Disney Pixar is far from back to form with this film, but have instead entered a whole new shape of imaginative imagery and serious scripting, while completely redesigning their conceptual vision as their newest memory lane of marvelous moviemaking. ‘Inside Out’ is actually quite nostalgic – not as a medium but as a memory from our own childhood – bringing us to a recollection of both individual and collective memories we had with our loved ones and with ourselves. Pixar have always loved to play with our emotions and have now finally decided to make that term literal. If completely invested, experiencing ‘Inside Out’ is like an emotional explosion of vibrant colors, colorful recollections, carefully inserted harmonious melodies and mellow and moving mind-trips through a paralleled (e)motion picture of Riley’s world as well as our own. I was so invested in this movie myself, that during the first few minutes I was already moved to tears of joy, while just moments later, there was a hint of sadness, a tiny bit of anger, a small dose of fear and perhaps a pinch of disgust.

‘Inside Out’ is endlessly imaginative and eternally expressive, putting forward the perfect balance of pretty much every element there is. I love the fun and amusing entertainment it brings, I enjoy the visual and aural experience it is and I like the lingering sense of something serious and the hint of a higher purpose or meaning. I mean, this description does come close to almost all Pixar projects, but what truly projects this picture towards higher powers and leaves it in a possible dangerous freefall, is how it gradually gets darker and more mature. Pixar is often bold but also tend to bail out slightly in the last minutes for pure fear of becoming too dark and depressing. Particularly in recent years, Disney and Pixar have both made a point to pull away from the cute and cuddly comfort zone, insisting more and more on the greater intelligence and understanding of the smallest viewer. The final and possibly fatal conclusive climax to ‘Toy Story 3’ might be one of the best examples, while ‘Inside Out’ actually expands on that aspect and evolves even more as a story than simply a moment.

‘Inside Out’ is an emotional roller-coaster-ride on the train of thought, playing beautifully on the heartstrings and presenting itself as a picturesque visualization of a delightful dream. All the characters are wonderful and might also be the first example of a collection of excellent characters with such “one note personalities”, if you know what I mean. For once, even the comedic relief character was someone to care for and who had an important place and progression in the story that could compensate for his slightly silly set-up. And all in all, every one of these characters are all set up inside an almost over-ambitious and overwhelming original vision, filled with amusing references and clever humor. The movie just has so much to say with so many layers between so many elements inside so many themes and build around all these emotions. I mean, it’s hard not to get your emotions going about what's going on about the emotions in this film, you know? With my first watch of this, I haven't felt this exhausted, drained and invested in a movie since forever. Indeed, ‘Inside Out’ was one of those movies for me… one of those movies that just stays there, like a core memory…

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
247 .......................... 283

October 10th

—— 1971 ——
"DUEL"
—— thriller ——

+

- CM Punk
http://threemanbooth.files.wordpress...unkshrug02.gif

Somehow that seems to be the only thing you can say, Derek.

Um, I seem to have given the two the same rating (whether Joy Ride is + or - I don't know), so which one I like better is a question left unanswered for now... I'll like to say 'Duel' is the one, but I don't know if that is because I really feel like that or because I feel like annoying you.

Great review of Inside Out . I don't like it quite as much as you but i do think it is excellent and agree with just about everything you said. After watching Finding Dory the other day i have it as my sixth favourite Pixar, the only one i haven't watched is Cars 2.

Great review of Inside Out . I don't like it quite as much as you but i do think it is excellent and agree with just about everything you said. After watching Finding Dory the other day i have it as my sixth favourite Pixar, the only one i haven't watched is Cars 2.
And you might as well keep it that way.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been running through reviews I've missed while i was away this spring/summer and like the others, it has,as I remember it being, a joy to stroll through.
LOVED reading your reviews of Disney animations and the fact that it started with my two ultimate favs: Robin Hood and Winnie the Pooh was beyond awesome (and yes, Winnie the Pooh IS THE VERY BEST name for a character, ever)

HIP HIP MMooray!

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now, ed, but I did see you bombard my inbox with rep.

Glad you enjoyed the reviews and my appreciation for people like you is unlimited. Thank you, man.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
256 .......................... 293

October 21st

—— 1985 ——

—— adventure ——
PART I

REWATCH
Back in the past, I can’t quite recollect ever experiencing this film in full, even though
there is something that tells me I definitely lived through this movie once or twice before.

Unfortunately, the memories are not quite clear enough for me to properly evaluate and thereby enlighten you all about my past experience. But with said, I have since seen this classic a couple of times and my last viewing was almost a year ago. Therefore, in order to present this review properly I must move my mind far back in time, precisely to October 21st 2015, where I have to intellectually revive my viewing of this movie, hopefully resulting in a bright spark inside my head of recollected imagery, which will bring the memories back with me... back to the future!

'Back to the Future' is directed by the cinematic cousin of Steven Spielberg and produced by the actual Steven Spielberg and stars the Heavy Fox and the Great Scott in the leading roles. To a fair share of folks, this movie is either a nostalgic cult classic or classic childhood cinema, but I’m not sure if I fit either of those. I certainly have a weak spot for time travel themes, though mainly when it is being played out as terror opposed to jokes. I also like when movies are kind of complex or mysterious, but it is clear that Robert Zemeckis definitely plays more on what is mostly amusing rather than confusing and the thrill ride more than the mind trip. 'Back to the Future' is wonderfully simple in its set-up and it is perfect as an adventure for the whole family, since the movie plays itself safe though super cool at the same time. Not that it doesn't try anything, but it is all about how it happens rather than what happens – and in a way, the audience already know that although we don’t know it yet and that makes for a fun time-modifying experiment and a terrific movie experience as well. 'Back to the Future' reassures the future for films of the family adventure genre and the story, scenery and soundtrack is something that is instantly recognizable.

Anyways, as stated above the story is simple and pretty much moves straight into the peak of the story – only that element doesn't become the peak of the plot until the end. We are at a parking lot, where Doc is testing the DeLorean time machine with the help of Marty. Unfortunately, he stole parts for what makes it all possible, which results in a group of terrorists taking out Doc and leaving Marty to escape into the future by accident. Here he ends up ruining the time where his parents first met and thereby jeopardizing his own future... On the outside, this is a fun and properly paced "period piece" of peculiar proportions, where Marty must fight time itself to rescue his parents and reestablish his own timeline, which is done with a dose of referential humor, self-aware amusements and pure 80s charm... On the other side, this is a twisted story of a young boy's weird relationship with a mentally unstable old man who is shot dead by terrorists and sends this boy back to the past where he ends up in an involuntary incest-based relationship with his own mother, which he must put to an end by reestablishing the spark between his mother and father. He succeeds and thereby selfishly changes things for the better of him and his own family, only to ruin it for others around him – in other words, great family fun!

It is always amazing to move a movie plot upside down and turn-table it towards twisted depressing directions. Anyhow, I feel like this film speaks for itself and talking about it apparently isn't that easy. I don't know, I guess most people already know the classic status of this film and trying to find new angles to an already astonishing piece of film-production is probably uncalled for anyways. It is fun, fast-paced and fundamentally perfect in my opinion, though as previously stated, the only thing that drags it down a notch is towards the end, but it is nothing catastrophic and not exactly anything concrete to complain about either. So how about we choose not to complain and instead enjoy the entertainment of this film for what it is and what it does so delightfully well. The film may be about going back to the future, but a majority of the fun is all about finding the ways around the past – past or future, this is an ’85 movie going 88 miles per hour in a two-hour window, which turns into a 20th century milestone in cinema history and continues straight into the 90s, as well as into a complete trilogy – but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here…

+

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
257 .......................... 293

October 21st

—— 1989 ——

—— adventure ——
PART II

REWATCH
Soon after the past events of the first film, Doc comes back from the future to present day,
in order to warn Marty about the future of his future family.

Despite the warnings of never to tamper with what already happened, he ends up joining Doc on a mission, which admittedly isn’t in conflict with the above comment, since the events hasn't actually happened yet. But future or past, the rule is always not to alter or change anything you wouldn't be able to prevent in present time. However, the mission stands no matter the stance of their beliefs – which they must indeed bail from – all the while future plans must be changed in time, to prevent time in jail. With that in mind, Doc and Marty and Jennifer all travel to October 21st 2015 and yours truly stand ready to welcome them into our present day...

Despite taking place in the future instead of the past, the theme and title is kept tightly interconnected with the imaginative original by having Doc present the destiny of Marty and Jennifer only to have them travel back together with him, back to the future, in order to prevent it all. Things also take a turn for the worst, which forces Marty from the future to the present to the past and back again. Put all this into a single feature film and you got multiple storylines, which might as well end in one mighty mess. Everything feels more ambitious alright, but also less elegant and straight forward than its predecessor. The style also feels less tongue in cheek and more thrown in your face than earlier, which leaves every element elevated another level or two in terms of goofiness and gags. In short, the futuristic setting feels more exaggerated than experimental and the characters and their respective actors follow this recipe very closely – especially Biff appears more bloated and blabbering an idiot than ever before.

Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that this film is still fun and charming enough to elevate the campy craziness out of an imbecile state and straight into its own quirky comfort zone. The successor is a weirder and wilder ride than its predecessor – and slightly less successful overall – but the confidence caressing the concept and the cool attitude attached to the ambition still manage to make this a fun time completely on its own time and premise. I can never quite click with it all, but when the film travels past the halfway mark and from future to past, while intervening its two timelines and overlapping in and out of each other, that is when the persistent attempt to entertain becomes articulated enough and ultimately electrifies my endorphins and releases them as a result of finally having a good time, through and through, after so many time travels.

In a way, things do come together, though the journey there is both tacky and turbulent. It feels elaborate and rushed at the same time and despite its highpoints the movie feels like a faint nose dive that is enjoyable though a notch or more below the more successful original – and despite not being on the nose and more a product of noisy entertainment, it is a worthy journey through time and in line with the original. It has enough charm and fun to find its way into the catalogue of classic and easily accessible entertainment, at least at inside the core, despite the rather messy exterior. The film is funny but not fully functioning; fast-paced but not entirely fault free... in the end though, it is still worthy of another time trip in the driver’s seat of the DeLorean dream machine!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
IMO, the original Back to the Future is far superior to Back to the Future Part II. It's a lot more fun, and a lot less complicated. I remember when Back to the Future Part II was released, many people complained that it was too confusing, but I didn't think it was confusing. I just thought it wasn't as good as the first movie.

And it kind of annoyed me that Doc Brown made such a big deal in the first movie about how "Nobody should know too much about their own destiny." because if they know too much about their future, they can endanger their own existence, but he brings Marty to the future to fix what's going to happen to his family in the future. Doesn't that go against everything he told Marty in the first movie about not knowing about his own future?

I'm looking forward to your review of Back to the Future Part III.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Doesn't that go against everything he told Marty in the first movie about not knowing about his own future?
Yes, but he already did that himself in the first one when he taped Marty's note and put on a bulletproof vest.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, but he already did that himself in the first one when he taped Marty's note and put on a bulletproof vest.

Yes, but then he warns Marty again in Back to the Future Part II when Marty asks about his future, (if he became a rich rock star).

Marty McFly: "Tell me about my future. I know I make it big, but do I become, like, a rich rock star?"
Doc: "Please Marty. No one should know too much about their destiny."

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
258 .......................... 295

October 23rd

—— 1990 ——

—— adventure ——
PART III

REWATCH
So, if you thought the first follow-up felt a bit tacked on, unwanted and unwarranted for,
then this final entry in the ‘Back to the Future’ trilogy surely puts itself on a wanted poster
of wrong moves within the movie business

In all honesty, I was more than fine with the first film being a standalone affair, but despite a lot of problems, the first sequel saved itself from sinking by being entertaining, while pushing the envelope even further in many aspects, technical and script-wise, for better and for worse. This one is also envelope-pushing, but only in terms of story-centered set ups, since it starts out where the second film ended, which sees Marty receive an envelope with a letter from Doc and how he is doomed to a destiny of certain death… Anyways, in many ways, you could call this callback to the lost times of cowboys and Indians an intriguing set up and simultaneously a smart way to sidetrack itself from falling into all too familiar territory for the third time in a row. Because time travel can get tiring with time, especially if you keep on crossing the same story and cutting through the same events over and over and putting on the cowboy hat was a welcome western change...

Unfortunately, director Robert Zemeckis seemed to sit on his high horse way too much throughout most of this movie – and being filmed back to back with 'Back to the Future Part II' might have been a bad decision as well – resulting in a clouded vision without a new and fresh directorial angle to film from. He might have ridden right by the same old setting, with a century or more, but everything else is all too familiar to feel fresh or seriously fun throughout. The way this film plays out comes off dustier than the setting itself and older than the period of which this film is set in. Marty, and especially Doc, repeats their catchphrases more commonly than what feels comfortable and it feels more like a forced fan service than a forwarding of any plot or character. The only reason I can actually ride this one out myself, is because of the small glimpses of something greater combined with some characters who do feel worn out and barely worth it, but thankfully they are still played by the likable duo of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, who admittedly can do a lot better than this. Essentially, this period piece has turned into a parody piece and all the actors and actresses playing "dress up" with their family roots is beginning to feel frantic and fatal for the franchise. Everything is knocked up another notch and Zemeckis ultimately finds himself in a knot after putting himself on the ropes way too much with this one.

Frankly, I remember really loving this entry on first watch, but I sure have no idea what I ever saw in this film to begin with. Granted, Zemeckis did have a train of thought that resulted in the entertaining and exciting finale on the train tracks, trying to reach 88 miles per hour before they fall into the canyon. I feel like the movie began to pick up a bit when we got closer to the climax. The rest felt foolish and forgettable in a story that felt more like a stumble than a structuring of an actual plot; a compilation of character moments and major plot points in the first two films, now rehashed and rewritten for a new setting. It worked okay in the first sequel, but this sure ain't no two-trick pony... The first one was a prancing idea, which had the first sequel barely holding on to its predecessor… and now, with a third film, the story is basically dragging its own characters and story behind, quite literally, in a dusty and dated mess of a movie that just have me eager to go back to the future and out of this disaster. I have to say, Zemeckis really is a rootin' tootin' tool for trashing this franchise the way he did. He may see himself as a son-of-gun with some seriously slangin', but in my eyes he was seriously slacking and shooting loose powder through most of the runtime. And honestly, this franchise ran out of steam already by the second film and making a third one I think Zemeckis is just shooting himself in both feet at this point...