How do you guys see ratings?

Tools    

It seems like everyone views ratings differently, some would say a 3/5 movie is badly rated, mediocre or good.

What number /5 do you guys see as passable?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It seems like everyone views ratings differently, some would say a 3/5 movie is badly rated, mediocre or good.

For me, a 3/5 is a good movie, but just average good. It's a movie that's worth watching once, but don't expect it to be anything special.

A 3.5/5 is a good movie that I would probably watch again, and maybe even recommend it to other people.

Anything 4 or above is a great movie.

For me, a 3/5 is a good movie, but just average good. It's a movie that's worth watching once, but don't expect it to be anything special.

A 3.5/5 is a good movie that I would probably watch again, and maybe even recommend it to other people.

Anything 4 or above is a great movie.

Yeah, that's generally how I see it too, but with some exceptions of some like 2.5's that are in no way critically good or maybe even well made that can be allot of fun.

Anything above a
is pretty rare for me. I think i've seen enough films at this point that a
is only deserving of something that holds up on a second watch. Not to put too much importance on something as ridiculous as a rating but i find it difficult to give anything more than
the first time i watch it, mostly because i know initial reactions for me at least are often more blind to flaws and overly enthusiastic.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Anything less than 5/5 is a waste of time.
Quoted for the truth.

Suspect's Reviews

If I'm honest, I don't believe a complex opinion can be truly represented with numbers, and so most of the time I either don't read reviews or take them with a pinch of salt as to form my own opinion from just the film itself, rather than being influenced by possible contradictory opinions.
To put that into context, I'm one of the few who actually thought BvS was a good film... so in internet terms, everything I just said was obviously invalid.

Bottom of the barrel filmmaking
Very bad, pretty much no redeemable qualities
Very bad, but can see some glimmers of good
Poor, but not to an unwatchable extent
Okay/decent, normally some bad, some good
Good solid film
Very good, but something prevents it from being great
Great film
Pretty much a masterpiece
The same, but an absolute favourite that I would be happy to put in a "best ever films list", normally something I've watched a couple of times, unless it absolutely blows me away the first time.

I normally try and rate films between 0-4, in a similar way Ebert did. So his 2.5/4 would be a 2.5/5 on my scale, it's decent, I can see why some people like it... then if I give it 4.5 or 5, that would be to him like adding it to his "Great Movies" section.

I tend to tie my own % ratings with the popcorns, which has made me see other people's ratings the same way.

0%

1-10%

11-20%

21-30%

31-40%

41-50%

51-60%

61-70%

71-80%

81-90%

91-100%

I think the out-of-5 rating is a waste of time because there's no room to move. If you're doing it out of 10 you can at least have shades of opinion but with 5 you'll frequently have to compromise.

A 2 star movies good if you want to watch something, and in a pinch. Sometimes when I watch a film, I dont want to have to think, and theyre good for that. 1 star means stay away!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I think the out-of-5 rating is a waste of time because there's no room to move. If you're doing it out of 10 you can at least have shades of opinion but with 5 you'll frequently have to compromise.
We have the 1/2 rating option, so, I just condense my out of 10 ratings into an out of 5 rating. I've been trying to stay consistent between here and IMDb, so, my 7/10 there is a 3.5/5 here.

Just in general...

To me, these ratings are subjective. That means they vary based on the mood I'm in or the company I'm with, when I see a given film. It's just a review of a first impression a movie made on me. I am happy to dish out 1/5 or 5/5.

I'd hate to see every movie as a 2.5/5 to 3.5/5. I'd be miserable, knowing I almost never enjoy or experience anything to its best or worst. I would start to wonder, why I can't hone in on my tastes more adequately and why I'm unable to hit better movies for me, ones that connect with my taste, with a much higher frequency. Unless, I just like to complain and prefer not to like or dislike anything fully. Maybe it's the fault of most films, that they are only average. Maybe I've seen too many films and nothing moves me anymore. A 3/5 just always feels like I'm sitting on the fence.

I try to use my better judgement and try not to watch something I know I'll hate, even before I start. That pretty much limits my ratings to the top half of the 5/5 scale.

On the forum, I actually prefer reading reviews with ratings that either tank or soar. They tend to bring out more emotion in the reader and often promote more discussion. I tend to ignore the middle of the road, long-winded neutral drivel and analysis. I also prefer short reviews.