Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't seen Max Manus, but it is at my library so i'll be picking it up soon and checking it out, THANKS

Star Trek: Beyond

Saw it in a HUGE Arena here. First time I've been there. Can't believe how much Zagreb's grown. It took me 45 mins of going through parts I've never seen before until there and that's after I got off the tram. (It's still way in the city). I got a feel what's it like in the west nowadays. The place itself is like a small town, at least for my visions. I have very found memories of that day. There's a sports arena, and the arena itself, shops etc. The theaters are on the 3rd and highest floor! I almost got paralized like in Vertigo.

As for the movie itself, it was the 1st one I've seen in IMAX 3D. Gods, what an experience! I thought someone destroyed my mind. The best part is Simon Pegg. I like him in everything I've seen.

Out of the Past (1947)

From the top 100's noirs list and the Ebert list, this was fantastic, but I'm going to have to watch it again to fully appreciate it. Robert Mitchum is great in the lead, but it's Kirk Douglas who steals the spotlight every scene he's in. The rest of the cast is also great. The story is one that you have to pay attention to, but not one that's hard to follow as long as you do. I think this is a cinch for the eventual 40's countdown as long as enough members watch it.

Out of the Past is a very good film, I think a handful of people saw it for an old noir HOF, although I'd like to watch it again before the eventual 40s countdown to see if it becomes an absolute favourite, I suspect it will comfortably make it anyway.

Although not from the 40s, from Tourneur I prefer Wichita and The Night of the Demon, which seem to be talked about less. Have you seen them Cricket?

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)

I had this movie on my watchlist for a while, and finally put it on thanks to Derek's recommendation. This is a documentary and found footage style horror film that follows the doings of a serial killer. It's effectively sick, and not for most people. It plays out like one of those true crime TV shows, with tapes being found of the killer filming his actions. Some of the acting and dialogue is mediocre at best, but this is pretty solid for fans of disturbing movies.
D*mn I didn't even see your review Glad you like it tho it's one of my favorite disturbing movie

Hana-Bi -
-

Good first experience with Kitano. I wouldn't say it will become a favourite but i liked a lot of things about it and i'm interested in watching more from him. I didn't realize until after it was done that Kitano wws Nishi since i'd never seen him before i thought he did a good job. I felt for him at times, he clearly had things rough but his brutality made it difficult to truly sympathize with him. The film got a bit slow at times but i think this made the violence all the more effective, since every thing was calm then it just exploded into a brutal beating or whatever. Good film.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Legend (2015)

Two hammers up. What an actor. What a soundtrack. Hardy. Outstanding. Legend.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hammers.png
Views:	750
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	27021  

Unregistered User
Hana-Bi -
-

Good first experience with Kitano. I wouldn't say it will become a favourite but i liked a lot of things about it and i'm interested in watching more from him. I didn't realize until after it was done that Kitano wws Nishi since i'd never seen him before i thought he did a good job. I felt for him at times, he clearly had things rough but his brutality made it difficult to truly sympathize with him. The film got a bit slow at times but i think this made the violence all the more effective, since every thing was calm then it just exploded into a brutal beating or whatever. Good film.
Cant go wrong with Kitano. Try Sonatine next Camo.

Unregistered User

High -Rise (2015)

Now this was disappointing. I loved all Ben Wheatley work right up until A Field in England and although I enjoyed High-Rise slightly more, it still was a let down. For a movie subject of a descent into anarchy amongst residents in a high-rise apartment block, where was the tension? No feelings of claustrophobia and such a flat atmosphere. I can relate it to The Neon Demon, which I watched 2 nights ago and loved, in that its visually superb to look at but in this case, its a case of style over substance.

+

Oh and it also gets an extra mark for this:-

this is where I usually take my dog out for a walk. Admittedly, it was impressive that they turned it into the top floor of the High-Rise block.

Welcome to the human race...
High -Rise (2015)

Now this was disappointing. I loved all Ben Wheatley work right up until A Field in England and although I enjoyed High-Rise slightly more, it still was a let down. For a movie subject of a descent into anarchy amongst residents in a high-rise apartment block, where was the tension? No feelings of claustrophobia and such a flat atmosphere. I can relate it to The Neon Demon, which I watched 2 nights ago and loved, in that its visually superb to look at but in this case, its a case of style over substance.
I do have to wonder how much of that lack of tension was deliberate, though, like maybe it's not meant to be intense or thrilling or anything like that so much as numbing to reflect how the characters feel about letting things slide into disrepair (especially when the opening makes it a foregone conclusion and the actual shift from ordinary to anarchic happens in the space of a single semi-comprehensible montage). If anything, I'm not sure that it's meant to be thrilling in any kind of conventional sense - it does open with a flash-forward to the high-rise already in ruins, so maybe it's just trying to undercut the tension on purpose.

Anyway...

One More Time With Feeling -
, maybe

Harder to process than your average music documentary, but not necessarily for the worse. Will have to mull this over.

High-Rise

The biggest problem with this one was fast switching between many very different scenes. It makes it hard for me to care about what happens. Because of confusion if nothing else, but lack off character development too. Regardless, a film like this can grow on you with re-watches.

Unregistered User
I do have to wonder how much of that lack of tension was deliberate, though, like maybe it's not meant to be intense or thrilling or anything like that so much as numbing to reflect how the characters feel about letting things slide into disrepair (especially when the opening makes it a foregone conclusion and the actual shift from ordinary to anarchic happens in the space of a single semi-comprehensible montage). If anything, I'm not sure that it's meant to be thrilling in any kind of conventional sense - it does open with a flash-forward to the high-rise already in ruins, so maybe it's just trying to undercut the tension on purpose.

Anyway...

One More Time With Feeling -
, maybe

Harder to process than your average music documentary, but not necessarily for the worse. Will have to mull this over.

Possibly Iro. I get that it wasn't aiming at being thrilling, I don't think that would have worked either. But for me it seriously lacked any tension and was so difficult for me to engage with. So much so that at times it just became boring. I'm not asking for action packed excitement here but surely a high-rise apartment block descending into violent chaos can leave you feeling some sort of emotion? Cause I got nothing. I think with a director with such capabilities as Wheatley I just expected more.

Show Me Love -
-

I liked plenty of Lilya 4-Ever but more than anything it just depressed me. Still it gave me hopes for finding and hopefully loving a less heavy Moodyson film. While i'm hesitant to say i loved this i did enjoy it more than Lilya and it is something i'd like to visit again. It was mostly the parts of Lilya i liked, them just partying without the depressing last third. Like Lily this reminded me of a Ken Loach film, very natural acting and dialogue. I don't really know how to describe how it looks; amateur is the word that comes to mind but that sounds negative and i think it is a good thing. All this makes for a really realistic feeling film.

This film is pretty miraculous in that it is populated by these moody, angsty teenagers and somehow i rarely found them annoying. Man, i felt terrible for Agnes when no one showed up to her party. She was pretty vile to the girl in the wheelchair but i still felt bad for her. Mostly because i completely get especially at that age when something sh!tty happens to you you feel like exploding, i know i at least acted completely awful on more than one occasion when i was made to feel bad.

I liked Jonah at first even though the age difference was concerning he seemed like a nice guy. That was until he tried to take advantage of her drunkess in the bathroom, he wasn't forceful but if she went along with it he clearly would've and that's a much younger girl who is not in the right mind, it really creeped me out. I really warmed to Elin. She was a bitch but she instantly felt bad about it and wanted to go back and apologize as soon as she left the house. Also loved her relationship with her sister. I was the same with my sister as a kid, usually hanging around with the same people and falling out all the time. It's different since they were both female of course and would discuss things i never would with my sister but definitely related to that relationship the most.

Anyway really good film. Think the fact that i started talking about my own teenage self and how i related to this is a massive positive.