Best Movie In a Horror Series

Tools    

Friday The 13th - Freddy Vs. Jason (definitely the most fun and two horror icons face/off is epic)
Halloween - Halloween (1978)
A Nightmare On Elm Street - 1984 version
Saw - Saw (2004)
Scream - Scream (1996)
Alien - Alien (1979)
Predator - Predator (2010 version)
Phantasm - Phantasm (1979)
Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2
Child's Play - Child's Play 2
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 1974 version
Hellraiser - Hellraiser (1987)
Final Destination - Final Destination (2000)
Paranormal Activity - Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014)
Insidious - Insidious (2010)
Hannibal Lecter - Red Dragon (2002)
Romero's Living Dead - Dawn Of The Dead
Return Of The Living Dead - only see the first...
Poltergeist - Poltergeist (1982)
Jaws - Jaws (1975)
Cube - only see the first
Tremors - only see the first
Leprechaun - Leprechaun 3

All of Romero's classic dead series movies are really good. Only one I don't like is the newest one that that he made back in like 09 or something called "Survival of the Dead". I actually quite enjoyed Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead.

Scream 1 is the best in that series but Scream 4 is close second to me. I personally don't like Scream 2 or 3 that much.

Army of Darkness still counts as horror even if it has plenty of comedy elements as well and that is my favorite Evil Dead movie.

Can't go wrong with the Original Alien.

After Halloween 2 I lost interest in the Halloween series but I actually quite enjoyed the Halloween remake in 2007, but 2009 Halloween 2 is garbage.

Friday The 13th remake wasn't actually that bad either but Friday The 13th Part 2 is my personal favorite with the actual introduction of Jason.

anything after the 1st Jaws is just unwatchable to me so that one is pretty obvious.

None of the new Horror series are any good to me. I watched Paranormal Activity 1 and I was done there. Final Destination I liked the 1st one but after that they fall off for me.

The first 3 Saws weren't bad but they milk that **** way too long I didn't even watch the final 2.

Predator 1 I liked but not 2. The remake I don't even think counts as a horror movie, if it does it isn't that a scary but as a sci-fi action it actually wasn't terrible. I was actually surprised by it (Danny Trejo seriously shouldn't of been in it though)

Silence of the Lambs is the only Hannibal Lector movie I like. It is so good but the 2 sequels just don't work for me. Hopkins is good in them but the movies themselves fall flat for me. Especially replacing Jodie Foster with Julianne Moore in the second movie really bothered me. I like Moore but I just hate recasting in general unless you are rebooting or remaking a series.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Predators wasn't a remake, the events of the first movie are even briefly mentioned.

Yeah, totally different concept and everything.

Been a while since this thread was last active. The Conjuring and The Purge are eligible for this with the newest entries that saw release this year. The Conjuring 2 is definitely the best yet of the series IMO (and yes, Annabelle is being counted as part of the series). The Purge: Election Year was solid but I think I like Anarchy the best by a smidge.

You need to add the Exorcist series. The first film in the series of course wins.
The Exorcist III > The Exorcist. IMO.

The first Saw is what horror is all about. Absolutely loved it and Wan still has yet to top it, it's sad he's now making furious 7 and the insidious bullcrap

"Saw" symbolizes everything that was wrong with 2000s cinema- choppy editing, lack of smooth story flow, excessive and pointless torture imagery, over dramatic and grandiose/ lacking nuance in it's experience delivery.

Very funny because I re watched it tonight and it has not aged well and I agree with everything you said.

It's been about 5 years since if actually sit down and watch it and it was rough,it's no Shakespeare

But it still has more of a brain and ambition than most horror films, and there's a reason it was so successful.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
But it still has more of a brain and ambition than most horror films, and there's a reason it was so successful.
It wasn't outrageously successful, it was more of a cult phenomena I thought. And the people that did rave about it were mostly gorehounds and people who wanted to test their mettle, and who aren't genre fans. And I think that we can all agree, just because it's "popular" it doesn't also mean that it has any true artistic merit or is of any real value to the genre, just look at the Justin Beibers of the world, they are living examples of this. Leigh Whannell and James Wan best contributions to the genre are Dead Silence and the Insidious trilogy.

Very funny because I re watched it tonight and it has not aged well and I agree with everything you said.

I just rewatched Saw 1 & 2 and they felt like average CSI episodes. There are better CSI episodes especially in earlier seasons.

As far as brain and ambition go, I thought 1 & 2 were pretty straight forward in general and moral sense, if you pick up on few key pillar ideas that hold this thing together. I'm not bothered to watch further sequels.

The first Saw made decent money in the box office and since DVD sales were so lucrative they made more

the "Saw" films still had a cool idea and they ran with it. They are bad though, even awful, in some films.

Billy the puppet on his tricycle has just as welcome a spot next to any other famous horror icons though and the filmmakers have my credit for that. They created the most popular horror icon of the early 2000s.

I still think the first two Saw movies are genuinely solid and well-made movies and are more akin to psychological thrillers. It wasn't until the third they started becoming gruesome for the sake of it.

Blair Witch will be eligible with the surprise third movie out in a few weeks. I've seen the original and find it meh, never saw the second.

Friday The 13th - Part 6, really embraced the campy nature of the series and revived the franchise, the first of many fun sequels.
Halloween - The Original is the better film but I have a soft spot for Part 4.
A Nightmare On Elm Street - Never really got into the series, but I enjoyed New Nightmare.
Saw - The 5th film seemed like it had more story than most of the movies, although most are forgettable at best. Not a huge fan.
Scream - The original, it revived the Slasher genre. Scream 2 is also a underrated movie, feel free to ignore 3 and 4 though.
Alien - Aliens
Predator - OG
Phantasm - Haven't seen any
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II, took everything good from the original and spiced it up.
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Although being one of the most overrated movies of all time, the original is the only good one out of their franchise.
Hellraiser - Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Final Destination - Only seen 5, so I guess it wins be default.
Paranormal Activity - None