Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My Dinner With Andre - 10/10

There's a friend I talk to on the phone with for hours every day. He never wants to talk about movies, but he recommended me this, and I loved it. There are parts that were annoying (Andre rambling about nothing) but I love conversational movies that talk about something.

[center]The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)

I had this movie on my watchlist for a while, and finally put it on thanks to Derek's recommendation. This is a documentary and found footage style horror film that follows the doings of a serial killer. It's effectively sick, and not for most people. It plays out like one of those true crime TV shows, with tapes being found of the killer filming his actions. Some of the acting and dialogue is mediocre at best, but this is pretty solid for fans of disturbing movies.
Ill pass on that one then. Really had a problem with Sinister, and itd most likely effect me the same way.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I have no idea how long I've been gone (been away preparing for college, attending classes, etc.), so if I post something again, please forgive me (Note: this is from the past few weeks):

Bio-Dome - 1/10 - Honestly, my choice for worst film of 1996. Nothing about this movie was good. It was bad even by Pauly Shore standards, if that says something to you. I recommend that you either stay 50 feet away from it, or (if you're a brave soul) destroy it in the fires of Mt. Doom to play it safe.

Home (2015) - 6/10 - Okay storyline, decent voice acting, great animation, and honestly some catchy music - no wonder it was my niece's favorite movie (until she discovered Frozen, that is)!

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 10/10 - I was honestly blown away by this movie. Fantastic acting, great story and dialogue, the sound and VFX were awesome, I loved how it was action-packed as well as comical. Edgar Wright does know how to make awesome movies! Probably crazy to say, but it's in my top 10 for best films of 2010!

Batman (1966) - 4/10 - Anyone who knows me knows that I can't tolerate corny superhero stuff. With that said, I wanted to like this movie. I really did, since Batman is my favorite superhero. However, everything about it was just too cheesy for me. I couldn't really get into it. Still much better than Batman & Robin, though.

Not Cool - 2/10 - When I watched this, it was honestly my first exposure to YouTuber Shane Dawson. I had no idea what to expect. It had terrible acting, a bland story, and forgettable dialogue. What saved it from a 1/10 was the jokes - well, some of them. About 1/3 of the jokes did make me laugh, while 1/3 more just weren't funny to me, and another 1/3 was just downright disgusting. I still haven't checked this guy's channel out, but if the movie is any indicator of his YouTube work, I probably won't enjoy it.

Batman Begins - 10/10 - By far the best superhero origin movie that I've ever seen! Everything about this movie was fantastic! Overall, I'd say it's my third favorite Batman movie that I've seen, behind Batman: Mask of the Phantasm at #2 and The Dark Knight at #1!

Welcome to the human race...
Don't Breathe -

more like Don't Fall Asleep thank you I'm here all week

I have to return some videotapes...
Don't Breathe (2016) -
+

Twisted film. I think this kid Dylan Minnette is going places. Great in Prisoners and great in this.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Lolita (S. Kubrick, 1962)
(rewatch)

I never read Nabokov's book but this watch made me terribly curious about it. I love that Kubrick portrayed this story as a pure Noir and I'd like to see if the movie follows the book in terms of style and atmosphere.
Though I didn't like some parts of this as much as the first time I saw it, it was still a great watch!
I found the first chapter to be a bit dragged which made the subsequent scenes a bit too rushed. However, I liked how the last chapter, with Lolita pregnant and married, was prepared. The dialogue between Lo and Humbert on this scene alone makes up for a great deal of flaws the movie might have. It's the first time we see the true Lolita and it's even scary how conscious and cold she was the whole time.
This was the first British film of Kubrick and after it he didn't make a movie that was less than a masterpiece. Lolita,not being at the same level as the ones that followed it's still a hell of a start!

-

Infinitely Polar Bear (2015)

Baskin (2015)

Learning that this was based off of a short film makes a lot of sense. There's just not a lot here. Any impression left by the potent, albeit cliche, color palette and occult aesthetic is squandered by questionable scoring, a padded runtime, an increasingly incoherent plot, and an eye roll inducing attempt at resolution. Baskin is flawed, but I'm still interested in another feature from the filmmaker. Craft and ambition are always welcome to a genre as troubled as horror.

http://boxd.it/b5WWr

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The Maltese Faclon (1941)

Good story, bad characters (mostly)

I didn't find any of the major characters in this appealing. No, that's not true. The one character I actually liked was Bogart's secretary, a no nonsense woman who's the only one that seems able to be on the same level as Bogart and acctually talks back to him. The rest of the cast is one unlikable role after another culminating with Bogart's character. Sam Spade seemed like an unemotional douch all the way to the end, where he did the right thing simply because the script called for it. The story as such wasn't bad, a simple enough story but told well. If this is what noir is in a nutshell, I think I'll see a few more.

Baskin (2015)

Learning that this was based off of a short film makes a lot of sense. There's just not a lot here. Any impression left by the potent, albeit cliche, color palette and occult aesthetic is squandered by questionable scoring, a padded runtime, an increasingly incoherent plot, and an eye roll inducing attempt at resolution. Baskin is flawed, but I'm still interested in another feature from the filmmaker. Craft and ambition are always welcome to a genre as troubled as horror.

http://boxd.it/b5WWr

This basically sums it up. I was a little more forgiving with my rating due to its visual efforts. But it did seem to hold back a lot where the subject matter calls for a more in your face approach. I also think the director has potential to put forth something impressive and I believe with time he just might achieve it.

I really liked Baskin. A little too thin to be a fully functioning feature film, but the visual atmospheric horror worked for me. First half was far superior though.