Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This is England (2006)

-

I thought this British movie was more a coming of age story than the crime drama I was expecting. It's gritty and realistic with strong performances.

Kubo and the Two Strings:
Oh, this might be a controversial opinion. It's a well made movie. The animation and voice acting are both great. But it completely failed to resonate with me. Kobo is a boring character, with very little motivation, and the villain he fights has a motivation that constantly changes. The ending was awful-the resolution of the villain cheats the message of the movie. The twists were too predictable, which is something I can unfortunately say of LAIKAs best movies, and this is not one of their best. It's not bad, but how does it have a 96% on Rotten Tomatos?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It's not bad, but how does it have a 96% on Rotten Tomatos?
Because Iroquois likes it.

Welcome to the human race...
Oh, this might be a controversial opinion. It's a well made movie. The animation and voice acting are both great. But it completely failed to resonate with me. Kobo is a boring character, with very little motivation, and the villain he fights has a motivation that constantly changes. The ending was awful-the resolution of the villain cheats the message of the movie. The twists were too predictable, which is something I can unfortunately say of LAIKAs best movies, and this is not one of their best. It's not bad, but how does it have a 96% on Rotten Tomatos?
Rotten Tomatoes operates on a good/bad binary where a film only has to clear a certain bar in order to be considered good/"fresh" or bad/"rotten", so all it takes for a critic's score to be considered "fresh" is to be at least 3 out of 5. Predictable twists doesn't seem to be a problem here given its fable-like status and how the film actually acknowledges that at times (such as one evil character snidely remarking on how the good characters didn't work out one such predictable reveal), but I'd be interested in hearing more about how the motivation and resolution surrounding the villain cheat the movie's message.

Because Iroquois likes it.
Ho ho.

Anyway...

Young Frankenstein -

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Suicide Squad
-

I know I'll catch grief but I thought it was original and entertaining. I enjoyed the characters and I think the storyline took a unique angle. Especially enjoyed Deadshot and Harley Quinn, thought both their characters were really well done. The film looked great and had a good soundtrack too.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
+

Seems like the older zombies were a bit smarter, showed a bit more emotion and were a bit more capable than what I'm used to in most modern zombie representations. Black and white makes it harder to distinguish between human and zombie, keeping the viewer guessing till the last second. Loved the ending. Glad I finally watched it and was able to appreciate it.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)

Horror Hostess Elvira crashes the Morality Club Annual Picnic to claim her great aunt's inheritance, where the town council lives in mortal fear that somewhere, somehow, somebody is having a good time. Plenty of ancient alchemy, conjuring, witchcraft, definite Sexy Celebrity entertainment, and a fine film.

Rating:
8.0 / 10

I have to return some videotapes...
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) -

Brilliant.

Boldly going.
Sausage Party 6/10.
If you're offended by racial stereotypes you probably should stay away from this one. Lots of sexual innuendo and metaphysical questions. Probably best not to read too deeply into it. Fans of Seth Rogan and "Borat" will like this one.

Don't Breathe 7/10
Good suspense. Some of it was not believable, particularly near the climax.

The Fountain -

Criminally underrated sci/fi flick that only gets better with time.

Jason Bourne -

Damon should have left the series on a high note. This is more in line with Legacy than the others, which are mediocre at best.

Triple 9 (2016)

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The french connection (1971)

Good performance from both Hackman and Schider, but Fernando Rey takes the cake as Frog one for me completly because of a seven minute foot chase between Rey and Hackman, ending in a game of 'in or out' on a subway platform and Rey waving to Hackman as he leaves. Otherwise the movie draged a bit, too much survailence, too much time spent in a car watching someone eat. Basically a good movie, but it didn't grip me.