Star Wars: Rogue One (the first Star Wars Spin-off)

→ in
Tools    

Didn't like Star Wars - The Force Awakens. So many lost opportunities to make a great film, seems J.J. Abrams didn't get the significance of THE FORCE. It took Luke Skywalker a long time to master the force. Rey (Skywalker, of course) did it in bubblegum time, she tried and it didn't work, she tried again and it did work - just stupid. Not to talk about the the fight between her and Kylo Ren - Rey closes her eyes and suddenly taps into the force - and what happens, she gets a bit better using her lightsaber. Just a huge lost opportunity to make a outstanding film, ended up barely mediocre.

Star Wars Rouge One - I might have unrealistic hopes, but I actually believe it's the film we all wanted The force Awakens to be. Better director with Gareth Edwards - but mainly because I think he will have less to live up to and is free to make the film it's supposed to be. High expectations!!!

More news in... Rogue One probably won't have the opening crawl.

Seriously? No opening crawl? George Lucas and the Star Wars text was the reason movies today have individuality to them. When he made Star Wars, he did the opening text, and was fined by the director's guild for not having credits at the start. He was then ordered to put credits at the start of Empire... but he didn't, and was fined again.
He then turned his back on all the establishments and started his own studios and guilds, which paved the way for filmmakers to have freedom and make the movies they wanted to make, in the way they wanted to make them.

Say what you want about Lucas, the fact is the guy was a pioneer. The Star Wars opening crawl is more important than people realise. A Star Wars movie without the opening text, would be almost sacrilegious.

In the Beginning...
Seriously? No opening crawl? .... A Star Wars movie without the opening text, would be almost sacrilegious.
Doesn't bother me. The Star Wars films as we know them—Episodes One through Seven—feel like a continuing saga. It would be unusual if Episode Eight or Nine didn't include the opening crawl because they're ultimately a part of that saga. But Rogue One is a completely new, singular tale, and that gives Disney the opportunity to decide where the convention lies: with all Star Wars films to come or just the core saga. As long as Disney remains consistent, I don't see an issue either way.

But technically, Rogue One is directly connected to the saga. It's about capturing of the Death Star plans. Also, Vader is in it.

It's like saying "Well Luke wasn't in all of ep VII, Solo isn't in ep VIII and more than likely ep IX will be mainly new characters... might as well bin the opening crawl for the sequel trilogy."

In the Beginning...
But technically, Rogue One is directly connected to the saga. It's about capturing of the Death Star plans. Also, Vader is in it.
It's connected, but it's not Episode 3.5. It's a side story.

It's like saying "Well Luke wasn't in all of ep VII, Solo isn't in ep VIII and more than likely ep IX will be mainly new characters... might as well bin the opening crawl for the sequel trilogy."
It's not really about which characters are or are not in the film. It's about what the film is about. The Star Wars saga is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker and his son. Rogue One is about the Rebel Alliance stealing the Empire's plans for the first Death Star. It's a much more focused narrative. Yes, Vader is in the film, but it's not his story. That's why I think it can be considered a bit of a sidestep from the core films.

Boldly going.
I was so disappointed in The Force Awakens that I was not planning on seeing this one. But according to imdb, the director and writers involved in TFA are not involved here, and James Earl Jones voices Darth Vader. So I might just check it out in December.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I keep telling myself I'm going to quit falling in love with movies. Then that John Williams hits and I transform into a Hulk pajama wearing kid sporting a "red" Kool-Aid mustache. *sigh*

Scrolls up to watch trailer again. Me and my homie got admonished last night for clapping after the R1 trailer.

I have been telling people this would be the movie we really been waiting for. Should have just done a Series of films around the Rebellion and Vader , Boba Fett, Kenobi and Young Leia , Lando and Han could all co star in the movies. At some point in the 3 trilogy arc

BTW
The Guy composing last i knew was not John Williams but he sure got the Star Wars music down perfectly.

Well hell that looks like what Force Awakens should have been, I HOPE they didnt screw it up with the re-edit.

I think the women in this would have made a great Jedi hero in Ridley place and Donnie Yen could have been one of Luke s surviving students.

I love star wars. I can't wait for this movie to come out in December.

I think its going to be a good fresh start to this new Star Wars cinematic universe

Knowing more that I do Donnie Yen I am thinking that Donnie Yen may have been part of the church of the force and maybe The Old Man killed was the guy with the droid or maybe even Kanan fron Rebels. I am saying Yen maybe founded that order and who knows maybe Donnie Yen if survives is one killed by Ren when he is old while Luke is gone. This is all just y guess because its possible all in this movie die by vaders hand.

I think its going to be a good fresh start to this new Star Wars cinematic universe

?
You are aware it's set before Episode 4.

I don't need this to be as good as the originals or Force Awakens, it just has to be good at the very least.
Amen Brother.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I think we always knew Mads made the Deathstar.