Movie of the Month - July 2016: True Stories (1986)

Tools    

Okay, finally getting around to finishing the editing on this. Sorry for the delay! Hoping to get this out the door late this afternoon, tomorrow morning at the latest.

So I'm editing this now, and I'm hearing a part where we talk about John Goodman's character, and I say "...and that makes him a good guy."

HOW did I not say "And that makes John Goodman's character a good man"? How? I was so close.

Woooh, here it is.

The best way to get it is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

As always, thanks to Slappy and bluedeed for their time and thoughts.

Live life the way you want it
Nice! Didn't expect to find a podcast here. Will check it out for sure, and give some feedback later on.

they call me mr wayno
Can I ask what your recording setup is like? I'm listening to it now, and the mics are very clear.

We're all on Skype, and I think both Slappy and I use headset mics. I think bluedeed doesn't, and sounds a bit less clear as a result, though they can each confirm.

I've tried a handful of different setups over the years and the two biggest differences in terms of audio quality have been:

1) Having everyone on Skype, as opposed to some on phones.
2) Having headset mics close to the mouth.

I sprung for a much nicer, fancier mic awhile back, but it's not really any better than a much cheaper mic that sits right in front of the mouth. The noise isolation/cancellation you get from those easily makes up for whatever the nicer mics have in sheer technical capability, at least when you're just talking and not recording music or something.

I also do a little tweaking to the audio at the end to try to isolate and remove background fuzziness and often painstakingly trawl through the entire recording muting out each end of the line if the other is doing the talking. I don't recommend that, for the most part. It adds a lot to the turnaround and I kinda dread it, so I've been trying to force myself to just live with the automatic noise removal, which is still pretty good.

David Byrne's Masterpiece "It's a completely cool, multi-purpose movie."

Legend in my own mind
Does 'Movie of the month' not happen any more? or was it a one time thing?

I kind of like the idea and would be interested in getting involved.

Brendan hasn't been around a bit, and we had a nice little flow going there that's hard to replace/replicate, I think. When we didn't find a replacement (we asked around, but a lot of you guys are too shy!) in time for the Holidays, we put off the search until after the Oscars. So, in a few more weeks, I'll give it another go.

Legend in my own mind
Brendan hasn't been around a bit, and we had a nice little flow going there that's hard to replace/replicate, I think. When we didn't find a replacement (we asked around, but a lot of you guys are too shy!) in time for the Holidays, we put off the search until after the Oscars. So, in a few more weeks, I'll give it another go.
Great. I have rarely been described as "too shy" so if I can help and have the capability to do so then please let me know

I'll definitely put on the list of possible guests, then.
I say the movie for this month should be the original Town That Dreaded Sundown!

Lol Love this movie, didn't have much as far as movies when I was little so we watched this repeatedly. Talking heads are great too.

I find the movie on the internet and I plan on watching it soon as I get a chance. It looks darn interesting and I never heard of it.
I am new. Like your avatar and username.

I have never seen this movie. Is it a romantic comedy? If so not my cup of chowder