Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Just finished watching Frank and Cindy. It was pretty good, Oliver Pratt and Rene Russo nailed it.
I gave it a 6 out of 10, which is above average on my scale.

Welcome to the human race...
The Ladykillers ('04) -

Still more enjoyable than Intolerable Cruelty and it halfway-justifies its existence, but that's about it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Tree of Life (T. Malick, 2011)

When I think of which films from the 21st century will become classics in the future, I can't think of many. I definitely don't want to be in a world where Deadpool, Avengers or any super hero movie represents the best of a generation, it's just too ridiculous.
But this is a whole new level of filmmaking: I'd say The Tree of Life is our generation's 2001: A Space Odissey or Stalker, in terms of intellectual and spiritual depth.
The story is like a trip to Jack's memory, and how his father and mother made him the man he used to be. Behind all this there's a search for the meaning of life and a constant relation with deity (which I found hard to relate to, being atheist, but that I respect enormously).
I'd divide this into 4 chapters: the introduction, where we know of Jack's brother death and how that triggers the spiritual travel Jack will do; the Universe sequence, in a sense similar to the dream sequence of 2001 but with a completley different purpose. It's perhaps the most beautiful chapter of the film with stunning visuals and a beautiful soundtrack, and it was perhaps the part that turn more people off, because it doesn't seem very conected to the rest of the film. I think it's there to give us a particular state of mind to what is going to happen next and that's reason enough for me to love it; the core of the story, where we witness Jack's childhood and how Nature (represented by his Father) and Grace (his mother) made him into the person he is; and the Conclusion which I still didn't figure out completely... We are shown an adult Jack in a beach with all his relatives from the time he was a child and some images of his mother running through some trees and some metaphoric images like a bridge. I realize that it represents a new spiritual stage for Jack, as if he was going in the wrong path, following the steps of his Father, and all his memories make him realize he should follow Grace and the memory of his mother. That's the obvious interpration, IMO, but I think there has to be more to it.
The cinematography (Lubezki ) and the soundtrack are simply mindblowing, the acting is great by everyone involved but it's the vision that matters here, the same way Kubrick's vision is the core of 2001.
The Tree of Life will require some more viewings because I feel I haven't extracted everything I could from it, but that's the beauty of an art work, isn't it?

Nobby, a sweet but dimwitted English football hooligan, reunites with his long-lost brother Sebastian, a deadly MI6 agent, to prevent a massive global terror attack and prove that behind every great spy is an embarrassing sibling

3/5

I would love to see The Tree of Life in cinema. I got to see 2001 there a couple of years ago and it elevated it to a whole new level, the fantastic images, the sounds, basically goosebumps throughout, I'd imagine it would be similar.

The Lobster (2015)

Unregistered User
Caged (1950) -
+
The Watchman (2016) -

It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) -
+
Thor (2011) -

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) -
+
Creed (2015) -

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(REWATCH) This Must Be The Place
++ It continues to amaze me when I see Sean Penn delve into a character such as this with such brilliant ease. I am becoming quite endeared to this lil "finding one's self/crossroads" flick

Angry Birds
+++ Did NOT think I'd like this, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I'm sure the rating will go up on further watches.

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) Get Carter (remake)
++ I know, I KNOW, this is a FAR cry from the original. Stallone is NOT Caine. I Know.
But I do enjoy watching it all the same.

Films and films
Lilya 4-ever By Lukas Moodysson

A really sad story well portrayed on screen . great performance by Oksana.. REALLY NICE MOVIE

7/10

The Tree of Life (T. Malick, 2011)

When I think of which films from the 21st century will become classics in the future, I can't think of many. I definitely don't want to be in a world where Deadpool, Avengers or any super hero movie represents the best of a generation, it's just too ridiculous.
But this is a whole new level of filmmaking: I'd say The Tree of Life is our generation's 2001: A Space Odissey or Stalker, in terms of intellectual and spiritual depth.
The story is like a trip to Jack's memory, and how his father and mother made him the man he used to be. Behind all this there's a search for the meaning of life and a constant relation with deity (which I found hard to relate to, being atheist, but that I respect enormously).
I'd divide this into 4 chapters: the introduction, where we know of Jack's brother death and how that triggers the spiritual travel Jack will do; the Universe sequence, in a sense similar to the dream sequence of 2001 but with a completley different purpose. It's perhaps the most beautiful chapter of the film with stunning visuals and a beautiful soundtrack, and it was perhaps the part that turn more people off, because it doesn't seem very conected to the rest of the film. I think it's there to give us a particular state of mind to what is going to happen next and that's reason enough for me to love it; the core of the story, where we witness Jack's childhood and how Nature (represented by his Father) and Grace (his mother) made him into the person he is; and the Conclusion which I still didn't figure out completely... We are shown an adult Jack in a beach with all his relatives from the time he was a child and some images of his mother running through some trees and some metaphoric images like a bridge. I realize that it represents a new spiritual stage for Jack, as if he was going in the wrong path, following the steps of his Father, and all his memories make him realize he should follow Grace and the memory of his mother. That's the obvious interpration, IMO, but I think there has to be more to it.
The cinematography (Lubezki ) and the soundtrack are simply mindblowing, the acting is great by everyone involved but it's the vision that matters here, the same way Kubrick's vision is the core of 2001.
The Tree of Life will require some more viewings because I feel I haven't extracted everything I could from it, but that's the beauty of an art work, isn't it?

Spot on, especially if this was your first viewing.

Tree of Life is fantastic. Amazing. Unreal.

A lot of people hate it because of the nonlinear storytelling, but sometimes people forget there is more to film than the usual plot-driven story. There is the emotional and thematically driven story, which is what this film uses. In many ways, Malick dared to ask the grand question everybody does, but actually try to explain it on film: what is the meaning of life? This film is basically just 'life' in every sense of the word. It's the beginning of life itself, it is how we evolved it is how we are connected, it is what we believe and what we do. It is everything.

Man, I can't wait to watch this film on my new OLED I just bought today (that 20-minute life creation sequence must be eyegasm)... shout out Gatsby for "convincing" me back in the day with this film as the selling point.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Spot on, especially if this was your first viewing.

Tree of Life is fantastic. Amazing. Unreal.

A lot of people hate it because of the nonlinear storytelling, but sometimes people forget there is more to film than the usual plot-driven story. There is the emotional and thematically driven story, which is what this film uses. In many ways, Malick dared to ask the grand question everybody does, but actually try to explain it on film: what is the meaning of life? This film is basically just 'life' in every sense of the word. It's the beginning of life itself, it is how we evolved it is how we are connected, it is what we believe and what we do. It is everything.

Man, I can't wait to watch this film on my new OLED I just bought today (that 20-minute life creation sequence must be eyegasm)... shout out Gatsby for "convincing" me back in the day with this film as the selling point.
It was.

What did you think of the ending, MM? It's not exactly consensual. What do you think it means?

It was.

What did you think of the ending, MM? It's not exactly consensual. What do you think it means?
It's been a while and I would like to have it fresh in my mind to answer properly. We can discuss it soon if you want, as I'll probably rewatch it again in the next few days...

Finished here. It's been fun.
Death in Venice

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Sausage Party

Gone with the Wind (1939)

+

There's a lot to love about this movie, but when you make the viewer commit to 4 hours, you're setting the bar pretty high. Incredible color and clarity for it's time, although the cinematography isn't always brilliant. Sometimes it has the movie set look, which I don't like. The story is epic with plenty of drama, but for the runtime there should be, and maybe there could have been a little more. Many excellent performances and characters. It must have been controversial in it's time for multiple reasons.