Monsters in the Movies and their Creators - Favourite

Tools    

1985 was also a vintage year with Day of the Dead, Frightnight, Re-Animator, Brazil, Enemy Mine
Enemy Mine was good.

The best CGI though is from that period of the late 80s when they laced it into the practical effects... The Abyss, Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, Independence Day... but since they went all CG with stuff like Emmerich's 2012, The Thing remake prequel remake in 2010, Star Wars Episode 2... sfx movies have gone soooo bad.
I don't remember the Thing prequel's CGI being that bad but I know what you mean.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
1986: Aliens, The fly, Labyrinth, Little shop of horrors

Terry Gilliam was offered Enemy Mine before making Brazil, just wonder how that would have turned out, it would be awesome, though Petersen did a solid job, and overlooked filmmaker he is

Terry Gilliam was offered Enemy Mine before making Brazil, just wonder how that would have turned out, it would be awesome, though Petersen did a solid job, and overlooked filmmaker he is
I don't think that was his bag, quite honestly.

I agree, I think after the success of 'Time Bandits' he was deemed an 'A-list' director and was given numerous scripts which were in the sci-fi/fantasy realm, but he stuck to his guns and produced one of the greatest works of science fiction put to celluloid, that being 'Brazil'.
I don't think that was his bag, quite honestly.

I agree, I think after the success of 'Time Bandits' he was deemed an 'A-list' director and was given numerous scripts which were in the sci-fi/fantasy realm, but he stuck to his guns and produced one of the greatest works of science fiction put to celluloid, that being 'Brazil'.
Brazil was good. I like Time Bandits more. Jabberwocky was quite a laugh as well – haven't seen it in years. I like The Fisher King as well, particularly the love story aspect.

So many great films that man could have given us if the studio system would wind their necks in, give him creative freedom and allow him to create masterpiece after masterpiece instead of pumping money into films that are simply forgetfull
Brazil was good. I like Time Bandits more. Jabberwocky was quite a laugh as well – haven't seen it in years. I like The Fisher King as well, particularly the love story aspect.

the creation of the loung lizards in 'Fear and Loathing' is also a great testament to Rob Bottin, they're like something out of a nightmare, be it a drug induced nightmare,

It was a shame the transformation sequence he did in the 'Howling' has always been overshadowed by Rick Bakers in 'An American Werewolf..;, both are equally fantastic.

As a tribute to the late great Gene Wilder, i would like to say how comical and spot on the make up effects of Peter Boyle as the monster in 'Young Frankenstein', stayin faithful to the Karloff icon but with a funny slant to it as well as an unrecognizalbe Gene Hackman as the blindman, would also say kudo's to Marty Feldman's Igor for those crazy eye's, but they werent make up effects! brilliant actors all in prime of their careers.

I don't remember the Thing prequel's CGI being that bad but I know what you mean.
I saw a bit of Death Proof yesterday and I recognized Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Kurt Russell's character is toying with the feet of the girl next to her. I thought: ah, the two Thing main characters in the same film .