Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The guy (the son I'm guessing) kinda annoyed me,
Same actually. He's only in the first 15 or 20 minutes or something though the main characters are Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek. Hope you enjoy it if you try it again.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Same actually. He's only in the first 15 or 20 minutes or something though the main characters are Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek. Hope you enjoy it if you try it again.
Oh good! Is it a chase movie? I don't need much action, just a great script

Not a chase movie no, no action basically. Great script and performances IMO though. It's about Lemmon coming to the unnamed Latin American Country to look for his son (the guy you found annoying) after he goes missing after a coup with the help of his son's wife (Spacek). It's based on a true story of an American journalist who went missing in Chile during the coup that brought Pinochet to power. It is political but it is just as much a character study and an examination of Lemmon and Spacek's relationship.

Hmm, what does my age have to do with it?

Some favourites off the top of my head.

Mulholland Dr
Chinatown
Ran
Spirited Away
Singin' In The Rain
The Pianist
Rear Window
Lawrence of Arabia
Well, I just want to know if you're an immature annoying little 12 year old or something that's all.

But yeah.... hmm... I guess by those movies you are not downright awful then. We'll see.

It's more the NCFOM rating that bothers me, as you can see by my avatar.

Anyways, here's something we can pretty much agree with. I love Goodfellas too, same rating too I think, and Hugo is not that good of a film. I'm not as harsh with my rating but I'm not gonna argue a 2/5 rating for it.

How old are you anyways? And do you mind listing a couple of all time favorites?

Hmm, what does my age have to do with it?

Some favourites off the top of my head.

Mulholland Dr
Chinatown
Ran
Spirited Away
Singin' In The Rain
The Pianist
Rear Window
Lawrence of Arabia
I'm 17 (18 in October) so don't feel worried or something if we know your age. We're nice here.

Well, I just want to know if you're an immature annoying little 12 year old or something that's all.

But yeah.... hmm... I guess by those movies you are not downright awful then. We'll see.

Just an annoying 34 year old.

Unregistered User

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

An insane hunter arranges for a ship to be wrecked on an island where he can indulge in some sort of hunting and killing of the passengers.

^^^ that's the description from IMDB, I don't think any more needs to be said.

Highly recommended -
++

Stranger Things (2016)

Ridiculously good.

Carrie (1976). I was pretty disappointed by this movie. As a drama, it works. As a horror, it certainly does not. It takes a while for this movie to actually get interesting but once the 2nd act comes around, it was actually really good. I relate to Carrie a lot and therefore cared about her so that whole 2nd act was really entertaining and well done. But the 3rd act was a real let down, 3 minutes of chaos that was pretty mild. I will admit, the 3rd act had some really creepy imagery and it ended on a haunting note. But overall, this movie was pretty bland, unimpressive, safe, unengaging and of it's time. I also hated the score in this film. Not only are some parts a CLEAR copy of Psycho, but the music is so oddly placed and so out of tone it was really bad. But, I did enjoy the 2nd act, the performances blew me away and there is some genuinely creepy imagery as well as a relatable, enjoyable and watchable story. That makes a pretty good drama but a horrible horror film (which is it's genre wherever you look) especially since I did not even get the chills or even a sense of dread or horror until the last 10 minutes. 6/10

The Exorcist (1973) Pretty much the same argument as ^ except it had mediocre performances, no interesting characters, no attempt to hold onto tension, so-bad-it's-funny moments throughout, poor pacing and no horror. At all. 4/10

This week has been disappointing for me with horror films.

Doubt it. Gave Rushmore 3 chances, gets worse every time.

Anyways.

A Scorsese double bill.

Goodfellas -

Scorsese's crowning achievement. The definitive gangster flick, sorry Godfather.

Hugo -

An odd way to homage the classic age of cinema by using a medium that is killing film.
Well you are half right. I love Goodfellas, and I do like it more then The Godfather. But I rather liked Hugo.

Oh well, to each there own.

What We Do in the Shadows 9/10. It was clever and laugh out loud funny at the same time. My sense of stupid humour, which obviously sat well with me.

Even managed to find fresh concepts in a severely overdone genre.

Piper (Alan Barillaro, 2016)

Forgot to post about this before, but its the short film that preceded Finding Dory at the cinema. Some nice visual work in terms of graphic design, but nothing interesting for me, I wanted it to end so I could get to the feature film.

Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990)

I say this about the majority of films, it seems, but I had really been meaning to watch this for ages. Unfortunately it took the death of Kiarostami to finally get me to watch one of his works, but now I am so glad I did. What a piece of genius. Reminds us of the power of cinema and why it is such a unique medium where you can craft pieces of arts not possible in any other form, how to capture reality? What is real? What does it matter? What really affected me is what the director saw in the films central character who was extremely sympathetic and relatable, someone who sees himself as being oppressed by society and the way of the world, who seeks solace in cinema.

Some Came Running (Vincente Minnelli, 1958)

Another one I had been meaning to see for a while, especially because I know Cobpyth and a few others are such big fans, it seems Minnelli is a greatly interesting director with a nice body of work to explore. This isn't a musical, but it has that great feeling of composure that I saw/felt in An American in Paris in that every shot seems perfectly composed, the camera moves along smoothly, there's very few cuts, each object is meticulously placed, as are lights and colours. The direction, together with a powerful emotional story that's brought to life through top performances, makes the film extremely a very real and at times devastating one. It's a real shame that they don't make dramas like this any more.

I had really been meaning to watch this for ages.
Same. I've had Close Up ready to watch for months, will have to get it watched soon. Looks really interesting.

Also did you post about Finding Dory somewhere? I watched it last week, thought it was ok but one of the weaker Pixars.

Same. I've had Close Up ready to watch for months, will have to get it watched soon. Looks really interesting.

Also did you post about Finding Dory somewhere? I watched it last week, thought it was ok but one of the weaker Pixars.
Yeah, all the descriptions of Close-Up sound really confusing, but now that I've watched it I can understand why. Definitely has to be seen.

Just a quick post here on Finding Dory:

Finding Dory (Andrew Stanton & Angus MacLane, 2016)
Yeah, it was pretty decent. I actually found the first half a bit boring, and it wasn't very laugh out loud funny, but I thought it picked up a bit of momentum towards the end and ended up being an enjoyable enough film.

I already repped that . Guess since you didn't write anything it slipped my mind. I actually rated it -

http://www.movieforums.com/community...91#post1557291

Didn't really dislike it though. The only Pixar i have actually disliked is Brave.
For me, probably:

Four stars or above

01.WALL-E
02.Monsters Inc
03.Toy Story 2
04.Up

Three and a half

05.The Incredibles
06.Inside Out
07.Toy Story 3
08.Ratatouille (Need to rewatch)
09.Finding Nemo

Three stars

10.Toy Story
11.Finding Dory
12.Monsters University
13.Brave

Two and a half stars or lower

14.A Bugs Life
15.Cars 2
16.Cars

Pretty similar to you

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I wanna see this SO bad and you are NOT helping.

But really though, I hate how this movie is not set up with the original language in our theaters here. Either I miss out on it on the big screen or either I'll have to wait until BD release and watch it at home on a smaller screen but with original audio.
No matter how you see it or what audio you have, it is still a truly fantastic film.

Still got to see Cars 2. Other than that looks like we largely agree. We have Nemo and Ratatouille in practically the same places, wouldn't have expected that.