Natural Born Killers

→ in
Tools    

One of my favorite films ever and one that 22 years later is still controversial and draws a split reaction among many. I find it's a brilliant satire on the media's irresponsible habit of glorifying murderers and their crimes and how they've made our culture one obsessed with violence and fame. The message of anyone can be a celebrity and how there's no line between fame and infamy is one that while relevant then is moreso than ever now. The performances by all are excellent, with the standouts including Woody Harrelson as the deadly yet charismatic Mickey Knox, a pre-Iron Man Robert Downey, Jr. as sleazy and fame-seeking tabloid journalist Wayne Gale and a scene-chewing Tommy Lee Jones as the profane and hot-tempered prison warden. The film is also noted for it's unique filming style with how it switches between formats and switches between colors, which helps to give it a manic, desensitized feeling reflective of the media's presentation of violence.

It's not a film for everybody for sure but it stands as a major favorite of mine.

There's a lot of love out there for this movie, but I don't get it...I've watched it twice and I like Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Jr., but I just don't get what Oliver Stone was trying to do here.

It's a satire and ultimately a condemnation of the media's irresponsible habit of glamorizing murderers and violence.

Welcome to the human race...
It's not exactly subtle about it, either.

Anyway, this is my review. Spoiler alert: I did not care for it.

Definitely not subtle with it's approach and aesthetic. I can see why it isn't for everybody.

I actually rather enjoyed your review even if my opinion is the polar opposite. While I love the film, I can see why it's approach and style isn't for everyone.

This film was ahead of its time and is even more relevant today than it was back in 1994!

Here's two early drafts of the script I found, definitely interesting to read and compare with the finished film:

Early Draft

Revised Draft

The first is very different from the movie, while the second is closer to the movie but still pretty different in some ways.

I like the way the film is shot and edited personally, though I can see why some may not like it. I think it adds to the frenzied, desensitized nature of the story.

Thinking back to this movie, does anyone else find the scene with the hostage in the motel room to be really disturbing? I'm not an easily disturbed person but something about that scene always gives me an uneasy feeling every time it comes up. Just the perverseness of it, I suppose.

Terrible film. The violence alone made me vomit.

Jon

Thinking back to this movie, does anyone else find the scene with the hostage in the motel room to be really disturbing? I'm not an easily disturbed person but something about that scene always gives me an uneasy feeling every time it comes up. Just the perverseness of it, I suppose.
That is the most (only) unnerving scene in the film for me. I've not seen this for ages, but it's on my 100.

not a big fan of this film, but it is watchable, certainly not oliver stone's best for sure..

That is the most (only) unnerving scene in the film for me. I've not seen this for ages, but it's on my 100.

It sticks out among the rest of the film for me which while very violent and gory, the violence is done in an over the top and almost comical manner, whereas this scene is much more realistic and horrific.