Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Yeah, dream on loko El Salvador.
EVERYTIME THAT I LOOK IN THE MIRROR ALL THESE PADRE SONGS IN MY EARS GETTING WORSE

Genre: Drama
Language: Hebrew/Israel

A woman wakes up from a nap by a neighbour knocking on the door,when she opens shes presented with her dog and yelled at for letting it go outside alone.Confused she tells him that her husband had gone for a walk with the dog,but the neighbour says that he was nowhere to be seen.

I was pleasantly surprised by this-its not an eventfull movie,it almost looks like its shot in one go.But it does fairly well with what its got,the acting is great and plot for the first half is aswell-unfortunatly the ending is rather lackluster and it ends up feeling like there wasnt any point to the movie.

Midnight Special (2016)

Unregistered User

Martin (1977)

Raw and gritty psychological horror from George Romero. Some really great performances and its easy to see why its a cult favourite. Much more than a 'vampire' film, it almost plays out like a character study which I loved.

The Art of Decoy - a project for a science fiction film by Jonas Orbum

Drive (2011) (Dir. Nicolas Winding Refn)

I've confirmed my **** elitism by having to get over the fandom surrounding this movie before I could appreciate it. I've seen half a dozen of Wefn's pictures and have probably watched this three times now. Even though I recorded the TV edit and had to fast forward through commercials, I took away more from it than I ever remember before.

Beyond its dude bro qualities, Drive is really about standing still. The space between the exchanges is where you find the meaning. Nobody over-emotes, they instead let the moment breath enough for you to make sense of the dynamic without having it explained to you. You could watch this with the sound off and get the gist of it.

Instead of pouring my thoughts out, here's a page out of American Cinematographer where Refn tries to explain his thought process behind the movie and ends up outing himself as a mad man.

http://boxd.it/aSBId

Duelle (1976) (Dir. Jacques Rivette)

Rivette's Duelle (the femimine form of "duel") marries fantastic elements with a very naturalist preference which is refreshing in an age when this type of story requires a special effects budget of millions. Unfortunately, for a picture about gods and tantamount apocalypse, there is very little to chew on here. After recently praising Refn's Drive (2011) for the import its silences carry, this picture has reassured me to never overlook silence again. While a pause can be a powerful tool in the right hands, it can also be a red flag for empty gesture.

Initially, I appreciated just how subdued a conflict of this magnitude could be portrayed. My experience with French film had led me to believe every story had to have serious themes and philosophic principles. From the Greek mythology I've read, it's all very simply put with much broader implications. That's the angle I believed this film to be taking and were it half an hour shorter, it might have gotten by in that way. Unfortunately, for all of Rivette's stunning visuals, excellent casting, and interesting choices in execution, this script is an absolute dud.

For starters, the one character in this film with any definition is tossed aside like an extra. The characters that survive her have motivations that aren't given any weight. Gods that wants to be human? An assassin under their spell turned against his own sister? Murder? Seduction? Immortality? There are a million ways to make these complex and thematic issues. There are countless monologues to be written. Instead, the most interesting conversation is about why a dancer uses a pseudonym and how much she hates her job.

The most climactic sequences of the film are frustratingly barren of dialogue when you expect some resolution in thought as much as in action. The scattered attempts at saying anything of note should confirm that this was a choice made out of necessity. Pretentious gets thrown around a lot, but the dream is the night's aquarium fits the bill if any phrase ever has.

For anyone who sees a lack of narrative as a lack of substance, let this be a counter example. I kind of wish I would have watched it with the subtitles off. For all of the tracking shots and long takes, all of the cinematic locations, all of the fashion direction, the beauty here is only skin deep. Is this how people who don't enjoy Malick feel?

http://boxd.it/aSVUD

Brooklyn (2015)

An incredible performance by Saoirse Ronan makes this film. There is nice support from all involved but Ronan is totally deserving of being nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for this movie. She may not have won, but she's only 22-years-old and has already been nominated twice for an Academy Award. Her day will come, I'm sure.

Ronan plays Eilis, a young lady from a small Irish town who is sponsored by a priest friend who lives in Brooklyn, New York to come there. She finds work and a boarding house to stay in, but is wracked with homesickness at first. She slowly finds her way with a job, night college, and love with a young Italian man all of which makes her feel like Brooklyn is home. There are scores of Irish immigrants in Brooklyn that also make her feel a touch of the old country. But a tragedy in Ireland forces her to sail back home and once there, she is tempted by many factors to stay. Will she or won't she? Check it and see. I love Ronan and try to see all her movies but am way behind. I'm truly glad I saw this one, her most adult acting job to date.

Coraline (2009)

Totally winning animated movie about a neglected young girl who wanders around the apartment-house she and her parents have moved into, and finds interesting characters in and out of the house. But most importantly, she finds a small doorway in the house that has something like a wormhole or tunnel that leads her to a better version of her life that she instantly takes to. But all is not as it seems and there are dark forces waiting to snare her. Dakota Fanning gives a great voice-over as Coraline and Teri Hatcher and John Hodgman are fine voicing her parents on both sides of the house's universe. The Absolutely Fabulous duo of Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French are funny as the oddball landladies she encounters. The animation is fine and the mood is dark but cool. This plays very much like a Tim Burton animated movie...in fact it was directed by Henry Selick who directed Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) He's got another winner here. Loved it!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mother's Day

(Garry Marshall)

I've been on vacation the last week, in Prince Edward Island. A small island off the east coast of Canada. So small that they have one theatre that was about an hour and a half away from where I was staying. When the idea came up to see a movie, I was thinking maybe Suicide Squad. Instead, we found out the hotel attached to our cabins has a small theatre, sits about 40 and plays one movie every Friday. Let's check it out my mother-in-law said. We all agreed and went to pay $8 to see a movie, which is almost $4 cheaper than a regular movie back home. We get there and see that the film is Mother's Day. The mother-in-law looked happy to see this, I can only imagine what my face looked like opposite hers.

Despite my zero interest in this film, I did give it a chance, as I do 98% of the films I watch. Much like the other flicks in this "series", Mother's Day boasts a big cast, small stories and lazy direction. The segments of the film include a widowed father trying to cope with the loss of his two daughter's mother, a woman estranged from her mother and father because they don't approve of the man she loves, a woman who's afraid of marriage because her mother gave her up for adoption and Jennifer Aniston having to cope with her ex-husband who marries a twenty-something bombshell whom her two kids love to hang out with. Oh, I almost forgot, Julia Roberts stars in it as well with a bad wig. Most of these stories intersect with one another.

Had the film focused on the Jennifer Aniston story line with Jason Sudeikis' widowed subplot, it could have been an interesting film. Instead it cuts itself short by not spending enough time to flesh out any character from any story or their problems. Kate Hudson has racist parents who throw out terms like towel-head like it's nothing. These people seem like the kind of people that would vote Trump, PRO-AMERICA, "Get out of my country" type. But their final acceptance of their son in law and their own daughter is so incredibly weak and vomit inducing that I question why this part was even included. They have find out they have a grandchild and immediately forget their racist history?

The film tries for laughs, misses a lot of them. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. Hoping not to insult anyone and be all-around friendly....it insults everyone.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Beverly Hills Cop III -

Man, John Landis has a real problem with his hit-to-miss ratio.

Locke (Steven Knight, 2013)

Very nice little film with an excellent lead performance that interestingly captures interesting themes of masculinity, love, life.