T-850's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Yeah...I'll be checking it out now. Good work, man.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by T-850
Yojimbo ****/*****

I watched this film this afternoon. You're right, T-850, this film does make you want to see more Kurosawa films (and Tifune films, as well). I've seen five now (Seven Samurai, Ran, Dreams, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo).

I'm going to save any further comments about this film for my next "Quick Reviews #9," so it might be June before it's ready.

One question, T-850: you didn't mention any comparison to A Fistful of Dollars. Have you seen it? and if so, what did you think of how Leone adapted this story to a western? (by the way, the uncredited-Kurosawa sued Leone and won!).
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Originally Posted by kaisersoze
Hey great review this series made me a Li fan as well, did you see the 2nd, 3rd or 4th one?

the last two aren't so great but the second was equally as awesome.
I have seen the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I think the first three are equally awesome and very entertaining. Jet Li shines as Wong Fei Hong. As for the fourth, Once Upon A Time in China and America, is nothing but a waste of time. Yes, Jet Li is back but director Tsui Hark isn't. BTW, the Once Upon A Time in China series contains about 7 films. Li doesn't star in three of them.

Originally Posted by Mark
I watched this film this afternoon. You're right, T-850, this film does make you want to see more Kurosawa films (and Tifune films, as well). I've seen five now (Seven Samurai, Ran, Dreams, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo).

I'm going to save any further comments about this film for my next "Quick Reviews #9," so it might be June before it's ready.

One question, T-850: you didn't mention any comparison to A Fistful of Dollars. Have you seen it? and if so, what did you think of how Leone adapted this story to a western? (by the way, the uncredited-Kurosawa sued Leone and won!).
Glad to see that you had the time to view Yojimbo Mark.

As for the comparison with A Fistful of Dollars: We all know that Clint Eastwood has so many movies that you can't even keep up with them! I have seen A Fistful of Dollars several times but its hard to remember anything. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the #1 Eastwood movie for me and definitely the #1 film I've seen the most times.

Since I didn't mention any comparisons with A Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo, I'd like to see you do it for "Quick Reviews #9"

(by the way, the uncredited-Kurosawa sued Leone and won!).
Wow... you've been posting some interesting facts today Mark

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Since I didn't mention any comparisons with A Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo, I'd like to see you do it for "Quick Reviews #9"
I don't have much room in my "Quick Reviews" for a proper comparison, but I mention a few things, briefly (it's the first film in "QR #9," so I have eight more films to review before anyone will see it).

I watched Fistful of Dollars last summer, so it's pretty fresh in my memory. The story follows Yojimbo all the way to the end. Some things are almost exact, including some of the dialogue! It's amazing to me that it could be so similar and not have Kurosawa credited (Kurosawa bought the rights for the novel Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammet.

I don't usually do reveiws other than my "Quick Reviews" and "Movie Reviews 4 Fun" list, but I may do a "special feature" comparing these two films. Want to join me, T-850? You've watched Yojimbo recently, and you own it, so you could watch it again if you need to refresh. All you'd need to do is rent Fistful, and we could write a reveiw together. Maybe we could talk LordSlaytan into doing one, as well.

I don't usually do reveiws other than my "Quick Reviews" and "Movie Reviews 4 Fun" list, but I may do a "special feature" comparing these two films. Want to join me, T-850? You've watched Yojimbo recently, and you own it, so you could watch it again if you need to refresh. All you'd need to do is rent Fistful, and we could write a reveiw together. Maybe we could talk LordSlaytan into doing one, as well.
That’s not a bad idea at all.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I'm in, as long as you're not talking, "due in a week".
I agree. If you’re not talking “due in a week” than you can count me in

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I'm in, as long as you're not talking, "due in a week".
I agree. If you’re not talking “due in a week” than you can count me in.
What if we set a date for the end of May or middle of June? Heck, we don't even have to set a date. Let's just plan on doing it and go at our own pace. We can post and announce when everyone is finished. I can ask Dave if he's interested, as well.

Just so we all understand, this would be one review comparing and contrasting the two films, praising and/or criticizing Leone's adaptation, looking at things that were done better in whichever film, etc.

I could create a "Special Features" page, or even a "Compare and Contrast" page on my website, and maybe every once in a while we could compare films like Romeo and Juliet vs. West Side Story, The Thing from Outer Space vs. Alien, Heart of Darkness(made for A&E), vs. Apocalypse Now, or Bringing Up Baby vs. What's Up Doc?.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but it's just an idea.

An American In Paris - 1951 - Dir. by Vincente Minnelli - starring Gene Kelly

T-850's An American In Paris review

I could create a "Special Features" page, or even a "Compare and Contrast" page on my website, and maybe every once in a while we could compare films like Romeo and Juliet vs. West Side Story, The Thing from Outer Space vs. Alien, Heart of Darkness(made for A&E), vs. Apocalypse Now, or Bringing Up Baby vs. What's Up Doc?.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but it's just an idea.
Sounds good to me

...a "Compare and Contrast" page on my website...
In that case, why not do Derek Jarman's The Tempest vs. Forbidden Planet vs. Yellow Sky?

Nice review, T.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

I watched Fistful of Dollars last summer, so it's pretty fresh in my memory. The story follows Yojimbo all the way to the end. Some things are almost exact, including some of the dialogue!
I just finished watching Yojimbo's follow up Sanjuro; It's contemporary is A few Dollars More.