No Man's Sky

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Heh yeah, I've read far more about people enjoying escapes than the actual scrapes, as the FPS/flight stuff does sound proper cludgy. Stuff like: Escape drones into cave, get attacked by cave pineapple, shoot hole in wall, jetpack. All that sounds promising

There is a neat way to get more power out of slightly upgraded weapons. But I'm gonna let you find it

Heh yeah, I've read far more about people enjoying escapes than the actual scrapes, as the FPS/flight stuff does sound proper cludgy. Stuff like: Escape drones into cave, get attacked by cave pineapple, shoot hole in wall, jetpack. All that sounds promising

There is a neat way to get more power out of slightly upgraded weapons. But I'm gonna let you find it
On it!

Ok, top tip of the day: Planetary Waypoints. Kinda.

Found a site you want to revisit later? You can scan it with your 'visor' and it'll appear as a white-dot waypoint in your HUD. You can clear it by standing near it and scanning the local area. (Not sure how long it persists, but sounds useful for downed ships and other major loot )

The People's Republic of Clogher
The whole HUD is a mess right now. Waypoints disappear, there's far too little differentiation between places visited and not and they're far too close to your aiming crosshair.

I think I'm bored already. It's bland, repetitive and doesn't control very well.

The comparisons with Out There are pretty apt.

You are helping me manage my hype excellently

The Reddit froth is drawing some frightening parallels with Elite. It's all about vibe. And screenshots

I'm very interested to hear what you make of the game, specifically as someone who has a lot more time for these kind of games than me.

I've been to about 10 systems now and pretty much feel like I've seen all the game has to offer. If it did one thing really well I'd be happier, but I'm struggling.

Yeah I'm intrigued too . I'm definitely worried by this 'do lots of mechanics averagely' aspect, and I'm also actually quite resistant to most survival games unless there's a creative element. I'm also quite sandboxed out. I'm liking the overall 'vision' thing, of the recreation of a lone wonderer, with accompanying swelling soundtrack. Reckon if the creative aspect = me telling myself stories as the music shifts and I jump around planets, I could see it working. Also I may say pewpew a lot

I've not seen any kind of creative element so far, certainly not in the Minecraft/Terraria style. They're promising being able to build your own ships and stations in future updates and I'm wondering how recent a change that is? Did they suddenly get spooked by the initial critical reports of there not being a lot to do?

The music is great, I'll give it that, but it's not an original score. Apparently it was written as an alternative soundtrack to Silent Running.

I get the impression there's been a shift from a strict 'keep moving, don't settle' impetus, to allowing a longer-game bit of artsy-crafty settlement stuff and 'planet owning'. They always mentioned bases / big ships etc amongst the dreamier stretch goals though, so it's not a total knee-jerk thing.

In an ideal world they'll introduce some kind of voxel construction with the base building, but doing that right would be uber-hard. I think it'll probably just be ill-fitting cosmetic boxes, as with most survival games

Any game with this in it has to be alright. Doesn't it?

Doesn't it?

(I guess the answer may depend on whether it poops out resources...)

I will approach all planets with trepidation now...

They always mentioned bases / big ships etc amongst the dreamier stretch goals though, so it's not a total knee-jerk thing.
I didn't hear anything about that until some people on forums were trying to talk their way around accusations of lack of content. It's the old "Final Fantasy XIII gets really good at the 30 hour mark" thing and it just doesn't sit well with me any more.

I'll come back to it once (hopefully, because I do want to like NMS) it feels less like an early access game.

I'll come back to it once (hopefully, because I do want to like NMS) it feels less like an early access game.
Aaand, we're back in Elite territory

But yeah, they've clearly coined it, and it's a passion project, so expect we will see solid freebie updates. Just not quickly

Only one more day until I can find my own Nopenopenopenope

Aaand, we're back in Elite territory

But yeah, they've clearly coined it, and it's a passion project, so expect we will see solid freebie updates. Just not quickly
I had an awful lot more fun with Elite at launch (1.0 launch even, not the Beta) than with NMS. The gameplay loop was similarly short but they nailed it.

I had an awful lot more fun with Elite at launch (1.0 launch even, not the Beta) than with NMS. The gameplay loop was similarly short but they nailed it.
Yeah I guess what I'm saying is that procedural galaxies are always going to struggle to fill out their corners with content. They'll always beg for more.

My expectations with NMS are that the love has gone into vibe, as with ED, but with more focus on filling out the corners, with gameplay sophistication being more sorely neglected instead. I can see how this will hurt the act of completing the loops, but it seems there are more potential gaming objectives available, and so hopefully more elongations and applications of the loops in question.

It's clear that, like ED, they've also been defeated by scale, in terms of things like static singular NPCs etc, but I'm looking forward to exploring a space-box with the emphasis on 'living worlds', and the on-foot scale, even if I feel like I'm doing it with blunt tools.

(PS I apologise in advance for the inevitable space-tourist photo-bombs that will follow )

And talking o'which. Here are some screenshots from the future

I won't be able to achieve such 4K shiny, but good to know it exists. More sliders abounding than I was expecting, given they've arrived after 3 days of frantic coding

I wonder if generation detail will help up improve the draw distance / pop-in.

Aaaand, it's refund-o-rama, as the PC launch stinks up the internet. TotalBiscuit has said the words 'Arkham Knight'. Redditers are suggesting playing in borderless windowed and/or offline is fixing the issue. I'll join the drama dance in a few hours

Wow, that's a shame. The Arkham Knight kerfuffle I can understand to an extent as the port was shoved out to an underfunded and under pressure third party.

No real excuse for this.

Seems like the Steam download is half the size of the PS4 one, which doesn't speak too well for improved texture resolution.