Star Trek Beyond

Tools    

I do like that Idris Elba is the villain for he was amazing as Shere Khan voice and like he is a new race of alien but people of Star Trek want Mostly 3 races Romulans, Klingons or Vulcans simply thats the big bad Character races.
It'll be interesting if they ever choose to have the Borg in these films.

I hope for a funny comedy

Welcome to the human race...
It'll be interesting if they ever choose to have the Borg in these films.
Interesting, perhaps, but ultimately inadvisable if we're talking about pitting them against the TOS crew. The Borg were introduced in TNG and one of the most interesting things about them is how they serve as Picard's arch-enemies throughout the series, so to jam them into the rebooted TOS continuity simply because they're such iconic villains would be even worse than introducing Khan in Into Darkness.

Nothing has yet to top the wrath of khan,ricardo montalban s screen charisma and william shatner as james t kirk superb film eve after some 35 year or so ,except star trek 2009 which is extremely good i liked it a lot.

Apparently Simon Pegg has made Sulu gay in Star Trek Beyond as a nod to George Takei. My first thought was of Sulu and Chekov (I think it was) eyeing up Vixis's muscles at the end of Star Trek V .

But, Sulu was married and had a Daughter. His Daughter even appeared in Generations.

Ok it's an alternate universe, but... Hollywood love their race-lifting and sex-lifting, and now a new one... orientation-lifting.

But, Sulu was married and had a Daughter. His Daughter even appeared in Generations.
Oh that's true, I remember now.

Welcome to the human race...

Ok it's an alternate universe, but... Hollywood love their race-lifting and sex-lifting, and now a new one... orientation-lifting.
Judging from the reports, Sulu is still married (to a guy) and has a daughter. It's a nice touch, but it's interesting to see Takei himself take issue with it for some fairly understandable reasons. Hoping the film proper actually goes somewhere with it because these last couple of films tend to sideline Sulu anyway.

Judging from the reports, Sulu is still married (to a guy) and has a daughter. It's a nice touch, but it's interesting to see Takei himself take issue with it for some fairly understandable reasons. Hoping the film proper actually goes somewhere with it because these last couple of films tend to sideline Sulu anyway.
Ah, that's interesting to see. I agree with him, and it's an argument that translates to characters in a lot of other franchises.

What I find a bit peculiar is the way they keep saying that this Sulu is a different character. Perhaps what was confusing is referring to the "Prime Universe" and whatever this new one is called instead of the "Prime Timeline". As far as I can see, Nero just went back in time along the same timeline as he was from and changed history. So characters like Spock and Kirk are affected by that, sometimes only in small ways, but to me they should still be seen as the same characters and not from a parallel universe.

What I find a bit peculiar is the way they keep saying that this Sulu is a different character. Perhaps what was confusing is referring to the "Prime Universe" and whatever this new one is called instead of the "Prime Timeline".
That's a laugh, I've just seen that Simon Pegg used exactly this phrase when explaining his decision. And then Zachary Quinto calls it the prime universe again. Star Trek and time travel do not mix.

I can't help but look at the argument and think there's a lot of pomposity coming from Pegg especially – I think it would have been more respectful to George Takei to actually listen to what he was saying, particularly as it was based on respect for Gene Roddenberry.

I saw a bit of Star Trek yesterday – unsure as to the episode but a scene involved a female alien trying to touch Sulu in order to kill him. Sulu is disturbed that a beautiful (and seemingly unthreatening) woman could be "evil" and unsurprisingly the moment is very heterosexual, and I think played as such by George Takei. We shouldn't forget that Sulu's heterosexuality was part of the role that Takei was portraying. It wasn't something that was absent or invisible, it was there on screen.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw a bit of Star Trek yesterday – unsure as to the episode but a scene involved a female alien trying to touch Sulu in order to kill him. Sulu is disturbed that a beautiful (and seemingly unthreatening) woman could be "evil" and unsurprisingly the moment is very heterosexual, and I think played as such by George Takei. We shouldn't forget that Sulu's heterosexuality was part of the role that Takei was portraying. It wasn't something that was absent or invisible, it was there on screen.

Does this look like the woman in the episode? If so, the episode was called "That Which Survives".

Does this look like the woman in the episode? If so, the episode was called "That Which Survives".
Yeah, that's the one – she looked very familiar actually. I love the original series.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, that's the one – she looked very familiar actually. I love the original series.

She's Lee Meriwether. She's also famous for playing Catwoman in Batman: The Movie (1966), and for the TV series "Barnaby Jones" in the '70's.

She's Lee Meriwether. She's also famous for playing Catwoman in Batman: The Movie (1966), and for the TV series "Barnaby Jones" in the '70's.
Of course . Thanks for reminding me.

Interesting details today about Star Trek: Discovery

WARNING: spoilers below
That the lead will be a non-white female lieutenant commander, rather than the Captain. This would I suppose be a bit like the original series focusing on Spock particularly instead of Kirk.

Also that there will be a gay character, which does make me wonder again why there was the requirement to alter Sulu if this was in the pipeline.

Nothing has yet to top the wrath of khan,ricardo montalban s screen charisma and william shatner as james t kirk superb film eve after some 35 year or so ,except star trek 2009 which is extremely good i liked it a lot.
To me, The Wrath of Kahn was like the best of the Original Star Wars series. It is one of those iconic moments within a larger franchise that will probably never be topped.

I'm not sure its fair to expect modern day reboots to be able to top that... Although I thought the end of Star Trek: Into Darkness did a nice omage to it.