Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

So, when exactly is the Silent Film Era? The “official” timing of this would consist of the years from 1894 up through 1929.

Eligibility:
- Any film that is ALL silent (the only sound being the score) from the time period mentioned above.
- Short films will be allowed in as a nomination. But please keep in mind that a choice of a 20 minute film will have the possibility of being nominated against a film that is 2 hours in length.

Please Note:
- I’m hoping that we will have a minimum of 8 participants. If we get 8 people to join, then we will go with that. But if we don’t obtain that number, then the 7 or less of us will be allowed to nominate 2 films per person.
- Please be considerate with your nomination. Silent films aren’t the most easily accessible films out there. Please check your potential nomination(s) to make sure others will be able to watch it. That would be greatly appreciated.
- Please PM your nomination to me by Sunday, August 14th, 11:59 p.m., CST.
- The deadline for the films to be watched and lists to be sent in will, of course, be based on the total number of nominations received, but I will also be adding an extra week onto that number just to make sure everyone has that little bit of extra time to get their viewings in.

Have Fun!!

****************************************************************************************************

Participants:
Citizen Rules
Beatle
SilentVamp
Swan
Rauldc
Mäx
Destiny
cricket

The Nominations

Wings (William A. Wellman, 1927)
Nominated by Citizen Rules

Orphans of the Storm (D.W. Griffith, 1921)
Nominated by Beatle
Ineligible

The Big Parade (King Vidor, 1925)
Nominated by SilentVamp

Sherlock, Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924)
Nominated by Swan
Ineligible

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
Nominated by Rauldc

Diary of a Lost Girl (G. W. Pabst, 1929)
Nominated by Mäx

Nosferatu (F. W. Murnau, 1922)
Nominated by Destiny

The Crowd (King Vidor, 1928)
Nominated by cricket

Deadline: Saturday, October 15th

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This is bullsh*t.. Japan and USSR made some silents in a year as far from 1929 as 1935.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Good luck Vamp, hope this is a success . I'm not going to join because i'm waiting for Rauls Animation Countdown and i don't want to risk not finishing one of these by joining too many. Hope it works out and is fun though, i'll be following and taking recs most likely

This is bullsh*t.. Japan and USSR made some silents in a year as far from 1929 as 1935.
And The Artist was 2011, madness

Also Vamp, Beatle seemed interested in joining this after i brought it up to him, it would maybe help to message him just in case.

And The Artist was 2011, madness
The Artist is not a part of a silent era of a given country. 1935's An Inn in Tokyo still belongs to Japan's silent era, because of the fact Benshi were hugely popular in Japan and also the country was quite behind the times. Happiness from 1935 was made silent, because the authorities for some reason said that as a silent this movie is eligible to be shown in cinemas, but were it a sound picture, they'd ban it. It's a natural extension of Soviet silent period.

Besides, this ridiculous time line eliminates some Chaplin movies, too.

If you ask me, I'd make any silent film eligible.

Oh, I knew there was going to be something said about what I planned on this HoF focusing on.

First of all, I was hoping that we would be able to focus more on films from an era that doesn't get as much attention anymore.

Second, of course there were silent films that were produced AFTER 1929, but the key word in this is "era". The golden age of the silent films was done after 1929. That is why that cutoff date was chosen.

Third, I don't think it is so terrible that I thought it would be good to highlight a particular time in film history.

Fourth, there is no reason why another Silent Film HoF couldn't be done after this one. I even considered that because I figured that some people would have a problem with not allowing anything after 1929 into this.

The Artist is not a part of a silent era of a given country. 1935's An Inn in Tokyo still belongs to Japan's silent era, because of the fact Benshi were hugely popular in Japan and also the country was quite behind the times. Happiness from 1935 was made silent, because the authorities for some reason said that as a silent this movie is eligible to be shown in cinemas, but were it a sound picture, they'd ban it. It's a natural extension of Soviet silent period.

Besides, this ridiculous time line eliminates some Chaplin movies, too.

If you ask me, I'd make any silent film eligible.
You aren't going to join anyway like you never do, why are you even annoyed?

Of course, I'm not going to join if these ridiculous limits are kept. It's like making an Italian Neorealism HoF, but making it 1945-1950 and therefore Ossessione and Umberto D. are not eligible.

Of course, I'm not going to join if these ridiculous limits are kept. It's like making an Italian Neorealism HoF, but making it 1945-1950 and therefore Ossessione and Umberto D. are not eligible.
So you were going to join if the ridiculous limits weren't set? Somehow i doubt that.

Minio I disagree with the rule too, but this kind of debate has happened in the past and we decided to just leave it up to each host, and if a person disagrees and doesn't want to join, they don't have to. That's something I do agree with, and in that case -

Best of luck with this HoF, Silent Vamp.

Minio I disagree with the rule too, but this kind of debate has happened in the past and we decided to just leave it up to each host, and if a person disagrees and doesn't want to join, they don't have to. That's something I do agree with, and in that case -

Best of luck with this HoF, Silent Vamp.
Plus he clearly has no intention to join like he never does. At least the people involved in that last mess had intention to join, or had joined HOF's in the past. This just seems like someone who never comes near this part of town any other time flipping out because he doesn't agree with something that won't and never would affect him.

I love you two and you know it, but I think y'all should both stop arguing with each other (no offense) and let these guys have their fun. I'm sorry for my own initial negativity.

On with the show, and like I said, best of luck.

Plus he clearly has no intention to join like he never does.
That's what Germans thought of the US in 1917.
This just seems like someone who never comes near this part of town any other time flipping out because he doesn't agree with something that won't and never would affect him.
Silent film is my side of town.

But fine, enjoy your HoF.