Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Ghosts are back and the origiinal gang has to stop them once again
Whut.

He's been copying and pasting thread to thread. Did most of it in the Small Soldiers thread.
He'll be banned soon.

Coming up on the 3rd weekend, and it's dropped another 69% on ticket sales.

They're only just reached $159m.

Grand profit so far, taking into account marketing is still around minus $40m.
It's been officially pronounced a box office flop.

There's been news that the sequels and franchises that the studios were harping on about, is not happening now.

The original Ghostbusters is one of my favorite comedies.

Haven't seen the remake yet (not sure I will) but it looks awful. I'll just assume Harold Ramis is rolling over in his grave.

~ Quint

It appears estimates on the losses weren't even close.

Budgeted at $144m, and has made $158m in ticket sales... it appears that the licensing fees and marketing numbers were way off.

Paul Feig said that to make a profit, they'd need over $500m in ticket sales.

The largest bombs in history so far, adjusted for inflation, are Cutthroat Island with a loss of $140m... Titan AE with $137m... and John Carter with somewhere between $150m-$200m.

Ghostbusters is currently standing at a loss of over $340m.

This means not only has the movie bombed (it was officially declared a couple days ago), but it may well be the biggest box office flop in history.

Welcome to the human race...
The original Ghostbusters is one of my favorite comedies.

Haven't seen the remake yet (not sure I will) but it looks awful. I'll just assume Harold Ramis is rolling over in his grave.
If that's what you assume, then you picked an accurate user title.

Why do people always say "rolling over in their grave" to say that someone dead is upset about something going on among the living?

They are in a grave. Nothing could be more upsetting than that. Harold Ramis wouldn't care if Donald Trump played all four of the Ghostbusters.

Why do people always say "rolling over in their grave" to say that someone dead is upset about something going on among the living?

They are in a grave. Nothing could be more upsetting than that. Harold Ramis wouldn't care if Donald Trump played all four of the Ghostbusters.
Based on the context, my understanding is that whatever it is that's happened in the world of the living is even more upsetting to the dead person than the fact that they are dead and buried, so I imagine the rolling over comes from the fact that that's the only way that they can turn their back on this world of the living in order to disregard whatever has happened.

Also, its inherently presumptuous nature makes it a flawed expression. Who's to say that Ramis (who spent years working on a new Ghostbusters anyway) would have unquestionably hated the new one anyway? At the very least, there's enough room for doubt that people shouldn't use what they think he might have felt about it in order to prop up their own opinions or (in this particular case) assumptions.

Harold Ramis would have had a cameo in this movie, just like everyone else from the first two movies.

That doesn't mean he would actually need to like the movie, I suppose... but I think he would have supported it.

Harold Ramis would have had a cameo in this movie, just like everyone else from the first two movies.

That doesn't mean he would actually need to like the movie, I suppose... but I think he would have supported it.
What a wonderful thing to promote something so you won't get sued.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not a bad movie! I saw it when it opened, and I enjoyed it. Nope, it isn't as good as the original, but then few things are. It's funnier than Ghostbusters 2, though. I frankly don't care about all the nerd rage, or the anti-feminist ranting, or box office or what have you. Taken on it's own merits, it's funny, well made, and people who are complaining it's anti-men are grasping at straws of straws. Kate McKinnon was hilarious and I feel like she will have a great comedy career outside of this one. Strangely, Melissa McCarthy was really subdued compared to her usual force of nature performances in Bridesmaids, Spy, and The Heat. Normally she's like a female John Belushi, I think, just not here. If there is any complaints I do have it's that the film feels...held back a little, like there's a hilarious R Rated version out there somewhere that we didn't get to see because they wanted to sell toys. Here's hoping for that cut on DVD? I'd give it about 3 stars.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Passed on seeing this after the awful trailers completely turned me away. I'll likely give it a look when it hits DVD and I rent it from the library near me that carries DVDs for rent. Reviews are mixed and the reception is pretty intensely split among fans from what I've seen elsewhere. Some fans positively loathe it and others liked it and a few are saying it's better than Ghostbusters II. As someone who's a huge fan of the original two movies and think GB2 is one of the most underrated and unfairly hated sequels ever, I'm certain I won't be sharing this view.

Passed on seeing this after the awful trailers completely turned me away. I'll likely give it a look when it hits DVD and I rent it from the library near me that carries DVDs for rent. Reviews are mixed and the reception is pretty intensely split among fans from what I've seen elsewhere. Some fans positively loathe it and others liked it and a few are saying it's better than Ghostbusters II. As someone who's a huge fan of the original two movies and think GB2 is one of the most underrated and unfairly hated sequels ever, I'm certain I won't be sharing this view.
I'd advise against having such inflexible expectations. Otherwise, you're just going to end up convincing yourself that it's bad regardless of its actual merits.

I admit I definitely have a nostalgic bias and attachment with something that was such a huge childhood staple of mine like Ghostbusters. That said, I will try to keep as open a mind as possible when I do eventually see this. I'm not even one of those "this raped my childhood!" type of people, but this movie from the instant I heard of it's conception to seeing the terrible trailers, it reeked of a gimmick.

I enjoyed it, it wasn't that bad.
WARNING: "minor?" spoilers below
I had some laughs and thought the way they worked in the cameos was a nice touch. Although, I found Kate McKinnon's character to be incredibly dull. I thought she would be the breakout star of the movie, but that clearly went to Leslie Jones. I can see her successfully starring in her own films.

To be fair, it is Honest Trailers. Just like Cinema Sins, they point out the flaws with every single movie they cover regardless of how much they personally liked or disliked it. I feel like I could question their point about how all the main characters are trying to be the comic relief, though - it's not like having four distinctively comedic characters is automatically worse than having one comic relief do the heavy lifting for the other two or three straight-man characters (if anything, that's what probably led people to think the original wasn't as much of a comedy as it actually was). Still, at least they rightly called out the horribly vocal haters.