Lets Talk Football

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Sorry for being stuck in the past here but we are off-season. I've been watching James 2014 World Cup matches and i honestly think his performance may be the best since Maradonna 86.

He scored 6 and had 2 assists with involvement in another of Columbias goals, basically 6/2/1 of 10 goals scored from Columbia and the only goal he had no involvement in was the goal that put Columbia up 3-1 against Japan. This is from a centre midfielder, so 6/2/1 in 5 games from a non striker. And in comparison Golden Ball Winner and Striker Lionel Messi had 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 games, all of which were in the first three games against Iran, Nigeria and Bosnia. His performance against Uruguay in the last 16 is also unquestionably the best in the four world cups i've seen as a fan, and that is again unquestionably Columbia's most important WC match. Losing Falcao was brutal for the team, but he still managed to be the best and most dangerous player on either side in the game versus Brazil with questionable decisions going against them. Re watching some of this i really don't think i'll see a World Cup performance like that again and i'm just sad that it wasn't taken further.

Sorry for the hyperbole but i think James vs Uruguay is the peak of international football in my life:

Another player brought to you by FC Porto! You're welcome!

Can't believe Guap tried to use the Copa America as a high point for South American /Non European football. Watching the goals from the tournament, it is probably the most awkward thing i've ever watched, especially the US bumbling their way into goals against one of the worst defences of all time:

So, so bad.

When i used to watch football a lot more throughout the season i always used to catch the end of the MLS Season. Think it was three years in a row, just the last few matches in the MLS Cup though. Also Celtic went through a period of facing MLS Teams in pre season friendlies quite a bit. I went to two of them; against Chicago Fire and DC United. That's about it though. Why have you been watching it?

I only pay attention to my club, Toronto. Can't be bothered to watch any more than that.
When i used to watch football a lot more throughout the season i always used to catch the end of the MLS Season. Think it was three years in a row, just the last few matches in the MLS Cup though. Also Celtic went through a period of facing MLS Teams in pre season friendlies quite a bit. I went to two of them; against Chicago Fire and DC United. That's about it though. Why have you been watching it?
Just been reading a bit more and watching more highlights on that. My favourite football statistics website WhoScored now covers the league and does some articles on it too, and I have found NYFC to be pretty interesting, it seems really competitive in the fact anyone can win it each year. I'm considering trying to follow a team more closely and pay more attention, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Want to learn more about rules and players so I have a good knowledge like I do the major European leagues.

Sounds like an interesting thing to do. If i was to do the same for a Non-European league/team i'd personally go for the Brazillian League or maybe the Argentine. More than likely the former though, mostly because i'm interested in the history of the league. Like you were saying it is also a league where anyone can win. Also the team that wins the league very rarely does the best in the Copa Libertadores (SA Champions League basically) that season, really seems like it's a one or the other thing which is clearly not the case in Europe. The only team i can think of this century that won the Champions League without being one of the major contenders or even winners of their league was Liverpool in 2005 who finished 5th that year.

And yeah Whoscored is a good site.

Yeah, the South American teams seem to be a lot more advanced in terms of homegrown talent, money, the technical side etc. but they also seem to be more isolated, MLS seems to be getting a lot more press in UK recently and is shown on Sky quite a bit now.

China is going the same way by the looks of it. With the amount of money in the European game at the moment, it's not a surprise that it's branching out all over the world. USA and China are such big markets but have been massively behind in terms of domestic infrastructure up until recent years where they've improved a bit. It will be interesting to see long term how it effects national teams and that.

If i'm honest i didn't like what i watched from the MLS, it was really messy, terrible defending, etc. Saying that as i said i only watched a few games a year and this was probably 2009/2010/2011, something like that it has probably came along since then.

China is definitely interesting. They've only had a Professional League since 2004 and they have already sunk quite a chunk of money into their game, and bought a few big stars. Same as MLS these are usually people who are nearing the end of their career or aren't getting top level interest in Europe but from what i've seen China seems to have a lot more dedication than the US and eventually i could see it evolving into one of the worlds premier leagues. Chinese side Shanghai SIPG just bought Brazillian player Hulk who i'm sure you remember mostly from Porto or the National Team for £45 Million an Asian record. He'll be on 320K a week which according to this article makes him the 9th highest paid player in the world - https://www.theguardian.com/football...000-week-wages

Shanghai will reportedly pay Hulk around £320,000 a week or £16.6m a year – more than Luis Suárez earns at Barcelona,

More than Suarez? Hulk??

Yeah, they're attracting a lot better players and younger ones too because of money. Ramires, Teixeira, Paulinho etc.

Agree on MLS, that's what puts me off, I always think the concepts good so I'll try watching it then I'm not so sure. Seems like poor standard, really messy defending, pitches seem tight with about 5 players crowding around each ball. I'll have a look into a few more matches and see, I'll probably just keep an eye on results and that for the rest of this season.

Just been reading a bit more and watching more highlights on that. My favourite football statistics website WhoScored now covers the league and does some articles on it too, and I have found NYFC to be pretty interesting, it seems really competitive in the fact anyone can win it each year. I'm considering trying to follow a team more closely and pay more attention, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Want to learn more about rules and players so I have a good knowledge like I do the major European leagues.
New York City or New York Red Bulls?

Think he means New York City since he said NYFC. Also they have some big players like Villa, Pirlo, and Lampard. Red Bulls don't really have any stars so i'd be surprised if he was talking about them.

Think he means New York City since he said NYFC. Also they have some big players like Villa, Pirlo, and Lampard. Red Bulls don't really have any stars so i'd be surprised if he was talking about them.
They are referred to as NYCFC over here, which is why I asked.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Also they have some big players like ..... Lampard.
Yep, I'd say Frank is pretty big these days. Morbidly big.

Manchester City have signed Leroy Sané from Schalke.

Looks to be a great prospect that could develop well under Guardiola. I think he'll fit the English game well.

Bitterly, bitterly disappointed with France loosing. They organized such a likeable tournament. (Even though the quality is the worst I've seen, like people say). Gotta hand it to Portugal, though. Congrats, Neiba! What can I say? I'm a francophile. Always have been. Lizarazu, member of the genial Zidane's France said France isn't yet ready, they will be in Russia. Also, why no Benzana or Rivery? And Verran was also injured..If they finally put them selves together (as they played against Iceland, my fave game of the whole tournament, and I really think it was the only fantastic one), with so much talent (Payet, my absoltue fave, and it seems to me that as an all-round player he's underrated, ok he maybe did a nasty thing in the final, Griezmann, giroud, Pogba), I'd really like to all finally come together in Russia. Oh, Lloris also. My fave, and a fantastic and underrated keeper.

Better than Zidane and Romario?

The best I have seem play are Messi and Zidane. But I don't think I am qualified to rank these two.
My football knowledge is very poor, but Zidane is the best I've seen and all time favorite. He's a genius. ('98 final, 2000, remember that goal against Spain?) From what I reckon

1. Pele
2. Maradonna
Who'd be 3rd? Messi?

Is anyone going to bother watching the Olympic football tournament?

Zidane really got me into watching football, so he's my all-time favourite player. He really did seem like a magician with the ball and I can't think of anyone who comes close (not that I have vast experience or anything).

And Buffon's a great character – it was nice when he went over to congratulate Martin O'Neill when Republic of Ireland beat Italy.
glad to hear that.

Also, why no Benzana or Rivery?
Ribery is retired from international football. Benzema was intentionally left off because he questioned by police about attempting to blackmail his teammate Valbuena with a sex tape of him and his girlfriend/wife for his friend. Here's an articlle about it:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ected-sex-tape

My football knowledge is very poor, but Zidane is the best I've seen and all time favorite. He's a genius. ('98 final, 2000, remember that goal against Spain?) From what I reckon

1. Pele
2. Maradonna
Who'd be 3rd? Messi?
All time it is difficult because so many of the players pre-70s don't have much footage but if i was to go off of the footage i've seen and statistics i'd go:

01.Pele (His career with Brazil is well known. Played in 4 world cups, scored in them all. Won three although one (1962) he only played in 2/6 games because of injury, Garrincha was seen as the best there. In 1958 he was seen as either the best or the second best (Didi), and he was only 17. 1970 he was universally seen as the best. He also played in one Copa America finishing as top scorer with 8 goals in 5 matches but didn't win. His club career was also incredible. The Santos team he started with were seen as minnows and he helped transform them into the greatest ever Brazillian team. He won 10 state championships, 6 League Championships. About those leagues Santos 50 years later currently have the joint most league wins in Brazil with 8 along with Palmeiras. Six of which Pele won including 5 in a row which is amazing. And this was when the Brazillian league was one of the best in the world since most Brazillians stayed in their league. He won two Copa Libertadores (SA Champions League basically) and he personally destroyed the European Champions those years AC Milan and Benfica in the Intercontinental Cup. Unbelievable career, sadly there isn't enough footage of his peak in the early 60's)

02.Johan Cruyff (Underrated. Think him not winning the World Cup has played against him, i recently watched all of Hollands game in that WC and he was amazing so was the team, if they had won i think his performance would be as lionized as Maradonna 86. Another unbelievable club career with Ajax which i've been watching lately. Amazing footballing brain which i think he completely proved later as manager of Barcelona.)

03.Franz Beckenbauer (Underrated as well. Such an intelligent player and possibly the greatest ever team leader as well as one of the most diverse players. He switched between defence and midfield regularly and he also performed both defensive and offensive duties throughout. He also rivals Pele for the most successful out of the people who have a claim for the best. Multiple titles with Bayern as well as 3 European Cups. A World Cup and European Championship with Germany as well as finishing 2nd and 3rd. Planning on watching more of him when i'm done with Cruyff.)

04.Diego Maradonna (Possibly the most talented player of all time and other than the #5 the one i've seen the most of. He rightfully has a strong claim for #1 and i wouldn't have a problem with someone having him there. The main reason he is behind those three is because i think he underachieved at club level and wasn't consistently as great as he could be. The Napoli team he played for was incredible and i felt he should've done more with them even though he was fairly successful. The rest of his club career was a bit blah. #2 behind Pele for country though.)

05.Lionel Messi (Don't think i need to say much about him. He could move up.)

Also thanks for all the rep Beatle i came onto like 20+ from you haha.

The top three for the best player in Europe 2015/16 Awards are Bale, Griezmann and Ronaldo. The winner will be announced on 25th August. As it says in the article click on the players name to see everything they did in this time:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionslea...d=2394360.html

I'm guessing it will be 01.Ronaldo 02.Griezmann 03.Bale. I'd be surprised if Bale wasn't third and i can't see Griezmann winning over Ronaldo since his team lost in both the Champions League and Euro finals against Ronaldo's.

The rest of the top ten:

4 Luis Suárez (Barcelona & Uruguay) – 29 points
5 Lionel Messi (Barcelona & Argentina) – 25
6 Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus & Italy) – 19
7 Pepe (Real Madrid & Portugal) – 9
8 Manuel Neuer (Bayern München & Germany) – 6
9 Toni Kroos (Real Madrid & Germany) – 5
10 Thomas Müller (Bayern München & Germany) – 2

Surprised Neuer is there. I think he is the best keeper in the world but he had a bad for him Champions League campaign and just an ok Euro's IMO. Glad to see Pepe get some recognition.