The Lion king, more emotional after 20 years?

Tools    

I just received the blu ray version of this movie. I'm 30 years old and the last time I saw this movie was over 15 years ago. Its always been my favorite childhood movie but you know, life happens and I grew up and moved on.

I rewatched this movie in glorious blu ray last night and I have to say I was really really moved by it. As a kid I remember registering that something very very bad happened when Mufasa dies but when I watched it last night it was more like emotional trauma and I felt something much deeper. When the movie ended, and throughout today I've heard a lingering nostalgic feeling that I can't get rid of, like I'm longing for my childhood or oddly enough wishing Mufasa was still alive. I don't have kids but if I did I'd want them to watch this masterpeice.

Has anyone else felt like this movie had a more powerful impact upon rewatching it as an adult or am I crazy?

i think alot of childhood movies are like that.

firstly you have the pure nostalgia of watching something you used to watch as a kid (esp if you havent since),
but also we obviously put alot more thought into whats happning on screen and have a better understanding of it,also perhaps connecting it to our own personal misfortunes.

i remember watching the fox and the hound with a class of first graders i was teaching once and i had to leave the room cos i started crying when the old lady left the fox in the woods-one of the saddest scenes in a disney/childrens movies ive ever seen,along with mufasas death of course.

i think alot of childhood movies are like that.

firstly you have the pure nostalgia of watching something you used to watch as a kid (esp if you havent since),
but also we obviously put alot more thought into whats happning on screen and have a better understanding of it,also perhaps connecting it to our own personal misfortunes.

i remember watching the fox and the hound with a class of first graders i was teaching once and i had to leave the room cos i started crying when the old lady left the fox in the woods-one of the saddest scenes in a disney/childrens movies ive ever seen,along with mufasas death of course.
I think you're right on the pure nostalgia part. That's probably highlighting the emotional component of an already incredibly emotional movie.

Phew, it's a bit overwhelming. Life is going way too fast.

Sadly, I'm totally the opposite.
It was telly the other day and I tuned in as it was a favourite when I was a kid.

It's not aged well for me.

Found the humour non-existent and the general story generic. Honestly, I was bored.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I grew out of 99% Disney animation at a young age, and only really have fond memories of The Jungle Book, The Sword in the Stone, The Black Cauldron and the last one I really enjoyed Aladdin. However my favourite animated kids film of all time is We're Back.

I watched it the other day and it was pretty enjoyable but not sad at all.

I grew out of 99% Disney animation at a young age, and only really have fond memories of The Jungle Book, The Sword in the Stone, The Black Cauldron and the last one I really enjoyed Aladdin. However my favourite animated kids film of all time is We're Back.
Hahah, I forgot about we're back. I love that one.

I watched it the other day and it was pretty enjoyable but not sad at all.
Really?

Mufasa's death wasn't in the least bit sad to you?

I just received the blu ray version of this movie. I'm 30 years old and the last time I saw this movie was over 15 years ago. Its always been my favorite childhood movie but you know, life happens and I grew up and moved on.
Has anyone else felt like this movie had a more powerful impact upon rewatching it as an adult or am I crazy?
I don't think you're crazy at all...I saw this film for the first time about a year ago and have wanted to re-watch it, but keep finding myself putting it off and after reading your post, I know why...I don't know if I can sit through the scene where Mufasa dies again...that scene was really upsetting to me and I can't imagine sitting through it again.

Does boredom count as an emotion? How about annoyance?

I hated it when I saw it as an adolescent, I hated it when I saw it as an adult. Not sure which time I hated it more.

Does boredom count as an emotion? How about annoyance?

I hated it when I saw it as an adolescent, I hated it when I saw it as an adult. Not sure which time I hated it more.
Curious as to why you hate this movie so much? I have no problem with you hating it, I mean it took me over a decade to see it for the first time, but I was just curious what you hated about it.

Curious as to why you hate this movie so much? I have no problem with you hating it, I mean it took me over a decade to see it for the first time, but I was just curious what you hated about it.
Nearly all of the characters annoyed me, all of the songs annoyed me, and I didn't find any of the jokes funny.

A system of cells interlinked
Vicky petty much sums up my feelings as well. I just can't stand the songs and most of the characters tend to annoy me. Not a fan of The Lion King.

i watch lion king again yesterday and the feels is so strong....T_T

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I never really 'got' the Lion King. I mean it's fine, but I never cried over it or felt any desire to see the stage show or anything. I enjoyed Aladdin but felt like I grew out of Disney films with The Lion King. And I wasn't even that young when it came out.