Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi -

Top 5 Bay right here, for whatever that's worth.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
How can straight white males between the ages of 16-35 not enjoy QT? He's our guy.
Last I remember, QT himself is a whiny, squinty, scrunch-faced diva. I also don't think Leo runs like a "straight white male". Just a couple of thoughts to consider, before you place these guys on a pedestal next to John Rambo.

Welcome to the human race...
Last I remember, QT himself is a whiny, squinty, scrunch-faced diva.
This is also funny considering that your avatar is Christian Slater in Pump Up the Volume.

Last I remember, QT himself is a whiny, squinty, scrunch-faced diva.
Which clearly prevents him from being a talented director.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Which clearly prevents him from being a talented director.
No, I've enjoyed several of his movies. They were beautifully done on many levels. Unfortunately, many of them do not come across as a purely guys guy type of movie. Certainly not a director that is limited to a "straight white male audience between 16-35". I own Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, including soundtracks of the last two. None of them feature DiCaprio.

American Psycho (2001)

Spring Breakers (2012)

The Garden of Words (2013)

Predestination (2014)

Mommy (2014)

Demolition (2015)

Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Allegiant (2016)

Death Proof (Quentin Tarantino, 2007)

A rewatch, still a very enjoyable film. I still prefer the first half, maybe its a bit sleazy, but I think it works for what its going for. Kurt Russell is perfect for the role.

The Rack Pack (Brian Welsh, 2016)

Decent enough BBC production about the rise of snooker with interesting performances, the young Steve Davis. It's focus on Alex Higgins means its extremely repetitive, I watched a documentary about him before which captured his character and demise better I thought, this fails to really show us any of his talent and makes him look like a complete loser despite a decent performance. It perhaps should have focussed on Barry Hearn and the changes in snooker in general.

Good Kill (Andrew Niccol, 2014)

Well polished but pretty boring, not inventive any way cinematically, and quite heavy handed and predictable in the way it goes about things. The ending knocked off a popcorn too.

Everybody Wants Some -

Man i loved this. Linklater is one of my favourite dirctors, as much as i love a lot of his less comedy focused films i wouldn't be disappointed at all if he revisited this sort of film more often. It was great that so much of the film was just these guys going about trying loads of different college cultures, with the discos then the country place, the punk concert, etc. Excellent soundtrack, it perfectly fit the era and it wasn't the usual song choices. I'm not even sure what else to say about this, i just had a great time spending time with these characters. I do prefer Dazed and Confused but this was solid and a lot of fun.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Everybody Wants Some -
Spiritual successor to Dazed and Confused you say? I didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up fam.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Key Largo

Underrated John Huston classic. There's incredible chemistry between Bogey and Bacall, the claustrophobic setting proves to be wonderfully atmospheric, and the entire film flows by at a great pace. I might revisit this again some time in the future.

Michael

As expected from Dreyer, the film is beautifully composed and staged. Apart from Bergman, no filmmaker better uses the "close-up". I found the opening acts somewhat dull, but the film heads towards a powerful climax. Thematically, this film is most reminiscent of Gertrud.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Master of My Domain
Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016)

Went in expecting a solid action film, and that's what I got. The film can mainly be divided into three big-scale action sequences, the first two are a bit of a bore compared to what the earlier Bourne films managed to do, but the last one is throughly exciting, just enough to cover implausibilities.

As always, we get the plot about the CIA's secret operations and how Jason Bourne got involved. A few secrets are revealed, and not so surprisingly I wasn't surprised, nor did I care. The problem is that the last film ended with a satisfying conclusion. Now we're starting over again, starring even more character-less CIA agents, flashy flashbacks, and Greengrass putting 1 second length shots of computer screens together to create a sense of tension. Well, at least we get to see Bourne kick ass. That's my man!

-