Justice League

Tools    

Yknow guys, with George Miller at the helm this can be a great movie. I thought Zack Snyder was, glad he isnt.

Edit in - Nevermind. The OP wrote the post 9 years ago

When I think William Dafoe and playing a good character one would think of Perry White but thats not possible for Fishburn is playing him.

Looks terrible. Keep in mind, I'm old school comics.
This is not the Barry Allen I knew. And Aquaman? Looks more like Namor when he was an amnesiac derelict wondering the Bowery in 1962.
Cyborg's a great character, but he's a Teen Titan, putting him in the origins of the Justice League instead of Martian Manhunter is pure tokenism at its most appeasing level of political correctness (they did this in DC's big ret-con and now they have to do it here).
Where are Green Lantern & Superman?

Madness is the emergency exit…
Instead of that e-mail thing they should have add this kind of an intro in BvS or at least their perspective on Superman issue or his death at the end. But as the first teaser for finally a JL movie, it didn't turn out as exciting as I thought it'd be...mostly disappointed to see Ezra Miller as the Flash. Liked the last line from Batman though..."I'm real when it's useful!"

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
This is not the Barry Allen I knew.
DC had two relaunches in last 5 years alone.

This is current Aquaman

Cyborg's a great character, but he's a Teen Titan, putting him in the origins of the Justice League instead of Martian Manhunter is pure tokenism at its most appeasing level of political correctness (they did this is DC's big ret-con and now they have to do it here).
Cyborg is original member of Justice League, Martian Manhunter isn't.

Where are Green Lantern
Can't introduce GL without his core and that would be too much.

Dead.

What do you mean by "old school", 10,20,30 years? Comics change. This is probably not even Bruce Wayne you knew.

I must admit, for a non-superhero fan the DC stuff released the past few days look pretty freaking dope. I hold reservations because that's always been the case, for example with the Snyder Superman movies, and they end up being disappointments for a lot of people (I haven't seen Batman v Superman, but I was looking forward to Man of Steel being a philosophical, Malick-y superhero film and was sorely disappointed).

Speaking of philosophical superhero films, that's the direction I'd prefer the genre to go, at least somewhat. I mean... look, The Dark Knight is like that and it's the only superhero movie I really love. I feel like a lot of this flicks are just extremely hollow in that regard, without any real depth. That's what I feel is lacking from the Marvel films, personally. I know, a lot of you will say "oh, they're just meant to be fun" and maybe I'm just a sad stubborn man who lacks any fun in his life, but I disagree. I feel like you can be fun and still have an amount of depth currently lacking from a lot of these films.

Nolan's influence on DC is obvious and they need to keep the depth. People are stoked for the new Justice League movie and are saying "this is what it should be! Fun!" Sure... but you can be fun without removing poignant, meaningful material. I guess it's a balancing act.

After The Dark Knight came out the whole gritty superhero thing started getting a backlash, which I think is weird because I thought that element was pretty neat. I think part of the backlash was seeing similarly gritty stuff come out after that wasn't done right and relied to much on that grittiness, which you can't really do. The grit is simply an atmosphere.

What do I want DC to do? Embrace the grittiness and depth of their material, set themselves apart from Marvel and be something better. Each movie they release looks fantastic from the trailers and then are disappointments, and I'm hoping this time is different (as I always am, skeptically, with DC). I thought the Justice League footage was great, and the trailer for Wonder Woman (as well as the fact that it's directed by someone other than Snyder) has me looking forward to that one, too - perhaps even more than Justice League.

But don't shallow up your films just to please a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about. Don't pander to an audience that wants a carbon copy, stylistically, as the MCU films. Keep setting out to make the kinds of films you want to make, DC, but do it right.

Hopefully DC has just had a bumpy start in regard to getting this cinematic multiverse off the ground. I hope success for them, but I want it to be earned success. Make me a superhero fan by making your stories poignant and meaningful! Make them special! Set yourself apart from the rest of the genre!

I know a lot of you superhero fans will disagree with me, but whatever. My favorite superhero is Batman (granted I'm no superhero aficionado) and it's because I feel meaningfulness when I read or watch the material. There is a level of philosophical attraction and depth I don't feel from, say, the recent Marvel movies.

Anyway... that's my input.

Hopefully DC has just had a bumpy start in regard to getting this cinematic multiverse off the ground. I hope success for them, but I want it to be earned success. Make me a superhero fan by making your stories poignant and meaningful! Make them special! Set yourself apart from the rest of the genre!
I agree. DC needs to try a different storytelling tact from Marvel, and Nolans Batmans were the perfect formula, a little less fantastic, and alot more realistic.
Like I said in the Post Comment, Daredevil is exactly what youre looking for.

You know what movie Id like to see? Alan Moores Swamp Thing. THAT stuff could be the best horror since The Exorcist.

Exactly... Marvel is for the kids... DC is for the grown ups. Seems the movie studios are using that.
Nolan's Batverse was a start, Man Of Steel followed on from that with Nolan as producer.
BvS had Batpants smashing heads together they way Batpants should...

DC and Marvel are two totally different things, and the studios are running with it.
Marvel is more colourful, humorous even, and had primary colurs of red, yellow and green.
DC, well, look at Aquaman now. He's like an even moodier Bruce Wayne, and has super-powers to boot and is darker as well.
DC seems to be going against type with some characters, namely Superman, Aquaman and Flash... the rest are how we imagined, just way way way tougher.

I'm a DC fan... and I'm a DC movie fan too. I hated the ideas behind Superman to start with, but, well, DC has convinced me.

I see these Marvel films like a selection of kitchen knives. Clean, precise, each one has a purpose.

DC films, looking at Aquaman and Suicide Squad, are mainly the jaggeddy edge of Rambo's Survival Knife.
Complete with a sharp edge, some mud and rust, and a compass in the handle as an extra of course, but mainly that jaggy edge bit.

I see these Marvel films like a selection of kitchen knives. Clean, precise, each one has a purpose.

DC films, looking at Aquaman and Suicide Squad, are mainly the jaggeddy edge of Rambo's Survival Knife.
Complete with a sharp edge, some mud and rust, and a compass in the handle as an extra of course, but mainly that jaggy edge bit.
Aquaman couldnt look more different than the comic version, Im curious how good his film will be because honestly, in comics, Aquaman was a flat character.

I like the Marvel movies, but if Im to like the DC movies they have to stay away from the Marvel movie formula or it looks like a expensive ripoff. Marvel has RDJ, DC needs another Christian Bale type. The more the better as if it can come off as the more "adult" superhero film genre to turn to, then it becomes the cooler of the two.

Comparatively, Zack Snyder isnt as good a storyteller as Joss Whedon. If he has a good story and great actors, Ben Affleck is no RDJ, then theyll still be able to hang, quality wise. The movies will make a filthy amount of money regardless.

Maybe Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot will be the new lynchpin for the series.
She was always a decent character, and Gadot has proven she has the chops for the role. Heh! Girl Chops. Awesome.

Cavill is a decent Superpants, and Affleck was great as Batpants. I like the disparate actors, in what is intended to be disparate roles.
Like Buzz Lightyear Vs Woody. So different, so similar, both with actors and characters.

Welcome to the human race...
To be fair, there's this behind-the-scenes article where one producer's take-away from the negative reception to BvS is that "people don't like seeing their heroes get deconstructed" as if it wasn't just a question of BvS simply being a poor deconstruction. You'd think the guy who turned Watchmen into a slo-mo slug-fest wouldn't give that much of a damn about deconstructing superheroes and yet here we are.

Like, there's room for nuance and all but the depth shown in the DCCU (DCU?) films so far only goes so far in making the films work and is almost at the point of retroactively tainting the serious approach taken in a film like The Dark Knight.

Looks like this Justice League is going to go the New 52 route instead of the original Justice League launch. Hence no Martian Manhunter, no Starro, and Cyborg is in. I read the new 52 run of Justice League and it was lame. Then again so was most of the new 52 I read, save for the first 20 or so issues of Batman. But even that had me loose interest.

Still not excited about the majority of the DC movies. I just hope I enjoy Suicide Squad, because that actually looks really good.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Cyborg looked ... umm ... trying to stay positive ... not optimal.

Cyborg looked ... umm ... trying to stay positive ... not optimal.
Noticed that too.
Looked like a bad Halloween costume.
You'd think with modern effects they'd go all out with a character like that.
Instead, he looks like he belongs with this crew...

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Batman carried a gun, Superman was supposed to be a ruthless killer, Daredevil wore a yellow suit and so on... Comics change, multiple Flashes and Green Lanterns might point that out. You can't say Cyborg is not founding member of Justice League when he is written as one.