Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
Dallas Buyers Club 9/10

Plot: In 1985 Dallas, electrician and hustler Ron Woodroof works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medication they need after he is diagnosed with the disease.

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
Mulholland Dr. 8/10

Plot:After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality.

Wake me when he makes his Pain & Gain
Oh my God that's possibly his worst film... I'm sure Zombie already made that. It's probably H2.
That may be the reason why we split on this movie.

That movie offended me like no other really have. Not just because it was rude and cruel, especially considering it's a true story. It also glorified violence and torture and I just didn't find that funny at all. I guess I could have enjoyed it as sort of an exercise in bad taste, but I thought the movie was so bad and poorly made that everything felt even more offensive...

To some extent though, I can agree about the fact that his movies never downright suck, but are just extremely mediocre or whatever, but it seems like, with time, he has turned more into straight up awfulness... at least for me. Transformers 4 was atrocious.
The reason why I laughed was I thought you were being sarcastic. You just don't strike me as a type a fella who'd like it. Isn't it about body building or something (I didn'e see it)?

I thought the first Transformers movie was pretty good. Hell, it used to be in my top 100.
I have a question, if anyone would care to answer. Remember that scene when John rips his shirt and a S sign is beneath it? What the hell was that?

The reason why I laughed was I thought you were being sarcastic. You just don't strike me as a type a fella who'd like it. Isn't it about body building or something (I didn'e see it)?
I kind of was but I did like it, far from loved it. It is a crime film though and has lots of humor. Both of those things are in my wheelhouse.

Welcome to the human race...

You can say what you want about these movies, but there is just something about them. And for the haters, that skydive/mountainside 30-40 minute action sequence tho.

And while Fast Five was at times serious but mostly fun, and while Fast Six took it a little too serious, I love how Seven seems to finally embrace the campy/cheesy soap opera that it really wants to be. I hope 8 continues this path...
Yeah, I mean I already gave the last couple of Mission: Impossible movies a
each so I'm starting to think that I might extend these movies the same courtesy (especially since they're both franchises that have gotten over their rough patches and settled into some solid formulas).

Also...

I Killed My Mother -

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 10/10 - I know I reviewed this before, but I figured I'd bring it up again, since I brought up Fury Road a couple weeks ago.

This movie still remains my favorite of 2015 with a stellar cast doing fantastic acting, fantastic dialogue, an action-packed story (though admittedly not entirely original), along with fantastic VFX, sound, and the ever-awesome John Williams providing the music! Seriously, I can't find a reason to dislike this movie in any way, shape, or form. If you thought there was a better film from 2015, that is perfectly fine, but for me, The Force Awakens is it! (Though I think it's only 3rd in its own series, with The Empire Strikes Back being #2 and A New Hope being #1!)

I wish I'd seen the first movie below before I turned in my films of the 50's list, but such is life:

Paths of Glory (1957)

Excellent film that has been called an anti-war movie, but I felt more like it was an anti-lust for power movie. The two generals in the movie (played awesomely by George Macready and Adolphe Menjou) set in motion a series of tragic events when one, Menjou, wants a German hill taken by his French troops just because he wants it and it will look good for all concerned, especially him. He talks Macready into it, and things go downhill from there. The leading officer in the field is Colonel Dax, played by an excellent Kirk Douglas. When, for varying reasons, the hill is not taken, Macready wants men in Douglas' troops brought up on charges of cowardice, punishable by death. And the men chosen from each squad are picked at the discretion of their squad leaders, making it totally unjust. Thus begins a trial in which Dax must defend his men against the charges.

All of the players are great, especially the three leads already mentioned. But among the three men standing trial, Timothy Carey is especially great. A must-see film directed by the great Stanley Kubrick. Loved it.

The Lady Eve (1941)

A Preston Sturges classic about a bumbling but amiable heir to a fortune (Henry Fonda) who is set up as a mark by a trio of card sharks, including Barbara Stanwyck and Charles Coburn. Trouble occurs when Stanwyck falls for Fonda and he for her. Several twists keep things fun throughout the movie. Stanwyck is very sexy in this one and Fonda is great fun as the confused leading man. Great entry in the Sturges canon.

Deathgasm (2015)

A heavy metal New Zealand teenager opens up the gates of hell with his guitar.

Brodie is a shy, picked-on metalhead who finds himself chainsawing and eviscerating nasty demons like a pro. Set your expectations-meter on low, and you'll have a fun time with this one. The demons are particularly gross, evil and ugly, with broken teeth and blood dripping from every orifice. They do get theirs, fortunately, whether it's from a chainsaw, axe, dildo, electric drill, or grinder.

Very tongue-in-cheek, both jokewise and gorewise, and pretty funny.
It's a fun change from the normal stuff when you're in the mood.

3.75 split demon-heads out of 5
I need to see this.

Welcome to the human race...
I need to see this.
Here is my review. I'm pretty split on it because, while I do appreciate it being a throwback to old-school gore-fests in the spirit of Raimi or Jackson, it's effectively balanced out by the weakness of the whole metalhead/outcast humour that was already old in Detroit Rock City.

Last movie I saw...

Tango & Cash -

(Note to self: get this as an avatar)

Unregistered User

Hiroshima mon amour (1959)

Need a bit more time or a rewatch to digest this, at times I found it frustratingly slow and the other it was hugely impressive, especially the first half hour or so. One things for sure, its one of the most well made movies Ive watched in a while.

with room for improvement.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Before We Go

Chris Evans gives us his directorial debut in a small film about two people who spend one night together in NYC. Nick, played by Evans himself, is a musician and plays his trumpet at Grand Central Station when the beautiful, but clearly distraught Brook, played by Alice Eve, comes running through to catch the last train. She misses it. She also accidentally broke her phone. When he decides to chat her up he finds out her purse was stolen earlier and she must, absolutely must, get home tonight. Throughout the night these two discover secrets about each other, fears, goals and everything else that would make someone potentially fall in love, but do they?

I'll admit something here that might get my movie viewing card revoked. I've never seen any of the "Before Trilogy" films and even I know that this film borrows heavily from them. I don't know if I would have enjoyed this more or less, but for the most part, this film is genuine.

Most of the film works based on the charms of the two leads. Evans has always had that charm to him and he puts it to full effect here. The relationship between the two only has hints of romance. Evans, smartly, side steps the obvious romantic choices for something more real. I appreciated that. His directorial effort is nothing to shake a stick at. The script doesn't call for anything fancy, so it comes off as too easy a choice for him to start with. Shoot two good-looking people roaming around NYC, not too hard.

The script tries to find ways to make it impossible for these two to separate. Broken phones, no money, broken noses. The shortcomings here are few, but noticeable. I feel that fans of the Before films will either despise this film for being too familiar, or appreciate it as a "little-brother" of sorts.

Suspect's Reviews

The Nice Guys (Shane Black, 2016)

Saw this a while ago but can't remember if I ever posted about it: Once it gets into its rhythm, the film is extremely funny and entertaining, with solid performances all round. Angouri Rice is a delight as Ryan Gosling's daughter, but there's no doubt that Ryan Gosling is the overall star of the show, giving a fantastic comedy performance. My problems with the film fall mainly with its final act, before then the plot - although traditionally difficult to follow - still worked and move the film along nicely, but following a significant moment it shifts to a gun happy action film.

Zootopia (Byron Howard & Rich Moore, 2016)

Another film that took a while to get going, but one that I found myself enjoying a lot once its detective story started properly. I have heard a lot about its positive message, and its definitely a positive for the film and makes it extra relevant in today's climate. In terms of animation and originality, I don't feel like the film does anything particularly great, but it's good in almost all elements.

Warlock (1959)

+

From the top 100 westerns list, this movie benefits from a terrific cast headlined by Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, and Anthony Quinn. It's an interesting story with how it focuses on different relationships, but I could have loved it if there were a little more action.

10/10.. I like the Hotel Transylvenia Movie.. it is fun to watch

I think The Devil's Rejects might qualify.
You're right both are awesome! especially The Devil's Rejects which is one amazing and entertaining flick.

Career Opportunities (1991)

John Hughes is a hero, nice work.

A treat for everyone who isn't in the slime thread - my 2022 Oscar pick for best actor is Frank Whaley.

I have to return some videotapes...
Serendipity (2001) -
+

Good film, but in these romantic comedies you always know the ending, so you kind of have to take it at face value. Heartwarming.