Of your top 10 movies, choose one that can be remade

Tools    

I've always viewed Battle Royale as a modern parable of sorts. I think it's a persuasive exploration into how people behave in extreme, life or death situations,
That sounds like a lot of movies.

Welcome to the human race...
That sounds like a lot of movies.
Aside from all the stuff in the rest of that very large paragraph, of course.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't want any to be remade, but if I had to pick....

A Clockwork Orange

Suspect's Reviews

I really don't want to see any of mine remade either, though Mary Poppins has been adapted for the Broadway stage, but if I had to pick one, I think if it's properly cast, a remake of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? could be a viable project.

From my list, I could see an updated version of Little Shop of Horrors. Since it in itself is an interpretation of the play, it lends itself for a potential re-interpretation.
Yeah, but it's also a remake of the movie, too. And I'll take the original any day over the musical version.

Of mine, I know Rear Window has been remade as Disturbia and I believe as a TV movie with Christopher Reeves, the title of which I'm not sure of. My very favorite movie Unforgiven was recently remade as a Japanese movie starring Ken Watanabe, and I do want to see it, but I haven't yet.

Hmm... There would be no point in trying to remake LOTR since it's only been 15 years since the first one came out. Also if it tried to copy The Hobbit's CGI-overload look then it would not be a pretty sight.

Fight Club and Office Space I think were fantastic for their time and would be completely ruined if set in today's age.

Silent Hill is only a decade old, and wasn't even that popular or well-received. So yeah no point in remaking that one.

No way should Full Metal Jacket be remade, no one could ever replicate R Lee Ermey's performance in that one.

The Killer is perfect as is and would be ruined by CG blood-effects.

I heard somewhere before that there were talks about re-doing Reservoirs Dogs with an all black cast. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that, no way would they let a bunch of white guys drop the N word like they did in '92 in today's world.

With that said, I would pick An American Werewolf in London to be remade out of my top 10. In fact I think they were planning on remaking it a few years back but those plans got scraped. I still think there aren't enough good werewolf movies out there and it would have the potential to be good.

I have 44 movies rated 10, which means there's very little that could be done better. Of 9 rated movies that would be in my top 70, I'd pick the following two to be remade:

"The Island" (2005) could be made less of an action movie and more of a mystery or in more risky move a horror type of flick. Also, I thought second half and the ending were average, so that could easily be fixed in a remake. The difficulty for a remake would be to find charismatic lead actors to replace Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson.

"Meet Joe Black" (1998) as fantasy has lots of room to be improved, because I appreciate the concept of death coming alive and man having to face his final hours, everything else in the movie is done professionally but I wouldn't say entirely spectacularly. It could go in so many directions, for example adding more torment for characters, but the risk with that would be to lose coldness of the presence of death.

Welcome to the human race...
"The Island" (2005) could be made less of an action movie and more of a mystery or in more risky move a horror type of flick. Also, I thought second half and the ending were average, so that could easily be fixed in a remake. The difficulty for a remake would be to find charismatic lead actors to replace Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson.
There's always this:

Bit of a random one, I know it's only 12 years old now. But 50 Firsts Dates. I feel like a more serious remake could work, still keep it a comedy but go deeper into the real emotions you would face in a situation like it.

I have to return some videotapes...
To answer the question, none of them from my top ten. I'm not someone dead set against remakes but i just don't think any of mine would work and they are certainly not needed. If there hadn't been The Exocist sequels/prequels and other exorcism movies i would have probably have said that. None of them are close though IMO, although i do really love The Exorcist III but that is quite a bit different.
Out of your top 10 I can definitely see them remaking Lawrence of Arabia. Didn't hear about the mini-series, any good?

Out of my Top 10 I would really hate to see anything remade, but if they had to, then I would say Possessed (1947) a film I doubt many have seen here and that's why it would be a likely candidate for a remake.

They've already remade 3 of my top 10
The Music Man
Of Human Bondage
Mildred Pierce

And all were pale compared to the original.

From my list, I could see an updated version of Little Shop of Horrors. Since it in itself is an interpretation of the play, it lends itself for a potential re-interpretation.

I doubt they'd better the 1980s movie tbh.
Along with Jurassic Park's CGI, the Animatronics in Little Shop is by far the best I've ever seen, and probably ever will.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The Music Man
Of Human Bondage
Mildred Pierce

I wouldn't call them "remakes". I never do when they were originally something else to begin with (a Broadway musical and novels). So part of me really doesn't have a problem with a new adaptation of a story. But it becomes an issue for me when they, as you say, pale in comparison to the original versions that were filmed. You would think that if they were going to make a new version, then they'd put a little effort into trying to make them better, but that is rarely the case.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Out of my Top 10 I would really hate to see anything remade, but if they had to, then I would say Possessed (1947) a film I doubt many have seen here and that's why it would be a likely candidate for a remake.

The Music Man
Of Human Bondage
Mildred Pierce

I expected more from The Music Man remake with Matthew Broderick, but it was very underwhelming for me. I think it may be impossible to improve on the Robert Preston version just because he was so perfect for that role that I doubt anyone can top him.

I expected more from The Music Man remake with Matthew Broderick, but it was very underwhelming for me. I think it may be impossible to improve on the Robert Preston version just because he was so perfect for that role that I doubt anyone can top him.
I have to agree with you regarding Robert Preston. I really like Matthew Broderick, but he just wasn't right for that role. He seemed so different than the other one (which was probably why they cast him), but it just didn't work. I really didn't like anything about that version, to be honest. And I've never seen a live production of it. If I ever would, I wonder if I would be sitting there thinking the same thing while watching that person play Harold Hill. I just think Robert Preston ruined it for me because he was too perfect in that role.

I have to agree with you regarding Robert Preston. I really like Matthew Broderick, but he just wasn't right for that role. He seemed so different than the other one (which was probably why they cast him), but it just didn't work. I really didn't like anything about that version, to be honest. And I've never seen a live production of it. If I ever would, I wonder if I would be sitting there thinking the same thing while watching that person play Harold Hill. I just think Robert Preston ruined it for me because he was too perfect in that role.

I saw Hugh Jackman on a talk show a while back, and he said that he wants to star in a remake of The Music Man. While I don't think even he could live up to Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill, he's probably the only person that I'd like to see try.

I saw Hugh Jackman on a talk show a while back, and he said that he wants to star in a remake of The Music Man. While I don't think even he could live up to Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill, he's probably the only person that I'd like to see try.
Oh, really? So he is into the idea of it? A long time ago I heard that they (whoever the producers were going to be ) were thinking about casting him (I, too, thought he would be an OK choice - I think he could do a pretty good job as Harold Hill). But I didn't know if that was a "dream" casting choice, or if they were really considering him. I don't remember how long ago that was. I also don't know if it was the discussion about it being filmed for NBC (like those other musicals were). I figured, that if he did it, he would be more apt to do it if they made it as a feature film. But who knows?

Oh, really? So he is into the idea of it? A long time ago I heard that they (whoever the producers were going to be ) were thinking about casting him (I, too, thought he would be an OK choice - I think he could do a pretty good job as Harold Hill). But I didn't know if that was a "dream" casting choice, or if they were really considering him. I don't remember how long ago that was. I also don't know if it was the discussion about it being filmed for NBC (like those other musicals were). I figured, that if he did it, he would be more apt to do it if they made it as a feature film. But who knows?

Apparently he loves the classic musicals, and he wants to bring them back. He's currently working on a remake of the musical "Barnum". I can't wait to see it. I saw Jim Dale as Barnum on Broadway, and I have the DVD of Michael Crawford as Barnum from London, and they were both fantastic, so he has big shoes to fill there too. But from what I've seen of him in the London production of "Oklahoma!" and his Tony Award performances, I have complete confidence in him, and I think he will do an amazing job as Barnum.

Apparently he loves the classic musicals, and he wants to bring them back. He's currently working on a remake of the musical "Barnum". I can't wait to see it. I saw Jim Dale as Barnum on Broadway, and I have the DVD of Michael Crawford as Barnum from London, and they were both fantastic, so he has big shoes to fill there too. But from what I've seen of him in the London production of "Oklahoma!" and his Tony Award performances, I have complete confidence in him, and I think he will do an amazing job as Barnum.
I just know the music from the show. I've yet to even see the filmed version with Michael Crawford. But when you know of the show, and you know the kind of character that he will be playing, he will be good in it. I LOVED him as the Tony host. I always wish they say it will be him hosting again. He has by far been my favorite. I think that is because he seems to have old-time entertainer/song-and-dance man qualities about him.