Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The only difference is Edgar Wright has said himself it's a trilogy.
I understand that, but that doesn't make it the same as a literal trilogy. It's a thematic trilogy similar to Terry Gilliam's dream trilogy of Time Bandits, Brazil, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen or John Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy of The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness (which are also referred to as trilogies by their respective directors but still have distinctly separate universes and characters).

Cr*p! I know some people who hate this movie before its cinema release!

Could be brilliant, but it could also as easily be just what you don't want it to be - a worse version of the original. How is it possible to top Bill Murray? Well, Melissa McCarthy would be the one with a chance.

Could be brilliant, but it could also as easily be just what you don't want it to be - a worse version of the original. How is it possible to top Bill Murray? Well, Melissa McCarthy would be the one with a chance.
Nah, I think if anyone will top Bill Murray it'll be Kate McKinnon.

Most of the reviews signal that the film, while having a good cast, is too close to the original. With the addition of more slapstick and cartoonish ghosts, it looks like Paul Feig has remade Ghostbusters 2.

I kinda liked it in a bad way. Missy Elliott's part was the best. It's nothing phenomenal, but it's like when Bobby Brown did his own stuff for the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack. A cheesy remake. Bobby Brown's songs were better, though.

Honestly, I'm just surprised that they didn't get an actual all-female band to do the cover. Sleater-Kinney could have worked wonders with this but I guess they're too obscure compared to Fall Out Boy. As for the song itself, eh, I didn't mind it. Has shades of Led Zeppelin's version of "When the Levee Breaks", which is a plus.

Honestly, I'm just surprised that they didn't get an actual all-female band to do the cover. Sleater-Kinney could have worked wonders with this but I guess they're too obscure compared to Fall Out Boy. As for the song itself, eh, I didn't mind it. Has shades of Led Zeppelin's version of "When the Levee Breaks", which is a plus.
They should have got Kylie Minogue to do a cover with Justin Timberlake offering backing vocals.

They did have to make a song that is their own but yeah that just doesn't capture the ridiculous, cheesy fun of Ghostbusters. I'd be surprised if the original one isn't in the movie somewhere as it is very iconic, people who haven't seen the movie know the song. Seems to be getting fairly good reviews so far.

In fairness, Fall Out Boy is fairly cheesy as far as modern-day acts go, though they would not have been my first pick for this.

I don't even care how this turns out. If it's a fantastic movie, great. The Independence Day sequel was horrible -- if that can be ruined, I don't care if this Ghostbusters thing is, too.