Movie Tab

Tools    

Young Guns (1988)
Origin: -- USA --
Genre: -- Western --
Director: -- Christopher Cain--
My Rating: -- (out of 5)

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
This has been an especially nice 24 hours of film.

Kill Bill Vol. 2-(1st time) Every bit as wonderful as the first half (which was my pick for best film of last year), and in many ways better. Volume 1 had the action, Volume 2 had the dialogue. There are so many wonderful set pieces in the completed Kill Bill that it's quite easy to take them for granted. Its a brilliant film. Quentin Tarantino hasn't made a movie yet that isn't a masterpiece.

**** out of ****

Princess Mononoke-(1st time) Great movie with some of the most beautiful animation EVER.

**** out of ****

To sum it up quickly, The complete 2 volume Kill Bill=Greatest movie ever, and you should rent Princess Mononoke.

EDIT:

Hellboy-(2nd time) Still one of my favorite movies. This is SO much fun! There's such a detail to the visuals...I could watch this everyday and see something new. On top of that, it's a beautiful little moral parable on two fronts. Truly a great movie. How anyone could not at least enjoy it is beyond me...well...to each his own. I love this movie beyond words. Can't wait till video...I'll probably catch it a few more times before it hits!

The Street Fighter-(1st time) Before we go any further, I should note that this isn't the 1994 Van Damme movie, but the 1974 Sonny Chiba martial arts cult classic. Sonny Chiba is amazing in this. One of the greatest villains ever, and...well...it's a lot of fun. Great action.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington-(1st and 2nd time) A hands-down classic movie. Great throughout, and brought me to tears twice. Check it out.

Versus-(1st time) Great, wild and zany surrealist/zombie/samurai/yakuza action!

These movies are wonderful. If you aren't narrow in your taste in film, you should find something to enjoy. Great movies, all.

Be sure to catch Hellboy and Kill Bill while they're in theaters! Modern classics!

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Was this any good?
To be honest, I think that all of Woody Allen's films are good in some way. Sure, it's not one of his best and it's pretty damned predictable, but it's also nicely self-contained and a lot of fun to watch.

I think Allen's films can really only be compared to, well, themselves. They're basically their own genre. So, to be frank, I enjoyed it. It wasn't bad.

Meanwhile:

Hollywood Ending (d. Woody Allen, 2002)
The Silence (d. Ingmar Bergman, 1963)

Have you seen The Purple Rose of Cairo yet?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe

The Street Fighter-(1st time) Before we go any further, I should note that this isn't the 1994 Van Damme movie, but the 1974 Sonny Chiba martial arts cult classic. Sonny Chiba is amazing in this. One of the greatest villains ever, and...well...it's a lot of fun. Great action.

Versus-(1st time) Great, wild and zany surrealist/zombie/samurai/yakuza action!

These movies are wonderful. If you aren't narrow in your taste in film, you should find something to enjoy. Great movies, all.

Be sure to catch Hellboy and Kill Bill while they're in theaters! Modern classics!
Ah, both (Versus and The Street Fighter) are great movies.

I still haven't seen Hellboy though.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
The Purple Rose of Cairo (d. Woody Allen, 1985)
Heh. I assume you saw my question. Did you like it?

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I assume you saw my question. Did you like it?
I actually hadn't seen your question. It just happened to be next on my list.

As for liking it...well, not too much [at least, not as much as I expected]. It was nice and it had its moments [for example, I loved all the scenes where the characters were stranded on the screen], but ultimately it never really took off for me. I don't particularly like it when Allen dabbles in the "magical" [with the exception to the rule being Shadows and Fog]. The Purple Rose of Cairo, for me, suffered from the same problems as his New York Stories contribution, Oedipus Wrecks.

That said, I thought Jeff Daniels and Danny Aiello gave wonderful performances, but Mia Farrow felt flat to me [to be honest, she rarely doesn't].

Expect a long and detailed list [in order of preference, of course] in a few weeks time when I've seen all the Allen available to me. I'm leaving Uni on Thursday for the holidays, meaning I probably won't get through the nine or so features that I'm still yet to see.

Meanwhile:

Stardust Memories (d. Woody Allen, 1980)

Do you know my poetry?
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - ****

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Written by: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, and Daryl Hannah
Released: 2004
Rated: R

My Critique: Kill Bill Vol. 2 was just a very excellent film. Quentin Tarantino has made a great, great film here. Michael Madsen was awesome as Budd, he was just so great, I just loved the Budd character, he played it so perfectly. David Carradine's performance as Bill was terrific, he was really one of the main reasons the film was so great. Uma Thurman of course is The Bride, which is a great, great character, and she plays the role so perfectly. Someone we didn't see much in Vol. 1 that we see alot of in Vol. 2 was Daryl Hannah, and I have to say her scene with The Bride was just fantastic. Tarantino's dialogue here in this film was great as it always is in his films. Tarantino has made a brilliant movie, and so far this year, it's my favorite film.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Tarantino's dialogue here . . . was great as it always is in his films.
Not in Kill Bill Vol. 1, it's not...

Not in Kill Bill Vol. 1, it's not...
I have to agree, it was absolutely awful in Vol 1, Vol 2 isnt released here in the UK, so I cant comment as of yet.

Bananas (d. Woody Allen, 1971)
What'd you think of it? It's one of my favorite Woody Allen movies.

Originally Posted by Philmster
I have to agree, it was absolutely awful in Vol 1, Vol 2 isnt released here in the UK, so I cant comment as of yet.
Yes, I agree but I think you'll at least be a little more pleased with Vol. 2.... I know I was.

Originally Posted by Garrett
What'd you think of it? It's one of my favorite Woody Allen movies.
It's one of mine too. My nineteenth.

It's one of mine too. My nineteenth.

So sayeth Bullet Tooth Tony.

Do you know my poetry?
Ed Wood - ****

Directed by: Tim Burton
Written by: Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski
Starring: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, and Sarah Jessica Parker
Released: 1994
Rated: R

My Critique: This movie is definately Tim Burton's best film, his masterpiece. It's one of my favorite biography films, and I think Johnny Depp makes his best performance of his career here playing Edward D. Wood, Jr. Martin Landau was a terrific supporting actor, he played the character of Lugosi perfectly.

Put me in your pocket...
Midnight (1939) ~ I LOVED this screwball romantic comedy as much as It Happened One Night. Wonderful story with great writing (Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett). Claudette Colbert is adorable...she meshed so well with John Barrymore and Don Ameche.

Hold Back the Dawn (1941) ~ I really enjoyed this romance. Great cast....Charles Boyer, Olivia de Havilland and Paulette Goddard. They are all perfect in their roles. Also written by Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett.

Blue (Trois couleurs: Bleu) (1993) ~ I love Juliette Binoche...and it was very well done. However, with this type of storyline, I expected to feel more emotion in this. As far as a woman dealing with grief...Truely Madly Deeply was much more touching. I'm glad I saw it though.

Boat Trip
Gangster No.1
The 51st State

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Philmster
I have to agree, it was absolutely awful in Vol 1
I disagree completely. There's some classic stuff in the movie. "Do you find me sadistic?" Pretty much any of Sonny Chiba's lines...

I feel you've misunderstood it. Is every action movie script terribile? That's what this movie was intended to be. A revenge/kung-fu/western actioner. Part one isn't your 'pure beautiful dialogue in a crime movie' like his first three films. It's a pure action script with some nice bits and comic lines thrown in. I loved it.

I'll concede that it's not his best work script-wise, but it's still great and/or wonderful. In any event, saying its absolutely awful seems sort of silly, even without considering everything it was released against.