Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Music Room (1958)

This was my 6th movie from the great Indian director Satyajit Ray, and it turned out to be my least favorite so far. I love how his films make me feel like I'm getting a little taste of a different culture, and that was no different with this movie. The ending was potent, but I was struggling to maintain interest for most of the runtime.
Odd, seems like a favorite from the director. Probably watching this tomorrow myself, have had the Criterion for ages

marmaduke 2010 i recommend it

Stephanie Daley (2006)

This movie I bought while browsing a video store's sale section. It caught my eye as a movie that could be decent, and it turned out to be enjoyable. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it does have a pretty compelling story and a sympathetic lead. I was emotionally invested, although some of the acting wasn't great and the cinematography was pretty horrible at times. Tilda Swinton plays a significant role (I hate her characters hairstyle), and Jim Gaffigan has a small role. The story is about a teenage girl who gave birth in a bathroom stall, and uncovering the truth behind the incident. Did she murder her baby?

Welcome to the human race...
Quick Change -

Some great lines, but man does Randy Quaid drag this thing down hard.

Curse of the Demon (1957)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Everest

If you're looking to watch a tale about people surviving mother nature's harsh elements, do not look to this film. If you'd rather watch a film where ego and stupid decision end up killing a bunch of people, watch Everest. I still think that horror films are the better choice when watching people making stupid decisions and dying, but Everest is up there.

The film details the summit of Everest in 1996, where several people lost their lives. Jake Gyllenhaal and Jason Clarke play two mountaineers who take civilians up to the peak. Of those civilians, two of them are played by Josh Brolin, a rich Texan and John Hawks, an older man trying for his third time to finally reach the top. Along for the trek is a journalist recording the feat. An impressive cast, which is rounded out by Sam Worthington, Robin Wright, Emily Watson and Keira Knightley, Everest isn't short on talent.

I guess my problem is that the film fakes you into thinking this is a tale about survival, and for a few people it is, specifically Brolin who is left outside to die by a few men who have taken shelter. I guess this might be my own fault for not knowing the story beforehand, but seeing people literally give up and accept death is hard. It's even harder knowing that their bodies are still up there, in the world's biggest open grave, frozen for all time. It's disgusting to know that some people take the trek and pass these bodies, to take selfies with them. Scott Fischer's wife has mentioned her hatred for this and it's easy to see why.

While the film is impressive to look at, the lack of characterization makes connecting with these people a little hard. We get basic personalities to tell them apart and even then, it is extremely difficult to know who is who when they are climbing. I felt bad for the people back home who had to receive phone calls that their loved one isn't coming home, instead he's dead on a mountain and you'll never be able to bury the body. So why do this? Why risk your life to reach the top? The most common response, "because it's there". Good enough for some people. Being in the elite few who have reached the highest point on Earth is an accomplishment.

Everest isn't like Vertical Limit, people are not jumping around on the ice, performing impossible feats, it's grounded in realism. The image on the poster of the man holding on to a ladder for his life is in the film. It's probably the only time some kind of cinematic action takes place. The rest of the film revolves around them climbing up, slowly, then climbing down slowly. Don't expect action, or excitement, expect a depressing look at the people who don't make it back to the ground and those that do, are sometimes scarred for life, literally.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User

Play it Again, Sam (1972)

The funniest I've ever seen Woody Allen. Brilliant!!

Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Almost certainly making my 50's list. Such a great cast in what is probably my favourite courtroom drama, if you could call it that.

Last night ended up being a very late night but it was well worth it!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Bubba Ho-Tep

Funny-sad quirky horror/fantasy/comedy/drama type film. Which is right up my street. Could have been pacier, perhaps, but definitely a good film.

This film had some fun elements but there was nothing new, in the second half I kind of wanted to end. Everything seemed to be a rip off from other films, they don't try to hide it but does that make it any better, I think not.

2\5

Finished here. It's been fun.
La Ronde
+

The Last Wave

Elena and Her Men

The Golden Coach

Zootopia

This was one of my favorite movies in the past few years, I hated Frozen and thought Inside out was overrated. The only other two I can think of that I enjoyed was Big Hero 6 and Wreck-it-Ralph. I am an animal lover so this really pressed the right buttons for a animated movies for me. The characters were all likable and the movie quips they put into this were funny. The two main characters and their voice actors did a great job as well as the supporting voice actors. The only thing I will say is that I found it a tad predictable and I guessed the "bad guy" about half way through. There was of course the under lying tone of discrimination and stereotyping which I feel Disney have done a bit too frequently lately. I am not sure if I would want Disney to do a sequel of this movie as I love the characters but not sure how much more development they could do.

4/5 Stars

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)

This one is in a class by itself, shows its real genius, is one of those films that you either get or you don't... I am left a little cold

People Will Talk (1951)

-

This movie instantly won me over with the first character of the movie being played by the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz. I had never seen this actress in anything else, and despite her short lived screen time, I got a big kick out of it. I wasn't expecting much from this movie with the thought that it would be a corny romantic comedy. There's humor, and there's romance, but this ain't no rom-com. In fact, it gets fairly heavy at times for it's era. Cary Grant leads a splendid cast playing an unorthodox doctor, and there are two engaging storylines. Throw in some strong dialogue and this ended up being a big surprise. I think most members would like this.

Pride (2014)