Movie of the Month - June 2016: Always (1989)

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Movie of the Month:

Steven Spielberg's Always (1989)
Starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Brad Johnson and Audrey Hepburn

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096794/reference

I'm sorry this thread was started so late, but I only found out that it was my turn to post the Movie of the Month a few days ago, and I needed a few days to decide what movie to pick. I wanted to choose a movie from the 1950's because many of us are working on our Top 1950's Movies list for the upcoming MoFo countdown, but the more I looked at the list of my favorite 1950's movies, the harder it became to choose a movie. Unlike most of you, my favorite 1950's movies are mostly musicals and rom-coms, and I thought that it was a bad idea to chose a movie that most people would have no interest in seeing. So after a lot of thought, I decided to ditch my plan of choosing a 1950's movie, and I chose one of my favorite movies instead. (Just for the record, my 1950's pick probably would have been The Pajama Game (1957) if I thought enough people would have watched it.)

I picked the movie Always because I love the movie, but I rarely read anything about it here on MoFo. There seem to be a lot of Spielberg fans here, but for some reason, most people don't seem to even know that this movie exists. In fact, I think I've only read one review of it here, by JayDee, and he liked it. (You can read his review here, but you have to scroll down past his review of the movie 1941.)

Steven Spielberg is one of my favorite directors, and Richard Dreyfuss is one of my favorite actiors, so naturally, Always is one of my favorite movies. It's a remake of the 1943 movie A Guy Named Joe. It's a fantasy movie that is a romance, and a tear-jerker. It has some action, some comedy, some drama, and a lot of emotion. In my opinion, this is Steven Spielberg's most underrated movie.

As much as I love Always, I also have to admit that it's not a perfect movie, mostly due to the mistake of casting Brad Johnson as Ted, but the rest of the cast is perfect. The chemistry between Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfuss is wonderful, and John Goodman is terrific as well. Sadly, this was the last movie appearance of Audrey Hepburn, but it's a great final role for her.

I don't expect everyone to love this movie as much as I do, but I hope that some of you at least like this movie enough to be glad that you gave it a chance.

Always (1989) Trailer:

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Always-1989-MotM.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	25805  

Is that a good *lurk*, or a bad *lurk*?
What is a "good lurk"?

Not gonna guarantee that i'll watch this because i said i would with some of the others and didn't end up watching them, think i just forgot since the threads aren't bumped a lot. I will try though. Spielberg is a bit hit and miss for me, but the films i dislike of his are usually well made it just ends up something i don't enjoy. Interested in this one since as you said you rarely hear anything about it.

Great choice GBG, as Always. I've seen it before years ago and so I need a rewatch. I thought it was well rounded and like you say emotional. That might sound like a chick flick, but let me say that it has lots of well done action scenes so it's also aguy flick, or maybe better yet it's a everyone's flick...because Spielberg really packs in a lot of movie, into this!

I liked the drama and action of the two guys who are pilots who do aerial forest fire fighting and that's something we rarely see in movies, so it's a fascinating subject matter...and Holly Hunter is as cute as a button

If you guys have a hard time finding this, I'm sure if you PM gbgoodies, she can help you

Its not on netflix outside of america unfortunatly. but ill have a look around on youtube tomorrow,older movies are often posted full there.

havent seen it,but i like the cast! I`ll have to see if i can find it somewhere

I haven't looked for it online, but it shouldn't be a hard movie to find. According to Google, it's available to watch online on several sites.

Available on:
YouTube From $2.99
iTunes From $2.99
Amazon Video From $2.99
Vudu From $2.99
Google Play Movies & TV From $2.99

I think it's also available on Netflix.

Also, the DVD is available at Walmart and Target for under $10.

Not gonna guarantee that i'll watch this because i said i would with some of the others and didn't end up watching them, think i just forgot since the threads aren't bumped a lot. I will try though. Spielberg is a bit hit and miss for me, but the films i dislike of his are usually well made it just ends up something i don't enjoy. Interested in this one since as you said you rarely hear anything about it.

I hope you get a chance to watch this movie. For some reason, a lot of Spielberg fans haven't seen it.

Great choice GBG, as Always. I've seen it before years ago and so I need a rewatch. I thought it was well rounded and like you say emotional. That might sound like a chick flick, but let me say that it has lots of well done action scenes so it's also aguy flick, or maybe better yet it's a everyone's flick...because Spielberg really packs in a lot of movie, into this!

I liked the drama and action of the two guys who are pilots who do aerial forest fire fighting and that's something we rarely see in movies, so it's a fascinating subject matter...and Holly Hunter is as cute as a button

If you guys have a hard time finding this, I'm sure if you PM gbgoodies, she can help you

Even though it's an emotional movie, I don't consider this movie a "chick flick". The love story part of the movie is important, but it doesn't overshadow the rest of the movie.

And I agree about Holly Hunter being "as cute as a button" in this movie. I didn't even know who she was before I saw this movie, but she's so loveable in it.

On Netflix streaming
Thanks.

I've never seen it; love the cast, and I look forward to it
I'm glad you're looking forward to it. I tried to pick a movie that most people wouldn't want to avoid. (That's why I decided against choosing a musical.)

Awesome, that might get me to give it another chance for this.
I hope you watch it. I'd like to get more people involved in the Movie of the Month, so hopefully an underseen Spielberg movie will do just that.

I agree it's not a chick flick, it's well rounded. I think? this was Holly Hunter's big break out movie. And you say it's Audrey Hepburn's last movie? I didn't know that. She must have a smaller part, I don't recall her role, which is odd, because I always like Audrey in here movies.

I agree it's not a chick flick, it's well rounded. I think? this was Holly Hunter's big break out movie. And you say it's Audrey Hepburn's last movie? I didn't know that. She must have a smaller part, I don't recall her role, which is odd, because I always like Audrey in here movies.
Audrey Hepburn plays Hap, the angel who sends Pete (Richard Dreyfuss) back to Earth.

I requested the DVD from Netflix (I don't have there streaming service) but there was a 'short wait'...I guess people have seen this thread and requested it before me

I requested the DVD from Netflix (I don't have there streaming service) but there was a 'short wait'...I guess people have seen this thread and requested it before me

Hopefully you'll get to see the movie soon, but it's nice to know that enough people want to see this movie that the DVD isn't just sitting around collecting dust.