Rhys' Fabulous Viewing Diary of Fabulousness

→ in
Tools    

Considering I was dozing off while watching this, I get where you're coming from, even with missing some bits, you could still follow the narrative easily. It was average for a slasher, but definitely worth watching, and to hopefully watch the rest. :P (Because Jason Goes to Hell, and Freddy vs Jason are great films imo) Definitely got nothing on Freddy.

Friday The 13th was alright. I thought Part 2 was a bit better, the only other one i've seen is Jason Takes Manhattan which is one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Better off Dead... (1985)
Savage Steve Holland / United States

"
A teenager has to deal with his girlfriend dumping him among family crises, homicidal paper boys, and a rival skier."

Despite watching Better off Dead... for the first time only very recently, I still managed to enjoy it thoroughly upon my second watch. Great humor, clever and just all-round awesome.

-

Director Link / Film Link / Second Watch

The Breakdown  

Doghouse (2009)
Jake West / United Kingdom

"
A group of men head to a remote village to help one of their friends get over his divorce; when they get there, though, they discover that all the women have been infected with a virus that makes them man-hating cannibals."

I was not expecting very much from my viewing of Doghouse but I was not expecting the film to be quite as poor as it actually was.

The humor is pretty terrible throughout with exception of a handful of witty lines and visual gags.

The narrative was even worse.

-

Director Link / Film Link / First Watch

The Breakdown  

Your rating of Predator makes me sad. I didn't think much of it when I was younger, but I grew to appreciate it. It's one of Arnold's better performances, and the rest of the cast are actually pretty decent. It's really the atmosphere and the creativity behind the predator itself that makes it a credible movie. The camera work is also pretty good, and the music is excellent. There's much more to cinema than narrative.

Your rating of Predator makes me sad. I didn't think much of it when I was younger, but I grew to appreciate it. It's one of Arnold's better performances, and the rest of the cast are actually pretty decent. It's really the atmosphere and the creativity behind the predator itself that makes it a credible movie. The camera work is also pretty good, and the music is excellent. There's much more to cinema than narrative.
I know that cinema is much more than just narrative. I just didn't think much of the other elements in Predator either - except perhaps the cinematography. It just didn't do very much for me personally.

BASEketball (1998)
David Zucker / United States

"
Two childhood friends are pro athletes of a national sport called BASEketball, a hybrid of baseball and basketball, and must deal with a greedy businessman scheming against their team."

This is a pretty decent comedy film with memorable characters and a bunch of witty gags.

However I felt that the film started to drop off a little in the second half.

+

Director Link / Film Link / Second Watch

The Breakdown  

Zootropolis (2016)
Byron Howard, Rich Moore & Jared Bush / United States

"
In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a rookie bunny cop and a cynical con artist fox must work together to uncover a conspiracy."

An extremely well-animated film with a fantastic story, a great number of positive messages and excellent voice-acting. Well worth the watch!

+

Director Link [1] [2] [3] / Film Link / First Watch

The Breakdown  

Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies (2004)
Danny Leiner / United States, Canada and Germany

"
An Asian-American office worker and his Indian stoner friend embark on a quest to satisfy their desire for White Castle burgers."

I used to like this film a fair amount when I was younger but after watching it again, I have found just how bad the film actually is. Yes, it is definitely does have it's moments but overall it is pretty poor and just seems like one big advertisement for White Castle.

-

Director Link / Film Link / Fifth Watch Approx.

The Breakdown  

Dude, Where's My Car? (2000)
Danny Leiner / United States

"
Two potheads wake up after a night of partying and cannot remember where they parked their car. "

I remember watching this film a fair amount when I was younger too - I think I had the VHS. I decided to watch it after hearing a reference in Get The Munchies and only just realised now that the films share the same director. After watching it again though, I realized just how terrible the film actually is. Just very, very bad.

-

Director Link / Film Link / Fifth Watch Approx?

The Breakdown  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like the first two Harold & Kumar movies quite a bit, especially the second one. The third one was crappy.

There were three Harold & Kumar movies? I haven't seen any of them, but I only knew about the one where they go to White Castle.

Inglorious Basterds (2009)
Quentin Tarantino / United States

"
In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same."

I have finally watched all of the Tarantino films and this one was far better than I was expecting. I have heard a lot of ad things about this addition to Tarantino's body of work but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-

The Breakdown  

X-Men (2000)
Bryan Singer / United States

"
Two mutants come to a private academy for their kind whose resident superhero team must oppose a terrorist organization with similar powers."

Despite not being a fan of comic-book films, I still managed to enjoy watching X-Men. I plan to watch the others with my girlfriend before Apocalypse stops showing at the cinema. Hopefully I will enjoy the others.

+

The Breakdown  

Which X-Men are those? I'm not a fan, but they look very unlike the others.

Glad you liked IB, Rhys. Personally it bored me and I thought the script was very limp.

Master of My Domain
Brad Pitt plays such a good Mystique in that one! Mmmm.... Blue Brad that bastard.
If you look closely, you can see the blue outlines of his penis.