Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Do-Over

(Steven Brill)

"Dying was their first mistake."

The Do-Over is Adam Sandler's second film under his four film Netflix deal. The first was the horrendously bad The Ridiculous Six. How does his second go-round fare? A little better.

Charlie is a push over. He lives in the same old house, drives the same old car and works at the same old job. His current wife still has flings with her ex-husband and he does nothing about it, instead he supports her financially and takes care of her two brat kids. While at his high-school reunion, he runs into Max, his childhood best friend. Max encourages Charlie to live a little and invites him on his boat for some fun. That boat explodes. Charlie then wakes up to find out Max has faked their deaths to give Charlie a chance to "start-over". The only problem is the two identities they take over have some bad people after them.

Steven Brill's other two Sandler flicks are Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds. This might be the best one out of the three, but that bar isn't exactly high. I'm not sure if I'm going easy on this film or not, but it might be Sandler's best comedy film in years. A quick look at his IMDB resume shows his latest efforts: The Ridiculous Six, Pixels, The Cobbler, Blended, Grown Ups 2, That's My Boy, Jack & Jill...it's sad that The Do-Over is better than these movies. One of the reasons why has to be because this film actually has a STORY to it. A Sandler film with an actual PLOT??? WHAAAAAA???????

So, as one would guess, Max isn't telling Charlie everything and when those bad people come looking for them, Charlie is thrust into this violent life with no ways of protecting himself. He's a geek, a buffoon and has to grow a set in order to help out Max. This could potentially be the best thing for him. David Spade is Charlie, another Sandler friend from SNL. He isn't his usual crude and shred self, he actually shows some pathos here. As for Sandler, he still seems to be a bit on auto-pilot, but he's doing something different, which is something at least. His character obviously has ulterior motives and you can't really take anything he says at face value, so one of the more enjoyable moments is discovering what that is. So yes, I was a little surprised by how NOT TERRIBLE this film was. That's not saying it's good or anything...it's simply not terrible.

Sandler would never give up the opportunity to continue his lavish film location lifestyle as an actor. So like every other film he's been doing, they go to an exotic location here, living in a giant mansion with beautiful women and fast cars. No surprise there. One of those beautiful women is Paula Patton. Unfortunately I don't know if she is phoning it in more than Sandler or not because she is bland.

The Do-Over is an action comedy with some surprising story moments that will only be good to you if you expect the worst. I was expecting the worst. I think they should have gone with this film first and completely nix Ridiculous Six. That film is more gags, this one is more story. Story will always trump dumb gags in my opinion. The Do-Over isn't without it's own share of gags though either. Seeing Spade and Luis Guzmán in a threesome with awkward stares was kind of funny. The ball sweat dripping on someone's face later on was a bit gross...to say the least. Had this film come out first, it would have been reviewed worse in my opinion. It's only because of how UTTERLY TERRIBLE Ridiculous Six is, that this film seems to be getting a pass.

Look, even I'm doing it.

Suspect's Reviews

Now You See Me
(2013) -

Gave this a rewatch to try and decide whether or not to go see the sequel. Am still uncertain.

I actually rather like the start of this movie. Mark Ruffalo being an ass was fun to watch, as was the dynamic between the protagonists. The problem is that after the first act, this movie starts to quickly fall apart. I started to lose interest during their show in New Orleans and it never grabbed my attention again. Instead of ramping up, the tricks and plot twists just get less impressive as the film goes on.

My room mate keeps saying that this is the performance Jesse Eisenberg should've given in Batman v Superman, and I have to agree.

I have to return some videotapes...
X:Men Days of Future's Past (2014) -

One of the best comic book movies ever made. The scene between past and future Xavier is so damn good.

Othello (1952) -

There was always a strong chance of me liking this because i really love Othello. Having not seen any of Welles Shakespeare adaptations, or many Shekespeare adaptations at all i was curious how this would turn out and i think it worked very well. As with all of Welles i've seen it was very interesting visually some very interesting camera angles, i also liked the score. The only slight problem i had was a few scenes were out of sync, i thought this was the copy i was watching but i looked it up and found out this was actually a problem with the film.
There wasn't much of it though, so it didn't ruin it for me. There's nothing to say about the story, it was Othello so it was great, there were differences from the play and it was shorter but that didn't bother me as it made it individual, something different than just reading it.
Welles did a very good job as Othello , you can tell he has a great passion for Shakespeare whether that is for adapting one of his plays or playing one of his characters. I know Touch of Evil is Welles more well known 50's film, i hope some here give this a shot as well though as it was very good. This will be in the mix for my list.

when i first heard about this movie i was excited since im into war stuff. Watched the trailer, bit disappointed that it was about aliens. But still i watched it last night after procrastinating and it was horrible. Im not usually too critical of a movie but this one was a nightmare. Horrible acting, horrendous dialogue, and the michael bay style explosions was bad. Also, why Rihanna?

X-Men: Apocalypse

To me I like this movie better than Civil War, I think it was because I felt Civil War was more like Avengers 3 and I feel like anyone really hated each other. As for Apocalypse I just like how the story is progressing with the characters and introducing new/younger versions. Oscar Issac was good as Apocalypse and he bought a menacing character to the screen quite well. I am not really familiar with the comic story arc with the X-Men and Apocalypse so watching it felt like I was learning something. As always the cast worked well together and had a good chemistry, I felt like Olivia Munn's Psylocke was under used a bit and could have done something better. Overall I enjoyed this and the end credits scene got me excited because I know what could be coming next.

3.5/5 Stars

Also I was reading that due to some many Superhero movies smashing the box office there are a lot of other movies not making the money they should. Examples are Money Monsters and The Nice Guys which I have yet to see but look good.

X:Men Apocalypse (2016) -

Terrible use of actors, with the exception of Fassbender and horrible action sequences considering the 178 million dollar budget. Singer sh*t the bed on this one.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
X:Men Apocalypse (2016) -

Terrible use of actors, with the exception of Fassbender and horrible action sequences considering the 178 million dollar budget. Singer sh*t the bed on this one.

I had a feeling it was going to be a ******* trainwreck. Please Cole, at least tell me that Alexandra Shipp was a better Storm than Halle Berry.

I had a feeling it was going to be a ******* trainwreck. Please Cole, at least tell me that Alexandra Shipp was a better Storm than Halle Berry.
Haha I didn't think it was possible, but she's even worse

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Haha I didn't think it was possible, but she's even worse
/Cue eternal tears of disappointment.

She was one of my favourite characters in the 90's cartoon, but Halle Berry ruined her, just ruined her. At least Famke Janssen was an alright Jean Grey/Phoenix.

The Life of Oharu (1952)

I was very much looking forward to this based on the synopsis. The story did not disappoint; it is powerfully sad. The only downside is that I felt it's 2 1/2 hour runtime. I think it could have been a little more crisp. This was the third great movie I've seen from this director after Sansho the Bailiff and Ugetsu. However, none have quite reached the level of huge personal favorite. I still have a couple more of his movies from the 50's to watch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It fails to evoke emotion and ends up dull instead. There are a few chuckles in the movie (though a few groans as well), and it never falls to Batman v Superman or X-Men United levels of bad, but perhaps if it did I'd at least have a strong response the film instead of my current, neutral "well, that was certainly...a movie" reaction.
Do you mean Last Stand? X-Men United...as you put it, is the second film, which is considered one of the best in the series.

Do you mean Last Stand? X-Men United...as you put it, is the second film, which is considered one of the best in the series.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Will definitely fix that now.

I think I wrote X3 first, but then changed it to the subtitle for clarity. Unfortunately I got the names mixed up. I blame Apocalypse for being too long and making me tired haha.

X-Men First Class:

Yay, an X-Men movie with an actual director. Vaughn gives the movie style. It feels like a 1960's action movie. Fassbender gets to really act, and McAvoy is having so much fun with his role. The team dynamic works, the characters all have great chemistry, and the score and editing have a good vision.

X-Men Days of Future Past:

I like the first half of this movie quite a bit, but it gets so boring after the Paris fight scene. Lots of dull drama with mediocre acting and pseudo-philosophy not saying much. And the final fight can't come close to the future fight scene that opens the film or the prison break.

The Hitcher (1986) -
-

Good film. I'd probably give it about
if it wasn't for Rutger Hauer he completely made the film for me. He was really mean and menacing and i just loved how he kept appearing from nowhere, the first time it happens in the back of the car with the little girl i actually burst out laughing before i could take the situation in properly. Overall it was very entertaining and tense, felt Terminator-esque at times.

Secrets In Their Eyes (Remake) -

I really enjoyed the original and this was a decent enough remake, I wasn't expecting much but I feel like they changed up enough things to make it feel like you are watching a different movie instead of complete rehash. Ending wasn't nearly as powerful and this was far from being the epic the first one was but it was an ok Thriller.

Finest Hours -

Not much to say, very predictable and straightforward, but the cast is decent enough and things move along quick enough to keep you from getting bored. Not bad, but nothing special.

Risen -

Not a religious person by any means but this was actually a pretty interesting film with a good cast and some solid action scenes.

The original The Secret In Their Eyes was very good. Not really interested in the remake but it doesn't actually look bad.
It wasn't bad, they change up quite a bit but keep most of the major scenes/plot points the same. The cast is pretty good too, however I feel like Chiwetel Ejiofor was kind of too serious and his performance was a bit too cheesy.