Movie Tab II

Tools    

Why is there a question mark in Max's name when you quote him? I tried it and it doesn't come up with me.
Because his computer perhaps cannot read the ä letter.

Wasn't it Gatsby who posted those reviews with all kinds of symbols too? Your computer done f*cked up, Gats!

Sisters (Jason Moore, 2015)
-
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (Stuart Gilliard, 1993)

MXP: Most Xtreme Primate (Robert Vince, 2004)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That minus for Sisters should be very large. What's the fascination with dogs, turtles and chimps?

Master of My Domain
Because his computer perhaps cannot read the � letter.

Wasn't it Gatsby who posted those reviews with all kinds of symbols too? Your computer done f*cked up, Gats!
Eh, I think I fixed that problem.

Inherent Vice is the only PTA film I like.
Hard Eight and Magnolia are fantastic and I'm not the biggest PTA fan far from it.

That minus for Sisters should be very large. What's the fascination with dogs, turtles and chimps?
We put Sisters on in the background while we ate the dinner I made, drank a couple of beers and talked on and off about our respective days Friday. In that context, I laughed maybe more than I expected, but whether or not I laughed more than I should have? I wasn't really watching it with a critical eye.

I don't have a particular fascination right now with animal movies so much as with general thematic and iterative sets (I've also been checking out various Wuxia series, as you may have noticed). I like retrievers and get a kick out of crap, but really the weird bad kid-movie thing belongs more to Rebecca. I think it's of a piece with her Divine/John Waters obsession -- just a different, more saccharine kind of vulgarity.

Bellissima (1952)

The Tarnished Angels (1957)

Umberto D. (1952)

La grande guerra (1959)

Les liaisons dangereuses (1959)
Vadim's masterpiece, hidden gem!
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

A system of cells interlinked
Upstream Color

Carruth, 2013

Equal parts cryptic and mesmerizing, this film was right up my alley. A dreamy trip that involves a herd of pigs, strangers that become lovers, orchids, and a worm parasite. It's much cooler than it sounds.

The Gift

Edgerton, 2015

Effective thriller that builds tension throughout. Telegraphs its twist a bit too much, but is otherwise well done and played.

The Guest

Wingard, 2014

I have been enjoying Adam Wingard's (VHS, You're Next) stuff recently, and The Guest is no exception. An off-beat B-Movie with a fun lead played by Dan Stevens. Entertaining and fun.

Attack the Block

Cornish, 2011

This is my block, bruv. Trust! No way some Gorilla Wolf-headed MoFos are takin this block down, believe!

Unfriended

(Greaves, 2015)

This looked pretty terrible when we first fired it up, but in the end, I guess I sort of enjoyed the novelty of it. It definitely wore out its welcome by the end, but all the characters were totally believable as sort of mean-under-the-surface millennials whose online antics came back to haunt them. I wouldn't want to see a sequel, but for a one-off, it was actually kind of engaging in its own way.

The Dark Half

(Romero, 1993)

Hutton gives a couple of fun performances as Thad Beaumont and George Stark. Other than that, this is a somewhat dry affair. Typical Stephen King movie of the time, really.

Lucy

Besson, 2014

I had seen this before and was underwhelmed. Again I felt it was too short, too light, and had too abrupt of an ending. That said, it has several sections I enjoy thoroughly, especially the sequence during which Lucy sort of sifts through time and space. This could have been a lot better/deeper than it was, though.

I Am Legend

Lawrence, 2007

Lonely post-apocalyptic fare centered around Will Smith's struggle to survive in a mutant ravaged New York city while attempting to find a cure for a virus that has decimated most of the Earth's population. I have heard there are a couple of different endings to this one - not sure if the one I saw is the original or the alternate.

Cube

Natali, 1997

Low-budget, cerebral sci-fi about several people who wake up trapped in a massive, trap-filled structure from which they need to escape. A little rough acting here and there, but otherwise an engaging and interesting film. I have always liked this one.

The Woman in Black

Watkins, 2012

Run-of-the-mill haunted house horror starring Daniel Radcliff. Not much new here, and none of the stylistic flourishes of other recent films in the genre such as Del Toro's Crimson Peak. Some decent Gothic imagery, but wasn't very entertaining or thrilling.

Ghost World

Zwigoff, 2002

I have always adored this dark comedy. Thora Birch is great as Enid, a recent high-school graduate that befriends an awkward, older record collector after playing a cruel prank on him. A young Scarlett Johansson plays her best friend Rebecca, both girls trying to decide what to do next after leaving the safe confines of high-school. Just my type of comedy.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Man Who Makes the Difference (No Director Listed, 1968)

The Last Frontier (Anthony Mann, 1955)
+
Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future (Leonid Gayday, 1973)
+
Matinee (Joe Dante, 1993)

At the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis, B movie producer John Goodman releases his latest gimmick production.
The Moviemakers (Ronald Saland, 1968)

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (Norman Taurog, 1965)

Three in the Attic (Richard Wilson, 1968)

Bright Future (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2003)
-

Jellyfish are released into the Tokyo water supply while an almost indescribable relationship surrealistically plays out.
The People Under the Stairs (Wes Craven, 1991)
+
Let's Go Navy! (William Beaudine, 1951)

Matthew Barney: No Restraint (Alison Chernick, 2006)

They Fought for Their Country (Sergei Bondarchuk, 1975)

During WWII, the remnants of a battered Soviet Army regiment try to hold the area around the Don River against advancing German Panzer tank divisions before the Battle of Stalingrad.
Time Table (Mark Stevens, 1956)
+
Jim Norton: American Degenerate (Shannon Hartman, 2013)

Kidnapping, Caucasian Style (Leonid Gayday, 1967)
+
The Last Man on the Moon (Mark Craig, 2016)

Eugene Cernan, commander of Apollo 17, was the last man (out of only 12) who walked on the Moon on December 14, 1972, and it's a lonely feeling, especially considering the price in human lives.
Of Stars and Men (John Hubley, 1962)

Desert Nights (William Nigh, 1929)

The Shoes of the Fisherman (No Director Listed, 1968)
+ Doc Short
Bitter Moon (Roman Polanski, 1992)

On board an ocean liner, strait-laced Englishman Hugh Grant, travelling with his wife Kristin Scott Thomas, meets crippled American writer Peter Coyote who relates the kinky, sexy story involving his love-hate relationship with his French wife Emmanuelle Seigner.

Inherent Vice is the only PTA film I like.
I enjoyed Phoenix's performance well enough, as he clearly did a good job, but the flick was just a bunch of jive turkey, ya dig? Jump back!

Coherence

Byrkit, 2014

I loved this one! Made with almost no money, this mind-bender slowly wraps the viewer up in a puzzle-like plot. Highly recommended.

As Above, So Below

Dowdle, 2014

Gritty found-footage flick set in the Paris catacombs. I rate it too highly, I think, but I was in the mood for a trash flick, and this fit the bill. I am a sucker for these flicks, so this is probably only for fans of the genre.