Real-Time Movies

Tools    

This will probably be a real short list, but I watched High Noon (1952) again and realized this is a "real-time" movie.
It's an hour and 25 minutes long, and just a few minutes after the opening credits, the first clock seen on the wall reads about 10:37 (and of course the movie counts down to Noon).

Anyone know of any other movies that are in "real-time," where the time passing in the movie is virtually the same as the length of the movie itself?

Nick of Time with Johnny Depp was the inspiration for the TV show 24, also in real time.

also I believe "A night to remember" reenacted the sinking of the titanic in real time.

Cool. I forgot about these.
And I remember Nick of Time being pretty good. Never knew it was the inspiration for 24.

Question: I saw Memento a long time ago - was that a "real-time" movie?

i had one in mind since i read this thread and wrecked my brain trying to find out which it was.
only to come back and see its already named
but yeah phonebooth

There's an under-acknowledged Bruce Campbell flick called Running Time. It gives the illusion of being filmed in one shot, and despite the presence of Mr. Campbell, it's a pretty serious, non-cheesy crime thriller.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't think Die Hard counts as a film that takes place in real-time, at least not in the same sense as a film like High Noon.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Birdman yet.
That's probably because, despite the effort that goes into making the film seem like it's being done in a single continuous shot, the plot itself actually spans multiple days and thus isn't happening in real-time.

Anyway, my pick for a real-time film is Sebastian Schipp's Victoria, which is helped by the fact that it is actually filmed in a single two-hour take (though there are the occasional spots of slow-motion).

That's probably because, despite the effort that goes into making the film seem like it's being done in a single continuous shot, the plot itself actually spans multiple days and thus isn't happening in real-time.
Oh, I was mostly paying attention to everything other than what was being said/the plot, so I didn't even realize it took place over multiple days haha. I retract my previous statement.

never got past thefirst 5mins of birdman so i didnt know
Yeah I would've turned it off if I wasn't curious to determine why everyone seemed to love it so much. Then I just turned my attention to trying to figure out where all the hidden cuts were.

The Set-Up (1949) is a terrific Noir thriller about a boxer who is supposed to throw a fight at behest of gangsters, and watching his decision play out in real time.

12 Angry Men (1957) puts you inside a closed room as the jury deliberates on a murder case, shown in real time until a unanimous verdict is achieved.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) dramatizes an actual botched bank robbery and follows what happens inside and outside the bank in real time.

Rope (1948) has Hitchcock play with the real time convention with as few cuts as he could manage given the technology of the day, as we watch two Leopold & Loeb type murderers hold a dinner party with the corpse in the room and see if their professor can figure it out and, if so, if he is sympathetic towards their demented games.

United 93 (2006) follows in real time the events of that ill-fated flight on the morning of September 11, 2001.

My Dinner with Andre (1981) is a real time conversation between Andre Gregory and Wally Shawn as they discuss art, politics, and the nature of reality.

Russian Ark (2002) with the advent of digital technology somebody was finally able to do what Hitchcock couldn't and make an entire feature length film in one single take. This one has a camera travel through Russia's Hermitage Museum with characters and sets moving into and out of frame showing basically the entire history of St. Petersburg.

Run Lola Run (1998) takes place in real time, although the narrative is rebooted twice so you get the first twenty minutes of the story three different times before it concludes. Clever, energetic, and fun!

Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962) may be my favorite of them all, Agnès Varda's examination of a young woman spending two hours pondering life and death as she waits for the results of a medical test.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	set 12.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	25521  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Run Lola Run (1998) takes place in real time, although the narrative is rebooted twice so you get the first twenty minutes of the story three different times before it concludes. Clever, energetic, and fun!
Are Lola's running scenes actually in real-time though? I always assumed that there were areas in between the cuts that we didn't see her running through, but I haven't seen this movie in a few years and apparently my memory is not very good haha.

Are Lola's running scenes actually in real-time though? I always assumed that there were areas in between the cuts that we didn't see her running through, but I haven't seen this movie in a few years and apparently my memory is not very good haha.
Yes, they are in real time. Or at least real movie time. She wakes up, gets the message to bring the money in twenty minutes or her boyfriend will be killed, then runs out the door to try and make it happen. The camera stays with her the entire time. We watch her scramble to try and make the twenty minutes. Three times. Unlike Rope or Russian Ark there are tons and tons of cuts and stylization (including animation), but yes, each run is the same twenty minutes, slightly different each time.

I've seen that movie many times and written no less than three University papers on it in two different languages, but for some reason I don't remember it that well any more haha. I'll add it to the list of things I should rewatch.

Mindwalk, I guess.