Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Boy

Well I will start off saying that it is not the worst horror movie I have seen. Having said that though it is not that great, there are a couple of jump scares but you sort of see them coming. The premise for the whole movie is weak there was certainly potential but did not eventuate into where I thought it could have gone. The actors were solid (the 2 mains) and if it was not for them I think this was have turned into something worse. One thing that sort of annoyed me is that there was not much explanation at the end of the movie as to why it all turned out the way it did. Well you could do a lot worse with a horror movie but I would not rush out to watch this.

2/5 Stars

Originally Posted by cricket
Across the Wide Missouri (1951)
Holy gawd that picture does not age well. I almost caught fire from embarrassment on Gable's behalf. What's this Top 100 Westerns list?

Originally Posted by Camo
Here are all the lists, fill them out
Gracias! 20% for me on the westerns... Just like high school all over again. Definitely got to check some more of those out though. Always kind of neglected the genre for no good reason and it's not like they're making many good ones anymore.

Welcome to the human race...
Why do you hate edgy white guys so much?
It's sort of an "emperor's new clothes" thing where you see this one type of person and the art they create and/or appear in that's supposed to be all raw and transgressive because it holds up a mirror up to society or whatever and decidedly niche audiences eat it up but it's still ultimately questionable whether or not it's actually great or just something that disaffected people overestimate because of how much it feeds into their sensibilities. The prime example of this is Fight Club and its tale of an embittered corporate drone finding a physically violent outlet for his own snarkily impotent rage, which became a cult classic for quite a few of the wrong reasons.

That being said, Nightcrawler manages to offer a decent enough spin on a familiar archetype - Lou Bloom is very much cut from the same cloth as past characters like Travis Bickle or Rupert Pupkin (especially the latter), so it's easy to be skeptical of whether or not the film can bring anything new to the table in regards to either this horribly flawed character or the world that he not only inhabits but manages to feed off in his own twisted way. Nightcrawler ultimately works because of how it's able to actually build a decent film off a subject that is off-putting not just because he's a horrible person but because he's the kind of horrible person that we've seen a lot of already.

Funny, there is a Nightcrawler in X-men, also I gotta watch this movie if you give it a 4/5
Speaking of which...

X-Men: Apocalypse -

I don't know what I x-pected.

I watched Frozen yesterday and i really enjoyed. But i think the film made a big mistake in a point. And then 7.7/10.

Wastelands Inhabitant
willy wonka and the chocolate factory with Depp. 8/10, really appreciate his role, but misses a real climax. enjoyable

The Changeling (1980)

This was made right in the middle of my favorite period for horror films (early 70's to late 80's), and it's very well done. George C. Scott is past his prime as the star, but he's still one of the best actors that'll ever be in a horror movie. That's a big plus, and I thought it was interesting and a nice change of pace to have an older man be the star in a ghost story, rather than a woman or a woman with a child. The only negative is that ghost stories are my least favorite type of horror, and because of that, it started to feel long.

the last movie i have watched is Jungle book and i will give 9 out of 10 to this movie , it was a good watch !

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Ink (2009)

You know the entire idea about making films that there are only seven stories and each film is just some different interpretation. Well every now and then, you find a movie that proves that idea completely false.

Ink is the most original and unique films I've seen in a long time. Never once did it ever feel like it borrowed any kind of material, and if it did, they bring so many new ideas and concepts to it.

And the art direction, good lord, this movie was gorgeous, but not in the way a film like Avatar is gorgeous with breathtaking views. This film was just dripping in its own dark and unique atmosphere, it created a style all of it's own.

(I have Omnizoa to thank for recommending this movie to me.)

"Emily Taylor, despite being reunited with her husband from prison, becomes severely depressed with emotional episodes and suicide attempts. Her psychiatrist, Jonathan Banks, after conferring with her previous doctor, eventually prescribes an experimental new medication called Ablixa. The plot thickens when the side effects of the drug lead to Emily killing her husband in a "sleepwalking" state. With Emily plea-bargained into mental hospital confinement and Dr. Banks' practice crumbling around him, the case seems closed. However, Dr. Banks cannot accept full responsibility and investigates to clear his name. What follows is a dark quest that threatens to tear what's left of his life apart even as he discovers the diabolical truth of this tragedy."

- is what it says on imdb so i thought it would be interesting and gave it a try.turns out its not.
very poor acting,bland storytelling,the twists and turns dont have the effects and shockvalue they should have,some of its rushed,
i knew how it was gonna end long before the twists,and some of it just doesnt make any sense.

giving it a 1/2 because its not quite "from justin to kelly" bad,adding 1/2 because i think the storyline actually had potential.

The Crazies -

I find myself to be more in love with psychological thrillers everyday because they have such potential for exploring provocative themes about the darker side of human nature. I love a good thriller that disturbs me and gives me the, well, thrills.

That said, the genre can still fall into familiar horror territory.

Just to be clear, The Crazies does have fun with the overused and ludicrous horror movie trope of government cover-ups, mocking the irresponsible nature of these contingencies. The film doesn't waste time building up an excess amount of exposition and tells us exactly what we need to know - there's a epidemic, and the government is trying to contain it. Basically your standard zombie movie story. It doesn't stray too far from that territory, but still provides some genuinely creepy insights into the stuff people would do during an outbreak, blurring the line between the sane and the titular "crazies". It has its satirical moments of deconstruction, but much like Scream, it retreats into familiarly goofy places by the third act (like not knowing how strangulation actually works in real life).

Over all, not too bad, but nothing amazing.

The Nice Guys (2016) -

Was hoping for a spiritual successor to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005). Was disappointed.

If this move was 30 minutes shorter, I'd probably give it another half star. But as it stands, the plot is a little bloated and unnecessarily complex. I know Russell Crowe had to play a more laid back character to balance Ryan Gosling's eccentricity, but his performance was too devoid of any charm to really get me invested in his story. While it did have a couple genuine laughs in it, I spent most of the movie sat in my seat thinking "yeah, this is fine I guess".

I watched X-Men Apocalypse and i can say it was far better than what i expected, 8.2/10

I Live in Fear (1955)

It seems to me that this is one of the lesser known movies from director Akira Kurosawa. Toshiro Mifune plays an elderly man and factory owner, whose large family is counting on their share when he goes. Mifune's character has a massive fear of a nuclear bomb, and wants to move his family to Brazil. The family brings him to court to get him ruled incompetent, so that he stops spending their future nesteggs on what they perceive as an unreasonable fear. I thought this was an excellent movie with fine acting, and powerful on multiple levels.