Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

The Green Inferno (Eli Roth, 2013) -

What a huge f*cking disappointment. Anyone who knows me on this board knows I’m a big Eli Roth fan. And while there were some parts in this film I thought I knew what he was trying to accomplish, for most of it I was absolutely befuddled as to his intentions. Did he want it to be a disturbing gore fest, which is what we all expected? I’m not sure. I wonder if it was instead meant to be a comedy, considering the dumb f*ck comedic moments that felt so out of place and ruined the mood. Those moments literally made me cringe.

It felt so generic, so lifeless. It was like Roth was bored the whole time, but I have a hard time believing that. The best thing I can say about this movie was it had an interesting social commentary, I guess. Or the makings of one. But it would have come through better if the movie worked as a whole.

I’m still a Roth fan. I find most if not all of his other films to be peculiar, fascinating, and just damn fun. But with this one, I was left with question marks over my head. A huge let-down.

Oh well. I guess there are worse things than watching Lorenza Izzo for an hour and a half.

I need to get this thread going again and get to the next page. Erase the memory of that Green Inferno movie.

Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951)

When I was in high school, I had a strong desire to grow up and be an animator. For some time I wanted to work at Pixar, even. Now that I'm a man of phases, I find animation is a less common one but certainly something I get into again from time to time. Such as now.

So I watched the 1951 Alice in Wonderland. And the whole time I watched it, I kept thinking back to when I watched Lady and the Tramp not too long ago. Man, that was such a beautiful, uplifting experience. I really loved that one, and was engaged in it completely. This one's a little more tricky. In terms of entertainment it was a bit more sporadic - I found myself being very invested during some sequences, and not so much during others.

It's hard for me to comment on why exactly that is. From afar I admire this one greatly. It's beautifully animated - the 9 old men were indeed masters of their craft, I love how the characters just bounce and move so fluidly, I was constantly impressed. And it's appropriately trippy and surreal, capturing the dream-like nature wonderfully.

I think my main problem was I didn't get that uplifting, feel-good vibe from it like I did in spades with Lady and the Tramp. I think after watching that one I now want my Disney animated classics to be there when I need something to cheer me up. And while I admired Alice in Wonderland as a film, it failed to do that in the way that I wanted.

Not a bad film by any means, this film nonetheless failed to lift my spirits any substantial amount, which is what I sought for when starting it.

Interesting. I'll probably give both films another watch before I submit my 50s list, but the last time I watched Lady and the Tramp it was a very disappointing experience, despite having been a big favorite of mine as a child. I was never too crazy about Alice in Wonderland growing up, but I really like it now.

They are entirely different films when you get down to it so it might not be right to compare them, I just have fond memories of Lady and the Tramp and was hoping to recapture that feeling.

They are entirely different films when you get down to it so it might not be right to compare them, I just have fond memories of Lady and the Tramp and was hoping to recapture that feeling.
LOL though

Inside Out (Pete Docter, 2015)

Dammit Pixar, right in the feels.

Striking imaginative and intelligent, I love how this movie basically outlined a map of the mind and utilized it to tell an engaging, heartfelt story. I thought the film progressively grew better and better and at the end, I got fairly emotional, as intended.

However, and it's not a criticism, but I wish there were two versions of this film. One that played out as is, with the more universal theme of growing up. But in maybe an alternate universe I see a different version. I will admit as it started I was hoping it would delve into diagnosed depression. For a company like Pixar to tackle the theme of mental illness would be extraordinary, and I feel like this would have been an appropriate film to do so. Alas, perhaps it's more appropriate that they stuck with something that appeals to everyone. Which is why I wish there were two versions of this movie.

Favorite bit? When they mixed up facts and opinions and Bing Bong just stuck them all mixed back in the box. Great.

Master of My Domain
Yeah, that's really good by my count.
K, wasn't familiar with your rating system.

WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)

WAAAALLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE provides me with great feels and nostalgia. I was at an awkward age in 2008, not quite a child anymore but not quite an adult. Life was starting to turn sour then, and anything that brightened my life helped. I loved watching movies. I loved going to the theater. I saw this movie like, five or so times when it came out. Back then it was my favorite film ever. And it gave me so much joy. I would come out of the theater each time a happier being. Because of this it remains in a special place in my heart.

If I ever have kids, this is probably the movie I'll be most excited to share with them.

I like Wall-E too!! One of the few Animated Movie that I like but The Lion King will always be my absolute favorite

I only watched Wall-E for the first time two years ago, and i really love it, would possibly love it even more if i had seen it when it was released. It is my favourite Pixar film, and it finished at #3 on my Animation list. Just such a poweful, beautiful and fun film.

Burn-E is great too

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When I first heard the reviews for WALL-E, and the reviews were great, but they all talked about how there was almost no talking for the first half hour of the movie, I couldn't imagine that the movie could possibly live up to the reviews. But when I finally saw it in the theater, I immediately stayed for a second showing because I loved the movie so much.

It's also one of the few movies that I've bought on DVD the very first day that it was released because I couldn't wait for it to go on sale at a cheaper price.

Master of My Domain
If I ever have kids, this is probably the movie I'll be most excited to share with them.
Right, at first calm them down with animated masterpieces then when they get old enough bomb them with Fulci and Roth.