Recommend A Great Carnival Movie?

Tools    

I've been struck by a certain fancy. A movie of sorts. Anyone have any recommendations for movies centered around carnivals?

Bonus points if the carnival is Venetian or stylistically similar:

Even bonuser bonus points if it's a "dark carnival", a purgatory for souls in transit, or something cool like that.

I've seen Devil's Carnival, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and I'm aware of the maybe-kinda-sorta (okay, probably not) upcoming movie adaption of Night Circus. Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away and Carnival of Souls are already on my watchlist.

Münchhausen has some very impressive scenes in Venice, with these kind of visuals.

There's a good deal of horror set in and around carnivals or circuses, but Vampire Circus, The Funhouse (1981) or Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928) are the first to come to mind.

I've not seen it, but Carny might scratch that itch.

I think the best carnival project may be the one season of HBOs Carnivale

Its supposed to have been exceptional, though cancelled after the one season.

You shouldn't be, it's a solid flick. Clocks in at like an hour twenty as well
I haven't seen it yet but it is really saying something that Sean is saying this since he hates most horror.

I haven't seen it yet but it is really saying something that Sean is saying this since he hates most horror.
Oh really? Seanc and I got something in common.

Just stumbled upon Wings of Desire. Seems really interesting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Curtis Harrington's first film, a moody, low-budget thriller filmed on location at the Santa Monica Pier, has lonely sailor Dennis Hopper fall in love with an even lonelier young woman who plays the carnival's mermaid.