The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Steam here.

Caveat: I'm the guy who recommended Mad Max once... tread carefully
I bought it of my own volition, and I still don't quite know why. I remember there being a rather large discount on offer, which should have set my alarm bells ringing for a newly released game - I bought XCOM Declassified in the same manner and it was a rancid stool of a game which made Mad Max look like Sleeping Dogs.

Got Salt & Sanctuary today.

It's been described as a 2D Dark Souls, something that the developers freely admit to attempting to make. Guess what?

It's a 2D Dark Souls.

Every single mechanic (apart from some fighting game style air juggling) is mirrored in the Souls games. Names have been changed here and there - souls are now salt, bonfires are sanctuaries etc - but everything's there, right down to fat rolling.

Don't quite know how I feel about it yet. Yes, it's taken no small amount of skill to translate such a solid combat mechanic to a 2D plane and it's beautifully drawn, but there's very little so far to raise it above an amusing and very niche diversion.

The game's not as shameless as, say, Lords of the Fallen because it plays so well but part of me wishes that this clearly talented bunch of developers had turned their thoughts to something other than what amounts to a covers album.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I have yet to put my hand on what made Sleeping Dogs so fun. Sum greater than its parts deal.

I really hope the game sequel to FF VII doesnt take forever to come out. If they dont make a PC version for it, I will buy a PS4 to play that game.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Steam here.

I bought it of my own volition, and I still don't quite know why. I remember there being a rather large discount on offer, which should have set my alarm bells ringing for a newly released game - I bought XCOM Declassified in the same manner and it was a rancid stool of a game which made Mad Max look like Sleeping Dogs.

Got Salt & Sanctuary today.

It's been described as a 2D Dark Souls, something that the developers freely admit to attempting to make. Guess what?

It's a 2D Dark Souls.

Every single mechanic (apart from some fighting game style air juggling) is mirrored in the Souls games. Names have been changed here and there - souls are now salt, bonfires are sanctuaries etc - but everything's there, right down to fat rolling.

Don't quite know how I feel about it yet. Yes, it's taken no small amount of skill to translate such a solid combat mechanic to a 2D plane and it's beautifully drawn, but there's very little so far to raise it above an amusing and very niche diversion.

The game's not as shameless as, say, Lords of the Fallen because it plays so well but part of me wishes that this clearly talented bunch of developers had turned their thoughts to something other than what amounts to a covers album.

I don't know for sure, but I had a friend tell me that the game was developed by a husband and wife team, which was why it took so long to release I guess. I bought it and played it just past the Queen of Smiles before I went back to Scholar, I don't think the game had a heart of its own, and although a strong game for what it is, when held in comparison to its "namesake" I think it's lacking. The graphic design and combat systems were superb though, for a 2-D game this is pretty high caliber. So yeah, for the most part I do agree with you, but I think it was just a husband and wife team.

Yep, I know it's a small team - I've bought their games before. Salt and Sanctuary is the only one I've actually liked, though, and I don't know if I'll be liking it once the novelty wears off.

I had a friend scare me away fom buying DayZ Online. They say its a glitchfest, server problems, etc... and really shouldnt be for sale yet.

there's a frog in my snake oil
One Alpha build is allowed...

GangBeast online now in Experimental pre-Alpha Omega Build...

And surprisingly, it's still fun with randoms at the mo

(Lot's of silliness and jelly-sign-language, only minimum amounts of 'must win' try-hardery)

*EDIT*

Has the novelty of being full 8-player games too, which you don't normally get with sofa co-op. Surprisingly solid for the most part on the networking, with players only occasionally becoming giant elastic maelstroms or huge rubber sheets

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

GT-S is gonna release Nov. 15 in the US. Confirmed - 130 cars, consisting of 86 GTR variants ....

Being a super GT fanboy, I am a little underwhelmed. The sound from the stream above was horrid. It seemed like there was one "tire squeal" sound that just got continuously cued into monotony.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gt-sport-review/

I've got a Banner Saga background on my desktop at work and one on my main monitor at home. So purty.
That game is so gorgeous looking. Unfortunately I am not a fan of overly tactical games, so I'm afraid to try it. Though I do eye it carefully whenever it goes on sale on Steam.

Earlier this week I couldn't decide if I wanted to watch a movie or play game, so I split the different and finally sat down to play The Wolf Among Us. Love the 80s aesthetic of the game, but I bought the disc version because it was only $6 and that was a huge mistake. The first episode is nearly unplayable due to glitches and lag issues. I did suffer through though, and am at the last episode now. I'm enjoying it, but I need to give it time between episodes otherwise the freezes and lag start to test my patience.

It's not Tales from the Borderlands good, but even considering the gameplay issues and insane load times, it's still much better than the Telltale Game of Thrones and season 2 of their Walking Dead game.

It's possible it might not be for you depending on what reaches the level of "overly" tactical. But I'm pretty "meh" on really deep strategy games, and I love it, so I think there's a good chance it'll strike that sweet spot for you. It sure has for me.

Also, while some of the turn-based battles are unavoidable, you can take some additional caravan losses by basically skipping/simulating them, so if you're not as into it you can cut down on their frequency, anyway.

Nearly finished with The Banner Saga (again). Excited enough about it the sequel that I might roll right into it and not play Far Harbor until afterwards, which is really saying something for those of you who've had to listen to me gush about all things Fallout.

Started on the new Fallout expansion last night. It's promising a lot, especially since the previous DLC was so uninspiring, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

This is my second playthrough of the game itself. I'm level 25 and around half way through the main quest so hopefully Far Harbo(u)r won't be too punishing. Even after multiple patches the game's as lovably/unforgivably janky as ever:

He's been there for days...

Fallout 4 mod of the day!

Hate your standard map? There are a few replacers out there but this one's by far my favourite - Satellite World Map

Yeah, the Brahmin thing happens to me a lot. Better than them getting stuck inside, though.

Cool map mod, I've never seen that. I'll probably give it a try.

At this point I'm just trying to decide whether or not I want to play Far Harbor with a new playthrough (which means a couple dozen hours before I play it), since my level whatever (115 or something?) character would just blow through it.

To get the most out of the map mod I'd recommend a couple more - No More Monochrome, which does away with manually editing the ini files, and Small Map Markers, which does exactly what you'd think.

Apparently Far Harbour's enemies are tougher, probably in the same way that Point Lookout's were to Fallout 3, but yeah, you'll blow them away pretty easily. I wish they'd handle the bigger expansions in the same way that CDPR are doing with Witcher 3's - You can play them integrated into the main game or as standalones with a pre-rolled character.

Apparently the new one, Blood & Wine (out at the end of the month!), is constructed in such a way that it'll be friendly to people who're coming back to the game after a lay-off, as I am. I'm about 10 hours into a NG+ run of the game and it's close enough to the beginning that I'm not struggling to pick up plot threads.

GTA V has sold 65 million copies.

That's basically the population of the UK. Mind-blowing.

EDIT - To put that into context, it's more than the last three COD games combined and more than the entire Halo franchise.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I bought it twice :/

*EDIT*

I still haven't seen all the movies. Maybe I should go to the cinema in GTA tonight...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
At say £40 quid a pop that's £2.6 billion pounds or pretty much $4 Billion. Fairly awesome, and it wasn't even that great imo, played through once and haven't touched it since. Don't think I'll be bothering with GTA 6.

Witcher 3 was the best game last year, with Fallout 4 close behind.