Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

As you can see, I'm kind of a fan of Ant-Man, and even though his part was brief it was bad-ass! Anyways, pretty good super hero flick with the highlight being the big battle at the airport. This movie introduced 2 awesome heroes into the MCU with Black Panther and, one of the most popular super heroes in history, ol'Spider Man himself. The ending was a bit underwhelming though. Did I mention Ant-Man is the best?

The House of the Devil -

Another great horror film. Glad Swan mentioned the pacing because that is something i usually don't take notice of in a film, and i think that would have been something i couldn't quite put my finger on that i liked about this.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
When Sams friend was killed i expected it to pick up pace and start getting crazy, glad it didn't though because it made everything more tense since you didn't know when something was going to happen. The scene where Sams friend got shot genuinely shocked me. I obviously knew something was going to happen, but it was just so quick and brutal that i was taken aback. There's also just something amazing about Sam dancing about the house having a great time when her friend is lying dead and she has no clue, love that scene.

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
The last 20 minutes were amazing. Right up to the end i had it all wrong, somehow i didn't even consider they were trying to impregnate her with a demon. The fact that the husband and wife were pretty old and the amount of times they told her how young and pretty she was, i thought they were going to try to transfer their elderly mother/step mother to her body or something like that. Even though this didn't bother me it is just one of those horror film things that i except and even enjoy in certain instances, Sam really should have been killed three seperate times. Firstly you would make 100% sure there was no chance she could get loose from the alter, secondly even though they were trying not to kill her the bearded guy slowly took aim a second time, obviously he was planning on killing her after he shot her so it was a tad frustrating how slow he was. Then surely the wife would have took the gun from his body and why would she turn her back to Sam when she was clearly armed since she slit his throat, then of course the blew her brains out part. Still it was pretty great watching her somehow survive against all odds haha.

Anyway great film, thanks for the rec Swan
If this movie was 20min long it would be awesome but sadly it's not I didn't appreciate too much when I first watch it I was so bored

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Ghost (Jerry Zucker, 1990)

A very average film though a bit boring.
The acting is average, the script has some funny moments but it gets cheesy after a while. Unchained Melody is always nice to hear though! I'm glad the 80s are over.

-

Wolf Creek -

This was a tough watch, i don't really have a clue how to rate it. Don't have much to say about it either, it was a really unpleasant film but there were some things i liked about it like the guy who played Micks performance.

Welcome to the human race...
The Lego Movie -

WARNING: "The Lego Movie" spoilers below
SPACESHIP

Unregistered User

Elevator to the Gallows (1958)

If I had time I would expand a bit on how much I loved this. First class acting, a great plot and a superb Miles Davis score all in such a short running time.

Superb.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Assassin

The Meetings of Anna
+

World of Tomorrow

I haven't gone to the movies in years, and I generally watch tv with the sound turned all the way down, so that, when I look up from my book, I'll see a pretty face. I used to use my video of Lust for a Vampire as my "video wallpaper" so that, whenever I looked up from my book, I had a good chance of seeing either pretty green scenery or a low-cut dress.
Last movie I actually watched? Let's see...The Manchurian Candidate.

Fantastic Four (2015) -

I'm not a big fan of super hero films or super hero comic books, however all the negative feedback for this peaked my interest and I had to see if it was as bad as everyone said. Honestly I didn't think it was bad at all, in fact I kind of liked it. Not a great film but any means, but it was a decent straightforward sci-fi action flick. Some of the CGI was a little silly but I was still entertained for the full run time, much better than the last two Fantastic Four films imo.

Fantastic Four (2015) -

I'm not a big fan of super hero films or super hero comic books, however all the negative feedback for this peaked my interest and I had to see if it was as bad as everyone said. Honestly I didn't think it was bad at all, in fact I kind of liked it. Not a great film but any means, but it was a decent straightforward sci-fi action flick. Some of the CGI was a little silly but I was still entertained for the full run time, much better than the last two Fantastic Four films imo.
I really like super heroes, but the cinema is at least a little overcrowded by them lately. So I would give any of the latest super hero movies a very bad rating. Probably just a matter of personal taste.

I have to return some videotapes.

All are very good movies and amazing effects. This was a true cornerstone for modern cgi-filled cinema.

Childhood favorite and still holds up today. Shatner and Carrell are amazing voice actors and should play characters like those more often.

-

Robert De Niro wow. I'd consider this a top 3 performance and it is right up there with Taxi Driver. Definitely deserved the oscar and this movie is sadly unnoticed by a lot of people. I recommend it if you want to see something that is true with a spectacular story.

-

Honestly not that impressed with it. The script was good but Jack just plays himself and some of the decisions the characters make are cringeworthy. A good feel good story but nothing more than that.

Wolf Creek -

This was a tough watch, i don't really have a clue how to rate it. Don't have much to say about it either, it was a really unpleasant film but there were some things i liked about it like the guy who played Micks performance.
Your write-up is unpleasant!

Jupiter Ascending (2015).

(POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD)

This was like all my favorite sci-fi movies rolled into one (wink-wink)...

It's got the slow-mo acrobatic fight scenes from The Matrix!
It's got the wedding scene (and even the wedding gown) from Flash Gordon!
It's got the battle suits from Avatar!
It's got the "houses" of this family & that family from Dune!
It's got a group of space bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back.
It's got the ridiculous bureaucracy from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
It's got lots of weird & annoying characters ala The Fifth Element.
It's got the helpful androids from A.I.
It's got intelligent, dragon-like dinosaurs ala Jurasic World.
It's got the "food is people" from Soylent Green.
It's got a guy come to Earth to protect a girl because she's somehow important to humanity's survival, like in Terminator.

For comic book fans, it stars "Timberwolf" from the Legion of Super-heroes!
Not sure exactly what it was about because once toilet-scrubber Mila Kunis leaves Earth, the story kind gets as cloudy as the atmosphere of Jupiter. Everybody wants her (or to kill her) for some reason because she's like the reincarnated Queen of the universe and the deed to Earth is in her genetic code (or something).

I loved Eddie Redmayne's whispering villain who'd go from having a sever case of laryngitis to screaming when having a temper tantrum - he was hysterical every time he was on screen. I'm not sure what he was shooting for, but whatever it was he made the movie unintentionally hilarious.

Seriously, this movie is a special effects feast for the eyes, and is visually quite colorful & beautiful... but that's about it. There are lots of pointless characters, scenes, and background info about "Jupiter Jones" that seems extraneous and is never followed up on as to why it's important. It's got an extremely disjointed plot-line that would be hard to follow - that is, if you didn't stop caring about the characters after the first half-hour (which seems to be the common experience). It's kind of like a sci-fi "recipe" where they threw in a hundred different cliches (see the list above) mixed it all in a blender and then dumped it out onto the movie screen! It ends up being a movie that's slightly fun, but more fun to make fun of.

I give it a 4 for visuals, a 1 for story & plot coherence = overall

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

The highlights were three fold: (1) Robert Houston trying his hardest to appear human on screen (2) Air Bud taking on the role of a canine assassin (3) watching Wes Craven first toy with the idea of Kevin McCallister style booby traps. He would bring that last one back into play with A Nightmare on Elm Street.

This is a silly **** show that was lucky enough to spawn a slew of better movies from the 2006 remake to the guiltily pleasurable Wrong Turn. At least it has that going for it.

http://boxd.it/9HrwF

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Alexandre Aja solves every problem that plagued the original picture. He lets the rocky desert shine with beautiful wide shots. He dials back on following the mutants too closely, thus letting them remain mysterious and almost supernatural. He doles out the specifics efficiently. He builds logical, albeit thin, characters. The Home Alone booby traps are toned down just enough. He conjures up a new set piece, a beautiful nuke testing ghost town, for the climax of the film. Even the chain of events that leaves the family stranded in the desert makes infinitely more sense and works better cinematically.

A perfect film to remake and perfect taste in what elements needed tweaked. It's not transcendent in its subject matter, but the gore is visceral and the violence is unsettling. It's been close to decade since my cousins and I rented this movie, and its impact isn't lost on me now.

http://boxd.it/9HWd5

The Descent -
+

There are some SPOILERS here so don't read if you haven't seen it, because i can't be bothered with tags.

Oh god this was amazing. I've always been fascinated with caves and love the idea of exploring one but i know i'd never be able to, just thinking of what's inside and how dark and tight everything is makes my skin crawl. I'm not really claustrophobic but it is still incredibly uneasy watching this. When they are trying to fit through these tight holes knowing that it is too narrow to turn back made me incredibly nervous. Omg, when she gets stuck and the cave in starts, geez just the idea of having to go back through that hole to get out is bad enough then after the cave in you need to explore this hellhole to try and find another exit. Monsters are monsters, they just add an extra element to this horrifying situation. I don't think anything to do with them was as bad as Sarah getting stuck in that hole for me. Juno was awesome, she was a bit of a bitch but she was pretty fearless, risking her life to save the equipment when they were climbing over that drop and going toe to toe with one of those things, well plenty of them but i mean the first time they encountered them. Sarah as well actually, that full scene with the blood pool is great. The last 15 minutes are fantastic, love that Sarah and Juno have just hit their limit and they are now the savage monsters, and that fake out was brilliant.

Great film.