Discovering Cinema's Secrets Step By Step

→ in
Tools    

PUT ON HOLD UNTIL JUNE, 2017

CURRENTLY DISCOVERING:

DEADLINE: 1st of July, 2017
TOTAL: 9/20 films seen so far ~ 45% Completed

--------------------------------------
Mike Leigh: 2/5 seen (1/4 since beginning challenge)

- Naked (1993) - Seen before challenge
- Secrets & lies (1996)

Jean Renoir: 0/3 seen (0/3 since beginning challenge)

Seijun Suzuki: 3/3 seen (3/3 since beginning thread)

- Tokyo Drifter (1966)
- Branded to Kill (1967)
- Youth of the Beast (1963)

Louis Malle: 5/5 seen (3/3 since beginning challenge) - COMPLETED

- Atlantic City (1980) - Seen before challenge
- My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Seen before challenge
- Zazie dans le Métro (1960)
- Le Souffle au Coeur (1971)
- Elevator to the Gallows (1958)

MoFo Documentaries List: 7/12 seen (2/7 since beginning challenge)

http://www.movieforums.com/lists/mov...ies/74476.html

- F for Fake (1973) - Seen before challenge
- Jodorowsky's Dune (2013) - Seen before challenge
- Crumb (1994) - Seen before challenge
- Going Clear (2015) - Seen before challenge
- Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures - Seen before challenge
- Jackass: The Movie (2002)
- Jackass Number Two (2006)

----------------------------------------------

Inspired by donnie's excellent thread from 2013, I'm going to start a personal journey of discovering new directors, actors, actresses, screenwriters, etc. by focusing on individuals that I haven't seen anything (or have seen way too little) from as of yet. During a certain period of time (I will determine this myself, keeping in mind my schedule), I wil focus on several film people that I want to watch more from. I hope some of you will be able to help me with these choices.

After every period of discovery I will then write something about the different cinematic experiences I've had.

This way, I want to kind of force myself to start taking my goal of becoming an accomplished cinephile more seriously again, after having let life slow me down for a while and keep me away from what I love most: CINEMA!

----------------------------------------------

Just to give you all a taste of my despair, here's my shameful list of a couple of important/interesting directors I have never seen any feature-length film from in my life as of yet:

Original List (the ones I've seen films from since the start of this thread are striked through):

Jean Renoir
Edward Yang
Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Eric Rohmer
Guy Maddin

Kenji Mizoguchi
Masaki Kobayashi
Satyajit Ray
Claude Chabrol
Luchino Visconti
Jules Dassin
Sergei M. Eisenstein
Jean Cocteau
H.G. Clouzot
Béla Tarr
Agnès Varda
Josef von Sternberg
Alain Resnais
Sam Peckinpah
Carl Theodor Dreyer
Mario Bava
Nicolas Roeg
Takeshi Kitano
Ken Loach
Seijun Suzuki

Mikio Naruse
Zhangke Jia
Michael Haneke
Hirokazu Koreeda
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Stanley Kramer
Shane Meadows (Recommended by Camo)
Ben Wheatley (Recommended by Cricket)
Tetsuya Nakashima (Recommended by Guap)
Sion Sono (Recommended by Guap)

I WILL UPDATE THIS LIST DURING MY JOURNEY WITH NEW SUGGESTIONS!

There are also plenty of other great directors, that I have only seen one or two films from, who I will try to discover further from time to time.

My intention is to keep this thread going for a long while and I hope I will discover some new favorite films!

Currently, I'm looking for three directors to discover (at least one or perhaps two from the list above) during the next TWO MONTHS (I have an exam period, so that's why I'm starting with this longer period) and I'm also planning on watching more documentaries (focusing on the MoFo Documentary List).

Any new suggestions or comments about the above list are welcome!

Out of all of Béla Tarr's films I have only seen The Turin Horse, which is a brilliant film. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films yet.

Anyway, great idea. Looking forward to seeing what you post here.

Sounds good. There hasn't been enough Cob on this forum lately, so I'm happy you're going to be posting more.

Originally Posted by Cobpyth
Guy Maddin
Even I have seen his The Saddest Music in the World. Which I liked.

I'll also set a deadline and goals for each period (and update the progress).

For example:

DEADLINE: 2nd of April, 2019

GOALS:
Mike Leigh: 3/6 films seen
Ken Loach: 2/8 films seen

This will be on top of the first post to keep me motivated.

Eric Rohmer
Only seen Claire's Knee. I liked it but at the time it was way too far from the stuff i usually watched. Would like to try more my self.
Sam Peckinpah
The Wild Bunch is one of my favourite Westerns. I also love Straw Dogs.

Carl Theodor Dreyer
Ordet is pretty great, haven't seen any of his others.

Mario Bava
Only seen Black Sunday. Really liked it, if you are a fan of horror films watch it.

Nicholas Roeg

Not a fan of Don't Look Now (sorry Christine), but Walkabout was pretty great. I liked The Witches too but that's not a great film it was just one of my favourite books as a kid.

Ken Loach

Watch Sweet Sixteen or i'll kick you in the head

I might join you for the Mike Leigh one, if that's okay?
Everyone can join, but Mike Leigh was just an example in that earlier post. I might do him during this period, though. I've only seen Naked so far (which I adored, as you know) and I have two of his other films ready to watch.

Ah okay. Well yeah, I'll definitely participate in some of this, definitely with Leigh.

PS still so glad you liked Naked.

If we are to suggest stuff that hasn't been listed. How about Shane Meadows. Cob? Not sure what you've seen from him but i'd suggest Dead Man's Shoes and A Room For Romeo Brass, the rest too just those first.

Alright, let's make Mike Leigh the first of the three directors then. I'm fine with that!

I'll put the deadline on the 10th of July (if you finish earlier, you get bonus points ). How many films have you already seen from him, Camo and Swan, and how many do you want to watch from him during this two month period?

If we are to suggest stuff that hasn't been listed. How about Shane Meadows. Cob? Not sure what you've seen from him but i'd suggest Dead Man's Shoes and A Room For Romeo Brass, the rest too just those first.
Haven't seen anything from him yet, but he looks interesting. Will add him to the list. Thanks!

Alright, let's make Mike Leigh the first of the three directors then. I'm fine with that!

I'll put the deadline on the 10th of July (if you finish earlier, you get bonus points ). How many films have you already seen from him, Camo and Swan, and how many do you want to watch from him during this two month period?
I've seen Naked, Happy-Go-Lucky, and Life is Sweet, so I still have quite a few to watch. I figure we can do one a week, maybe? Up to you guys though.

How many films have you already seen from him, Camo and Swan, and how many do you want to watch from him during this two month period?
Just Naked and Secrets & Lies. The former is a top 20 film for me and the latter i didn't like much but i don't remember it much. I own Happy-Go-Lucky so i wouldn't mind that being one of the movies. Not bothered about how many, i can't guarantee anything so i'll just say i'll try to join in when i can.

I'm currently setting my goal for Mike Leigh at watching 5 new films from him during the two month period (as I'm also going for 3 other goals and am probably going to be quite busy, so I have to stay realistic). You can both go for more, though.