Sherlock Holmes Top 3

Tools    

Of all the actors who've played Sherlock Holmes – in any medium – who would you say are your top 3?

Mine are as follows:

Jeremy Brett

Richard Roxburgh

Basil Rathbone

Jeremy Brett, hands down.
This is it, I can pin down my top 3 but I'd probably struggle to choose any more than that.

I haven't watched much in the way of Sherlock Holmes, but my favorite of what I've seen is Benedict Cumberbatch.
Did you like him in a modern day setting or Victorian?

Did you like him in a modern day setting or Victorian?
Sadly, I haven't seen Abominable Bride yet. But I loved him in the first three seasons as the modern Sherlock.

Sadly, I haven't seen Abominable Bride yet. But I loved him in the first three seasons as the modern Sherlock.
It's interesting they did a Victorian Sherlock episode given that the series was inspired by the later Rathbone films, set in the Forties. They've just done it the other way round.

That's a very good film. The hallucinations are especially memorable and frightening – especially the gang of cakes.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I just watched "Mr. Holmes" the other day and I wondered how many other people, besides myself, realized (or even knew) that the man who was portraying him in the film version that Ian McKellen was watching was the same one who played Holmes as a young man years ago. That seemed like a "treat" to see him on screen as Holmes again.

By the way, Nicolas Rowe is in my top 3.

I think mine would have to be:
1. Jeremy Brett
2. Nicholas Rowe
3. Ronald Howard

I just watched "Mr. Holmes" the other day and I wondered how many other people, besides myself, realized (or even knew) that the man who was portraying him in the film version that Ian McKellen was watching was the same one who played Holmes as a young man years ago. That seemed like a "treat" to see him on screen as Holmes again.
I really want to watch Mr. Holmes now.

1. Jeremy Brett
2. Christopher Plummer
3. No one in particular, because all I can think when anyone else plays Holmes is "He's not Jeremy Brett."

1. Jeremy Brett
2. Christopher Plummer
3. No one in particular, because all I can think when anyone else plays Holmes is "He's not Jeremy Brett."
I think the same about Joan Hickson as Miss Marple and David Suchet as Poirot.

I only like it when Iron Man plays Sherlock Holmes, plus I paid $2.88 for each DVD on Boxing Day.
Fair enough . I haven't seen those films but it's good that they used some of Holmes's combat skills for a change. He's not a shrinking violet in that respect.

I think the same about Joan Hickson as Miss Marple and David Suchet as Poirot.
…and Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter Wimsey.

Hands down I have to say Benedict Cumberbatch. I haven't actually watched many of the older adaptions but Benedict blew me away with his performance in the first 3 seasons of Sherlock, the Abominable Bride special was alright, nothing special.