Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The most loathsome of all goblins
My Darling Clementine*

Don't mind lil ol' me, giving another hyperbolic rating to a Ford film.
I love My Darling Clementine, just watched it three nights ago actually. I think it and The Hurricane are my two favorite Ford films.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Taste of Cherry - 9.5/10

Middle-aged man contemplating suicide. Great movie. If you've seen this already, you can read the spoiler down below - it's the reason I only give it a 9.5

Very well-acted. I remember Pontecorvo accurately saying that with actors, the face is so important. His leading character wasn't an actor, but was great. When I first saw the protagonist's face, it fit, as well as the other actors. I can see myself watching this movie again. Great pace, pulls you in immediately, no filler, just great film-making.

I had this on automatic DVR because of the director, and though I was going to probably watch it, I got a recommendation based on a thread I started a few days ago about human interaction, and Redwell picked this exact movie, which was the last one I had DVR'd, which was just on TCM. I also had a friend call me yesterday morning telling me he was suicidal - I don't think I even thought of him when I saw what movie I recorded.

WARNING: "A Taste of Cherry" spoilers below
I'm probably being fickle, but I would have liked to know besides unhappiness why Mr. Bagheri was suicidal. Could have made for a great conversation, especially the way the movie was going. At only 90 minutes, I think it wouldn't have hurt, but I understand... It was also unclear what happened in the end.

The full movie is on youtube, down below.

Paper Towns (2015)

Very good little film about a young man, Quentin (Nat Wolff), who has lived across the street from his secret crush, Margo (Cara Delevingne), for most of his life. Moments of their childhood are shown, but the movie kicks into gear when they are in high school and Quentin and Margo have drifted apart. Margo is with the more popular crowd and Quentin mainly hangs with his best friends Radar (Justice Smith) and Ben (Austin Abrams). Margo barely acknowledges Quentin at school but one night she shows up at his house to involve him in a little revenge spree on the popular kids who wronged her. This is all highly comical but turns dramatic when Margo disappears. Quentin is convinced that she's left clues to where she's gone and he involves his best friends in a trek to find her whereabouts. Also in the mix is Margo's best friend Lacey (Halston Sage), whom Ben has a massive crush on.

The trail of Margo involves a road trip from Florida to New York where Quentin is convinced Margo has gone. There is lots of good humor and some bittersweet drama that mainly involves Quentin growing up over the course of this trip. I liked model-turned-actress Delevinge a lot as Margo, but Halston Sage really came off better (and is better-looking, IMHO) as she shows her real character along the way. This is a very nice film that has some John Hughes-like touches about the frustrations of High School life. But it is its own entity and all the principles do nicely in this film.

Nosferatu (1922) Re-watch

Classic silent horror film that has lost none of its potency over the decades. I don't know how many times I've watched this film but it's usually quite a few years in-between viewings. Still, its impact has not lessened for me. It basically copies the framework of Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula" but doesn't take every bit of it for its own, in my opinion. We do have the real estate agent who is sent to Transylvania to sell property to Count Orlok, a mysterious fellow who is very creepy-looking and sleeps during the day. Of course he's a vampire and the agent, Hutter, soon finds out he's a prisoner in the castle of Orlok while Orlok makes plans to travel to Hutter's small town to move into the property across from Hutter's own home. Hutter's wife is left at home and she seems to have a psychic connection to Hutter's trouble at the castle and even Orlok can feel her across the sea. There are major references to the Black Plague in this film, but of course vampirism is connected to this.

Director F.W. Murnau imbues this film with a great sense of dread, particularly during the first half when Hutter (Gustav von Wangenheim) is trapped by the vampire and cannot lock his door against his visits. Von Wangenheim is super at portraying the terrible horror of facing the dreadful (and butt-ugly) Orlok. Orlok, as portrayed by Max Schreck, is one of the creepiest creatures to ever "grace" the motion picture screen. The film is sometimes sped up to show Orlok at work preparing for his voyage to Hutter's hometown. Greta Schröder is forlorn as Ellen, Hutter's young wife, who mourns at Hutter's absence almost immediately and keeps up her sadness for the length of the film. Alexander Granach is completely bonkers as Knock, Hutter's boss who sends him on his journey in the first place. The guy acts so crazy that Hutter should have realized something was up and not gone. Knock becomes the Reinfeld-type character of the film and has lots of scenes of madness, some of which are humorous, especially during his brief escape. Anyway, this movie is a masterpiece of German cinema and has inspired lots of film tributes (Salem's Lot and Nosferatu the Vampyre in particular). Never boring and frequently scary, this a must-see for any film buff.

I have to return some videotapes...
Captain America: First Avenger (2011) -
++

A couple good moments, but ultimately it's a little too bland for me to really like it. I think the action scenes are semi-hard to follow and aren't memorable, my reservations mostly come from technical problems. What I do think is enjoyable is the setting, which is refreshing for a superhero film and also the characters are intriguing, especially Cap.

The Witch (2015)

The innocence of children. The expectations of masculinity. The guilt of the sinner. There are many ways to run with this one, but female sexuality does seem to be at the core of it all. The crow picking at the breast. The female goat leaking blood from its udder as a cursed menstruation. An apple from paradise. A shrewd mother fears her daughter's burgeoning figure will corrupt her family.

Robert Eggers' faithfulness to the historical account makes these issues extend beyond a specific family in the woods, turning them into an organic commentary of the times. The period setting is meticulously constructed. Every frame is postcard worthy. The Witch is a creepily patient slow burn and has deservedly claimed its place as the current indie-horror darling.

http://boxd.it/9D2lJ

The Boy (2016) - William Brent Bell

- This as to be one of the weirdest movie I've watch in a long time... I consider myself a weird guy and this one hold my attention all way through mainly because I hate those d*mn dolls. The Storyline is cool and it's very original for a modern horror flick. I really appreciate the performance from Lauren Cohan and Rupert Evans. Director in my opinion made a good job and that's probably a movie that I would love to rewatch in the future so it's positive. Really dig that one and horror fans should give it a try.
-

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Paper Towns (2015)

Very good little film about a young man, Quentin (Nat Wolff), who has lived across the street from his secret crush, Margo (Cara Delevingne), for most of his life. Moments of their childhood are shown, but the movie kicks into gear when they are in high school and Quentin and Margo have drifted apart. Margo is with the more popular crowd and Quentin mainly hangs with his best friends Radar (Justice Smith) and Ben (Austin Abrams). Margo barely acknowledges Quentin at school but one night she shows up at his house to involve him in a little revenge spree on the popular kids who wronged her. This is all highly comical but turns dramatic when Margo disappears. Quentin is convinced that she's left clues to where she's gone and he involves his best friends in a trek to find her whereabouts. Also in the mix is Margo's best friend Lacey (Halston Sage), whom Ben has a massive crush on.

The trail of Margo involves a road trip from Florida to New York where Quentin is convinced Margo has gone. There is lots of good humor and some bittersweet drama that mainly involves Quentin growing up over the course of this trip. I liked model-turned-actress Delevinge a lot as Margo, but Halston Sage really came off better (and is better-looking, IMHO) as she shows her real character along the way. This is a very nice film that has some John Hughes-like touches about the frustrations of High School life. But it is its own entity and all the principles do nicely in this film.

Ugh, I had the complete opposite reaction to this film. Could not find any redeeming qualities in the Margo character.

Here is my review

Suspect's Reviews

Finished here. It's been fun.
Solaris*
+

Ooh, really wish I could give a higher rating, however, I really have some major issues with the film. This is my second viewing and my initial thoughts haven't changed too much: this is Tarkovsky's weakest film. There are numerous sequences of breathtaking beauty, yet the film feels restricted when it reaches the Solaris space station. That specific location features a bland, sterile backdrop and there's not much room for Tarkovsky to perform his magical compositions. The film stretches on for far too long until it reaches the finale, which, by the way, is one of the greatest in the history of cinema. The first act and final act are aces, but the middle portion leaves me uninterested.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I loved the "boring" parts in the middle, but I'm such a hipster that I'd like the highway scene to be 30 minutes long.
Possession (1981)
The tentacle scene alone deserves two stars and we also have a truly possessed Adjani!

Saw Civil War, besides the airport scene (which admittedly is very effective visual filmmaking) the film is a bloated shapeless plotless tv episode. BVS gets railed but this is considered a perfect superhero movie? Reviews are at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, I think Disney pays critics.

Saw Civil War, besides the airport scene (which admittedly is very effective visual filmmaking) the film is a bloated shapeless plotless tv episode. BVS gets railed but this is considered a perfect superhero movie? Reviews are at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, I think Disney pays critics.
That's the Tomatometer. It's a percentage of people who have given the film a "positive review" which, I believe, would be anything above a 5/10. I could be wrong about the threshold as the audience score considers anyhting 3.5 stars or higher a positive review which would mean 7/10 is the dividing line.

The rating that Captain America: Civil War (2016) has received on average from critics on RottenTomatoes.com is 7.7/10.

A lot of people seem to miss that.

Solaris*
+

Ooh, really wish I could give a higher rating, however, I really have some major issues with the film. This is my second viewing and my initial thoughts haven't changed too much: this is Tarkovsky's weakest film. There are numerous sequences of breathtaking beauty, yet the film feels restricted when it reaches the Solaris space station. That specific location features a bland, sterile backdrop and there's not much room for Tarkovsky to perform his magical compositions. The film stretches on for far too long until it reaches the finale, which, by the way, is one of the greatest in the history of cinema. The first act and final act are aces, but the middle portion leaves me uninterested.
One of my favorite films to read about what other people think of it.

As someone who enjoys science & explanations - you mentioned location - so where is Solaris supposed to be? If it's a planet in a different star system, then how did we get to it when, according to the film, we are still utilizing 1970's technology & vehicles?
Did the planet wander into our solar system that we were able to build a space station in its orbit that we can quickly access?
I know it's cerebral and you're not supposed to ask these kinds of questions regarding simple plot points.

The most loathsome of all goblins
That's the Tomatometer. It's a percentage of people who have given the film a "positive review" which, I believe, would be anything above a 5/10. I could be wrong about the threshold as the audience score considers anyhting 3.5 stars or higher a positive review which would mean 7/10 is the dividing line.
This is why Metacritic is better in my opinion, it weighs "how much" critics like/dislike a film and not just "if" they like or dislike it. Also RT pulls reviews from iffy sources sometimes.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Don Verdean (2015)

Sam Rockwell, a glued-on beard and a Fiero. Movie writes itself, right?

Solid background fodder, sleep timer movie. Unfortunately, Jermaine Clements smothers any scene that he is in. Still dying to see another great movie with Rockwell in it. Enjoyed his accent, but that is probably the highlight of the performance.