Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

The most loathsome of all goblins
Lawrence of Arabia, I think Bosley Crowther's review sums it up perfectly.

Originally Posted by Bosley Crowther
The fault seems to lie, first in the concept of telling the story of this self-tortured man against a background of action that has the characteristic of a mammoth Western film. The nature of Lawrence cannot be captured in grand Super-Panavision shots of sunrise on the desert or in scenes of him arguing with a shrewd old British general in a massive Moorish hall.

The fault is also in the lengthy but surprisingly lusterless dialogue of Robert Bolt's over-written screenplay. Seldom has so little been said in so many words.

There are some great things in the picture—which runs, incidentally, for 3 hours and 40 minutes, not counting intermission. There is some magnificent scenery, barbaric fights, a mirage in the desert that is superb (the one episode in the picture that conveys a sense of mystery). And there are some impressive presentations of historic characters. Alex Guinness as the cagey Prince Feisal, Anthony Quinn as a fierce chief, Omar Sharif as a handsome Arab fighter and Jack Hawkins as General Allenby stand out in a large east that is ordered into sturdy masculine ranks by David Lean.

But, sadly, this bold Sam Spiegel picture lacks the personal magnetism, the haunting strain of mysticism and poetry that we've been thinking all these years would be dominant when a film about Lawrence the mystic and the poet was made. It reduces a legendary figure to conventional movie-hero size amidst magnificent and exotic scenery but a conventional lot of action-film cliches.

It is, in the last analysis, just a huge, thundering camel-opera that tends to run down rather badly as it rolls on into its third hour and gets involved with sullen disillusion and political deceit.

What is with everyone's disliking of The Revenant?
Thinking something is overrated doesn't necessarily mean you dislike it. Just that you believe it gets a bit more praise than it deserves.

Originally Posted by Blix The Goblin
There are some great things in the picture—which runs, incidentally, for 3 hours and 40 minutes,
Good god.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Gladiator comes to mind.

Probably gonna catch a lot of crap for this bu

Mad Max: Fury Road

I didn't hate it, it was definitely an entertaining movie that was fun to look at, but it's far from the masterpiece so many people made it out to be. Outside of the visuals there really isn't anything special about it.

Probably gonna catch a lot of crap for this bu

Mad Max: Fury Road

I didn't hate it, it was definitely an entertaining movie that was fun to look at, but it's far from the masterpiece so many people made it out to be. Outside of the visuals there really isn't anything special about it.
you're right. it is totally overrated

Of all Disney movies? Really? How come?
A big part of it is Ariel. For one, she acts in an incredibly selfish manner unlike any of the other Disney heroines. I mean, those who disobey their fathers, like Belle, Pocahontas and Mulan, did so to either protect their fathers or to accomplish a higher goal. Ariel, on the other hand, made a "deal with the devil", knew the contract would be harmful to both her father and herself, and she still did it.

Originally Posted by Melvinj0
I thought it was great, but yeah it's got definite issues.

Originally Posted by Ange1e4e5
A big part of it is Ariel. For one, she acts in an incredibly selfish manner unlike any of the other Disney heroines. I mean, those who disobey their fathers, like Belle, Pocahontas and Mulan, did so to either protect their fathers or to accomplish a higher goal. Ariel, on the other hand, made a "deal with the devil", knew the contract would be harmful to both her father and herself, and she still did it.
Fair point.

Definitely Blair Witch Project. It was made using a small budget, and it shows. Worst movie I ever spent cinema money on.

Definitely Blair Witch Project. It was made using a small budget, and it shows. Worst movie I ever spent cinema money on.
Is a small budget a bad thing, or something?

Well, it may be and often is. If the money runs out and prevents you from making a good movie, it can be bad. BWP is an example of that in my eyes. If, on the other hand you succeed and make a good movie with little money, it is very impressive. If you make a bad movie with a lot of money, it may be even worse from a artistical standpoint, but at least your audience gets some nice CGI to look at.