Under the Skin Review

→ in
Tools    

Under the Skin, the 2013 horror film starring Scarlett Johansson, is about an alien woman who seduces men, and brings them back to her room, where terrible things happen. I thought that Scarlett Johansson was very good, and carried the film. However, some of the men she captures are not actors, and it shows at some points. Also, not every scene in the film is on par with the rest of it, such as the nightclub scene, which has no effect on the rest of the film. It sometimes shoves its ambiguity down your throat, and you can tell that it is forced. Other than that, I thought the film was very strong, especially the ending. Under the Skin gets a B+.

I would also like to see it again, there are some layers I'm interested in uncovering.

Under the Skin, the 2013 horror film starring Scarlett Johansson, is about an alien woman who seduces men, and brings them back to her room, where terrible things happen. I thought that Scarlett Johansson was very good, and carried the film. However, some of the men she captures are not actors, and it shows at some points. Also, not every scene in the film is on par with the rest of it, such as the nightclub scene, which has no effect on the rest of the film. It sometimes shoves its ambiguity down your throat, and you can tell that it is forced. Other than that, I thought the film was very strong, especially the ending. Under the Skin gets a B+.
I found that the various people not being actors was beneficial because it made it seem more real. I can't say I remember feeling that anything was forced, but I have only seen it once or twice. It's something I'm sure I will watch again and I thought Scarlett Johansson was extraordinary.

The scene when they are underwater made me very uneasy, I was watching it and suddenly I felt afraid, it was most peculiar as this does not usually happen to me. A very unique movie in my experience, haunting and strange. I have seen it twice and now I feel like I want to watch it again.

The scene when they are underwater made me very uneasy, I was watching it and suddenly I felt afraid, it was most peculiar as this does not usually happen to me. A very unique movie in my experience, haunting and strange. I have seen it twice and now I feel like I want to watch it again.
I think the score adds to that feeling.

I think the score adds to that feeling.
I agree totally. The score was excellent, and I suppose that feeling of dread, or maybe disorientation, reminded me a bit of what Marc Streitenfeld did with his Prometheus score.

Made me think of Predator when Billy finds the group of skinned guys, except the opposite is happening here, where the insides are ripped away instead of the skin, the skin/insides left hanging.

Made me think of Predator when Billy finds the group of skinned guys, except the opposite is happening here, where the insides are ripped away instead of the skin, the skin/insides left hanging.
Oh, I'll have to have a look at that. I can't remember that part of the score. It's true, the underwater, or perhaps underfluid sequences are very disturbing.

Oh, I'll have to have a look at that. I can't remember that part of the score. It's true, the underwater, or perhaps underfluid sequences are very disturbing.
Maybe not the score, but the scene definitely.

Good film. It reminded me of Beyond the Black Rainbow only w/o the THX 1138 vibe and the 1980's Carpenter-esque soundtrack.