Should Mel Gibson work again?

Tools    

What if they had Gibson be the villain in Mad Max 5, or the Furiosa spin-off, it wouldn't be the first time they used the same actors in different roles.
I'd be okay with that, provided he played the part believably.

I don't have a problem with Gibson as an actor. I just don't think that at his age he's right for the role of Max.

Then they'd be in prison and unable to make the shoot!
What if they secretly eat babies?

I don't think he should be denied employment. Other actors or other movie people may have racist/other intolerant ideologies, but they're just not as vocal.

I mean....if Matthew Broderick can get away with killing a person....
Person? He killed TWO women.

Make a better place
why not?
hell with their private lives, I hate many things about him as a person, but not as an actor, of course he should continue to work

I still always look forward for new movies featuring 80's & 90's stars, I just love to watch them I think they all should continue to film, Mel included

His movie Get The Gringo is a kind of proof that he still can deliver something

im one of those who dont seperate the person from their work.
if a person is doing/stading for something obviously wrong then i dont want to make them richer,endorse them,or give them a platform to promoto it. (because even though bill cosby wont be on stage saying its cool to rape women,if his movies and career went ahead as usual you would inadvertibly give off the impression that it doesnt really matter)

i will never watch a woody allen movie
i will never watch roman polanski movie.
i will never watch bill cosby in anything again.

^just to give you some examples.
and quite frankly my respect lowers for the actors who continue to work with them.(looking at you diane keaton)

As far as Mel Gibson goes,i dont know much about him.
was it just drunken jibberish? did he mean it?
i remember how big it was though,he seemed like a genuinly nice guy before that.

sure,and i can see why people would hold that against him

but personally when its an accident i wouldnt.
unless he was drinking/doing drugs while driving.

im one of those who dont seperate the person from their work.
if a person is doing/stading for something obviously wrong then i dont want to make them richer,endorse them,or give them a platform to promoto it.
As a vegan, you come to learn that you can't start boycotting people or businesses just because you disagree with one or two specific practices of theirs. You probably unknowingly still endorse someone's bad behaviors by other means, be they supermarket owners or the secret neo-nazi cameraman. After a while you either realize that you can't realistically avoid everybody who will misuse your money, or you exercise willful ignorance.

Alternatively, you could escape into the mountains and never watch another movie because odds are someone in the next movie you see is going to use their next paycheck to do something profoundly stupid.

first off,good on you for being a vegan.

secondly: i think raping children,raping women as a hobby,destroying peoples lifes while living in a mansion being celebrated as a person is bit bigger than just disagreeing with someone view of life and opinions.
there are a lot of things that i will let pass-however there are certain things that should be career ruining.

people in the media have so much power over how the public think or feel,wether we want to or not-whether we are aware of it or not. Just take the rihanna/chris brown situation. she got slated by his fans after HE hit her.because apparantly you have to agree with everything the person you`re a fan of does.. so what if roman polanski likes to rape children in his sparetime? should he not still be on redcarpet with a list actresses on his armsgushing over how great he is? or on magazine covers and winning awards while fans chant his name and all that..while their victims cant watch tv or read magazines without seeing their attacker.

I agree that i unvolantary prob support people i shouldnt/wouldnt want to-but that doesnt mean others should get away with it,and i have no problem with people being made an example of.

I agree that i unvolantary prob support people i shouldnt/wouldnt want to-but that doesnt mean others should get away with it,and i have no problem with people being made an example of.
The mere existence of this thread tells me he already has.

Just gonna throw this out here: I'd have preferred Mel Gibson in Fury Road.

Coulda been an older Max passing down the torch to Furiosa or something like that.

If you consider how messed up the world of Fury Road is, it would have to take place a considerable amount of time after Beyond Thunderdome. In that case, I think Gibson's current age would've been appropriate for Fury Road. I liked that movie, but I think it would've been 100% better without Tom Hardy. He has no charisma at all, and I'm nearly convinced that he doesn't know how to talk properly. It could've been just about Furiosa, or if they needed Max to be in it, they could've cast nearly any Australian actor in the role and it would've been better (except Jai Courtney. That would be the one instance of making things worse haha).

I'd love for a future movie to reveal that Hardy is playing a character that just took over Max's identity (which would explain some inconsistencies in the movie) and the real Max is already dead or off somewhere else. I personally like the fan theory that the Fury Road Max is actually the Feral Child from the Road Warrior, but I doubt that'll make it into the film's canon.

Back to the main topic, I do believe that it's about time to give Mel Gibson another chance. What he said was 10 years ago, and he has since apologized for his behaviour and knows what he said was wrong. Would you like to be held accountable for every stupid thing you've ever said for your entire life, even while drunk or otherwise inebriated? How about everything you said as a child? Probably not. He's a good actor with a lot of screen presence, and I'd like to see him in more films. Maybe not as the leading man, but he does play a good villain.

Expendables 3 was a terrible movie, but Gibson was great in it. He was clearly having a lot of fun with the character, and was very entertaining to watch. I want to see him in more roles like that.

If you consider how messed up the world of Fury Road is, it would have to take place a considerable amount of time after Beyond Thunderdome.
There are already chronological inconsistencies in the series, so it's not much sacrifice at this point.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
In that case, I think Gibson's current age would've been appropriate for Fury Road. I liked that movie, but I think it would've been 100% better without Tom Hardy. He has no charisma at all, and I'm nearly convinced that he doesn't know how to talk properly.
It depends on what movie he's in. He's pretty unremarkable in Fury Road and Dark Knight Rises, but he carries the entirety of the movie Locke.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
I'd love for a future movie to reveal that Hardy is playing a character that just took over Max's identity (which would explain some inconsistencies in the movie) and the real Max is already dead or off somewhere else. I personally like the fan theory that the Fury Road Max is actually the Feral Child from the Road Warrior,
Aw, that's a neat idea. If only it wasn't flashing back to Max's origins.

It depends on what movie he's in. He's pretty unremarkable in Fury Road and Dark Knight Rises, but he carries the entirety of the movie Locke.
I haven't seen that movie. I keep hearing good things about it, but I haven't liked his performance in a single other film he's been in, so I'm hesitant to try it.

Besides his Max and Bane, I've only seen him in Child 44, Lawless, This is War, and Star Trek Nemesis. I've seen Black Hawk Down and Inception, but I don't remember him in either of those movies.Oddly in Lawless I found that his character spoke much clearer...

WARNING: "Lawless (2010)" spoilers below
...after he had his neck sliced open.

I haven't seen that movie. I keep hearing good things about it, but I haven't liked his performance in a single other film he's been in, so I'm hesitant to try it.
I strongly recommend it.