The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I remember having 3 tanking Varls was useful to protect the more fragile ranged guys (especially with 'Rook' acting like a King in chess). I seem to remember two of them had a load of action points so could get back to intercept after the big knockbacks.

*EDIT*

Ahh, that's right, Iver's skill could push back their advances handily if it was maxed, and do bonus armour damage (which brought the ranged guys more into play). Pretty sure I had at least one more 'shieldbanger' who was useful for armour attrition too, pretty sure it was this guy.

Think having this lass levelled to hurt more while blocking routes was useful too, but only as a bit of bonus attrition.
Yep, basically this. 'All Varl, all the time' was my maxim when I first played the game, plus Oddleif. I don't think I used her at all during my proto-speedrun, neither did I use Allette, which was a mistake on my part, but only because I should have remembered that she's essential in that battle. Having them both lvl 1 at that point was kinda suicide.

I remember muddling through by boxing off Bellower with 3 maxed-out Varl, who could tank the damage that the other Dredge were giving them, and wearing him down.

The big Fallout 1.5 update has temporarily broken a bunch of mod stuff (grrrr). I have items from the mods, so I can't just disable them and play anyway, and at this point I wouldn't much want to.

I'll take another stab at some of the workarounds later, but I might have to wait a few days for a few more mods to update. That little break might get me to start the whole Banner Saga 2/Banner Saga 1 replay thing today or tomorrow. This might be the only way I'd have played anything else before June.

Whenever I do get back to it, though, I'm gonna start getting a little more goal-oriented with the settlement stuff, more or less "finishing" one or two, developing a few other ideas I had, etc. Wanna start posting screenshots and/or videos of some of the better ones.

1.5's out of BETA then? Sweet.

I downloaded the BETA update last week but haven't had the chance to test it. Looks like that mutha's getting deleted now.

Proper mods at last! *crosses fingers for F4UI at the very least*

The big Fallout 1.5 update has temporarily broken a bunch of mod stuff (grrrr). I have items from the mods, so I can't just disable them and play anyway, and at this point I wouldn't much want to.

I'll take another stab at some of the workarounds later, but I might have to wait a few days for a few more mods to update. That little break might get me to start the whole Banner Saga 2/Banner Saga 1 replay thing today or tomorrow. This might be the only way I'd have played anything else before June.

Whenever I do get back to it, though, I'm gonna start getting a little more goal-oriented with the settlement stuff, more or less "finishing" one or two, developing a few other ideas I had, etc. Wanna start posting screenshots and/or videos of some of the better ones.

Im holding off Fallout 4 till I get a new graphics card. It says it cant even detect mine and wants to set itself on Low Quality Was the 1.5 download the Creation Kit theyve all been talking about?

Yeah, that part's nice: some annoyance now, but I'm like 90% sure it'll get sorted. If it somehow destroys my work...oy. But I doubt that'll be the case, and once it's sorted, the whole thing should be a lot cleaner.

I might need to do a self-binding thing to stop myself from replaying the game before I've played some other stuff, though. I've never done a new build Fallout character, but I do miss the sense of peril, so I'm tempted to start over, go heavier on stealth, and actually try to progress quickly rather than hang back, level up, etc.

Well, my new Dark Souls character isn't going well - just can't get the enthusiasm back - so I spent the last few days playing Dragon Age Origins, which is now probably well in my top 5 games released in the last console cycle, remembering how much of a disappointment DA2 was and what a slog a replay of Inquisition will be.

I think it's gonna be Fallout 4 by a process of elimination.

Did you guys play Skyrim alot. I logged in hundreds of hours on that game. The story was just soooo bad, but the gameplay & graphics made up for it. I ask because Im wondering if Ill grow enthusiasm for this new schematic with F4, yeah I shoulda asked before I bought it

Never cared for survival modes in New Vegas (native) or Fallout 3 (modded) but at least they had fast travel options.

Might give it a shot in F4 but I'm really going to be replaying (I deleted my first completed save from the Steam cloud to give myself no other option) by finding some interesting mods and exploring the DLC as it gets released.

Did you guys play Skyrim alot. I logged in hundreds of hours on that game. The story was just soooo bad, but the gameplay & graphics made up for it. I ask because Im wondering if Ill grow enthusiasm for this new schematic with F4, yeah I shoulda asked before I bought it
I played 195 hours on Skyrim. Until Fallout 4, that was the highest total I had on any Steam game (SpyParty isn't on steam yet). I'm about to pass 300 for F4.

But yeah, if you like F3, or New Vegas, or Skyrim, or F4, excellent chances you'll like all the others in that last. Though I guess some people really love NV and not the others so much.

I liked Skyrim a lot, though, including the story.

Speaking of which, the F4 mod stuff (first time I've gotten into mods for a game like this, for whatever reason) has probably convinced me to go back and play Skyrim again with some mods enabled.

I'd say unmodded was under 100 hours of that.

Don't know what the mod scene is like for Skyrim right now (NV's is apparently booming) but the go-to gameplay changing mod was always Skyrim Redone. Frostfall was the big survival mod, and it was compatible with SkyRe.

Wow. I dont feel so bad now

I played up to level 42 in Skyrim with an Archer/stealth type (Oh she was ninja money). Also played an orc Zerker to lvl 23 to complete the main quest the first time (he was stupid powerful, the zerkers might be broken, but loads of fun)

Im wanting to play Wyrmstooth & Falskaar while waiting to get my new graphic card, but would make a new character. I tried to install the game overhaul Requiem, but cant figure that $#@%^ out. I even watched the YouTube vid. TBPH I install manually because the Nexus Mod Manager seems a nightmare.

Being the main quest in F4 is to find your kid, Ill be playing the Mom. There was a tv series with Ashley Judd where she was trying to rescue her son, I already forgot the name of it, but "Nora" in F4 reminds me of Ashley Judd and with the games story I figure its a lock.

I did a playthrough with SkyRe, then another with a different character class. Then one with a different levelling mod (which I preferred) called SPERG. Then the expansions, when they came out.

Then about 30 aborted playthroughs where a hot new mod got released and I figured that it'd be cool to start the game again with the mod installed. By the end I had 120+ mods installed.

Basically, that's what I've done with every Bethesda game since Morrowind.

EDIT - @TONGO: Falskaar's very good, almost professional quality. Not played Wyrmstooth.

EDIT 2 - SkyRe's better, in my opinion, than Requiem, but SPERG is probably the simplest to install of those kind of mods.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Stephen's Sausage Roll literally never lets up on difficulty. I've been chugging along with between 1 and (on a GREAT day) 4 puzzles per day, though some days I've just pondered puzzles cluelessly the entire day before giving up without a single one complete. I've finally made it to what feels like the end game, with a (kinda) new mechanic that feels like the environmental puzzles in The Witness, but are even more satisfying. In The Witness, the environmentals were cool (and the sound made them feel great) but they mostly felt trivial or gimmicky, whereas here the concept is introduced in a mind-blowing way and then immediately you have to interact with it in highly complex and difficult ways.

I don't think I've ever played another puzzle game so consistently challenging and rewarding, or one that's made me cook so many sausages (virtual and real). I still have a ways to go with 170 or so sausages rolled and cooked, but I think it's topped The Witness for me as a puzzle game.There are other appreciable things about The Witness, its exceptional visuals and visual variety, and concise, smart puzzle design, but I think SSR is better as a puzzle game. No other puzzle game consistently makes me feel like a god and a blind man in such rapid succession.

The new built-in Fallout 4 mod support seems to work but it's like an even more dumbed down version of the Steam Workshop - Only plugins need apply, I reckon, and anything more complex needs to be done through scary third party apps which might kill your auntie if you mess up the install.

Alternatively, install Nexus Mod Manager/Mod Organiser, link to your game and download with one click...

You've got to make a Bethesda account now too.

I'd say this, as most things the company does nowadays, is focussed towards the consoles - Xbone gets F4 mods in May and PS4 in June.