Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Morituri - 6/10

I tried watching "The Naked City" earlier, but couldn't keep my eyes open, but could still listen, and eventually turned it off. This movie was alright, nothing special. I took a chance on it because Marlon Brando is in it, and wanted something in English.

Madness is the emergency exit…
White God (2014)

The story follows Lili & her dog Hagen. As her mother going on a long trip to Australia, she left her to live with her estranged father Daniel; who works in a meat/animal processing farm & can't much stand the dog around for various reasons. And eventually Lili got devastated when her father forcefully sets Hagen free on the streets and soon the homeless pet realize how much uncertain life can be in its every steps in the cruel world outside. The story gradually then took a sad but scary progression of Hagen's descent into madness through various masters & captors including the forced training of how to kill in dog fights. But at the end...every dog has its day!

This multiple award winning Hungarian film not only just a revenge fantasy about animal cruelty but also effectively depicts a symbolic portrayal of abused underclass and a cornered downtrodden rising up against the oppressors.

The Survivalist (2015)

Quite slow burn but a beautifully done, character driven dystopian thriller. It centers around a man who lives off of a small plot of land in the forest but when two women show up looking for food and shelter; the game of trust, lust & betrayal begins and his existence become threatened.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

It was pretty good, I liked the story and the locales used were fantastic and the historical accuracy is from what I can tell pretty damn good. The main issue I had with this film is it seemed at times like Tom and Leo were kind of cartoonish. Leo had a good performance, but I think he was a bit transparent and the way he delivered the lines at times seemed a little wimpy in context of the character, who's a badass. Tom Hardy was my favourite performance of the film and I liked his character, but I was kind of waiting for him to sprout a moustache ala Dick Dastardly, because although he did it his way, it was still pretty by the numbers as far as that particular trope goes. But as a whole, I did enjoy it and didn't find it to be too long or to drag on at all, the pacing was quite nice. And the use of natural light throughout the whole film is very well done, I really like that when it's done right.

I saw Jungle Book, awesome movie and has a fantastic sense of wonder within the world being created.
I rate 9/10.

This was well made. Well acted. And gripped me from start to finish. I know there have been mixed reviews about the ending / 'twist'. But I just took it for what it was and let it entertain me. Which it did. I can see why there will be some who get disappointed. There were weak points to the plot, there were characters I didn't like. But I enjoyed it overall. 7/10

This was well made. Well acted. And gripped me from start to finish. I know there have been mixed reviews about the ending / 'twist'. But I just took it for what it was and let it entertain me. Which it did. I can see why there will be some who get disappointed. There were weak points to the plot, there were characters I didn't like. But I enjoyed it overall. 7/10
Never heard of that before-I want to see it!

Unregistered User
Horse Feathers (1932) -

Boxer from Shantung (1972) -

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984) -
+
Goodbye Mr Chips (1939) -

Anvil: The story of Anvil (2008) -

The Boy who Turned Yellow (1972) -

If they're gonna take the time to make a fancy looking poster, they should at least spell "inspired" right.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sapphire (1959)

I have been looking for some more British films from the 50s and decided to watch this one. It's a murder mystery type film. A young woman is murdered and when the police discover she is a mixed race woman 'passing for white' they uncover some surprising prejudices among the people who knew her, and within themselves.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Thing

Very fun horror science fiction film. I didn't realize Ennio Morricone did the music until I saw his name in the opening credits, he (as always) did a fantastic job. There were many very tense scenes (my favorite of which being the one shown above) and there were a few good scares. The highlight of the film by far was the practical effects. Still look awesome to this day. Overall very fun, but the ending fell a bit flat for me. Defiantly better than ET.

Master of My Domain
Defiantly better than ET.
I disagree, but only because comparing The Thing with ET is like comparing apples and oranges.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I disagree, but only because comparing The Thing with ET is like comparing apples and oranges.
Just thought they were worth comparing since they were two alien movies that came out the same year. Also I don't care much for ET.

Whiplash

Two things.

I don't like Fletcher.

And the story Fletcher lives by, about Parker, isn't even true! Jones never threw a cymbal at Bird's head "nearly decapitating him," but near his feet as kind of a joke to put Parker in his place.

Welcome to the human race...
Just thought they were worth comparing since they were two alien movies that came out the same year. Also I don't care much for ET.
I don't care much for E.T. either, but I still know that it's so radically different from The Thing that they can't really be compared simply because they share a couple of circumstantial common factors.

Whiplash

Two things.

I don't like Fletcher.

And the story Fletcher lives by, about Parker, isn't even true! Jones never threw a cymbal at Bird's head "nearly decapitating him," but near his feet as kind of a joke to put Parker in his place.
I did not know that. It would make sense for it to be wrong in the context of Whiplash - either Fletcher thinks that's what really happened and that the near-the-feet version is just watered down for "weak" musicians, or if he knows for certain and is simply embellishing what really happened in order to manipulate Andrew.

Speaking of screwed-up movies about musicians...

The Piano Teacher -