Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Another person who likes this film, hooray. It's close to at least not being underrated on MoFo.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russel, 2012)

A typical David O. Russel movie.
The acting is quite good, J. Lawrence and Bradley Cooper show an interesting chemistry while DeNiro is solid, though it will be always a mistery how can one of the most remarkable actors of a generation turn into a rom-com actor...
The soundtrack is as usual full of jazz standards that give the film an interesting feeling and pacing, besides making the watch a bit funnier.
However, as in other O. Russel's movies the character depth is inexistent and that's pretty annoying. In some ways he reminds me of Nolan. They both have some good ideas and they definitely can make a movie but they are horrible horrible writers. They should let someone write the screenplays and focus on what they do well, and maybe the movies will become masterpieces instead of only decent.
The last act gets pretty cliche but nothing I wasn't expecting.

A typical David O. Russel movie.
The acting is quite good, J. Lawrence and Bradley Cooper show an interesting chemistry while DeNiro is solid, though it will be always a mistery how can one of the most remarkable actors of a generation turn into a rom-com actor...
The soundtrack is as usual full of jazz standards that give the film an interesting feeling and pacing, besides making the watch a bit funnier.
However, as in other O. Russel's movies the character depth is inexistent and that's pretty annoying. In some ways he reminds me of Nolan. They both have some good ideas and they definitely can make a movie but they are horrible horrible writers. They should let someone write the screenplays and focus on what they do well, and maybe the movies will become masterpieces instead of only decent.
The last act gets pretty cliche but nothing I wasn't expecting.
Alarm sirens were going off in my head reading this. I like Nokan, and looove Russel, but they are polar opposites. Nolan's films are high minded while Russell's plots are nonexistent. His strongest point is his writing which is Nolan's weakest. That's why his movies are funny and you get those great performances, because the characters are written so well. His films may be shallow thematically, I think that is a valid criticism. They are not poorly written though.

Actually, all of them.
I thought this might have been the case, but when I made the post I quickly checked and went by IMDb, it appears you're right, something to do with the screenwriters guild, but there doesn't appear to be too much information on it. I'd imagine that they had greater input after the first film once they had first met their characters.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Point Blank - 4/10

Recommended by someone I know very well, even knew Lee Marvin. Personally, I thought this was very boring, which is odd considering it's considered an Action/Thriller... The surrealism didn't add anything for me, script wasn't very good, the acting is very cliched.

The Revenant (2015)

Even better with a rewatch.

-
Same Rating as you great flick

Point Blank - 4/10

Recommended by someone I know very well, even knew Lee Marvin. Personally, I thought this was very boring, which is odd considering it's considered an Action/Thriller... The surrealism didn't add anything for me, script wasn't very good, the acting is very cliched.

Yes. Horribly dull film. I hate Lee Marvin, so that just makes things worse.

I am the Watcher in the Night
10 Cloverfield Lane and I really liked it.

Watch out for my review.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Saving Private Ryan (1998) -

This was another one of those movies everyone allready pretty much saw and i didnt. This movie is just perfect, one of the best war movies i saw, you have to see this if you havent allready saw it.

I didn't finish Saving Private Ryan last time I tried to revisit it...

The opening battle on the beach is admirable and an accomplishment in itself. But to me, the rest is boring, sentimental, preachy, one-sided and uninteresting. I feel slightly offended watching it and it's funny how I watched it way back when - at a time where I wasn't a cinephile and still rather young - and already then I noticed something was off, even though I forced myself into thinking I loved it because everyone else did and because I was afraid to say I felt it had flaws or wasn't that masterpiece that everyone else saw.

That said, I'm definitely not going to say anybody is wrong for loving this one. It is also well made, like pretty much any other Spielberg film. But I guess I can't overlook certain things, which takes me out of a movie that seems to have everyone else hooked.

Care for some gopher?
The Last Boy Scout (Tony Scott, 1991) -
+

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton, 2001) -
+

They just did everything wrong.

4:44 Last Day on Earth (Abel Ferrara, 2011) -