Dawn of the Dead

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by OG-
If you didn't like it just lighten up. It was fantastically entertaining. I personally was so incredibly drawn in that when I left the theater it felt weird driving down the street because I was expecting everything to be destroyed. But then again...I got exactly what I was expecting - a non-sensical romp w/ zombies in it. If you expected more and were upset at a shortended delivery, then it is your own fault you didn't like it.
Normally, I'd agree with you. But seeing as how this is a remake (or "reimagining," as some are calling it), I think it's reasonable to express a bit of disapproval over its shallowness, given the depth of the original.

That said, I agree with kaufman_fan: the Johnny Cash song and the opening credits it played over (as well as the opening sequence beforehand) were very, very well executed. Great choice of music, great tone setter.

And, as much as I can appreciate how fun a gorefest can be, the chainsaw thing was too much. At that point, it stopped being fun and became a little disturbing.

You ready? You look ready.
What happened with the Chainsaw thing? Tell me. Tell me.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I've just posted my review in my review thread. If you care to read it just click on the link in my signature.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Yoda
Normally, I'd agree with you. But seeing as how this is a remake (or "reimagining," as some are calling it), I think it's reasonable to express a bit of disapproval over its shallowness, given the depth of the original.

That said, I agree with kaufman_fan: the Johnny Cash song and the opening credits it played over (as well as the opening sequence beforehand) were very, very well executed. Great choice of music, great tone setter.

And, as much as I can appreciate how fun a gorefest can be, the chainsaw thing was too much. At that point, it stopped being fun and became a little disturbing.
Chainsaws are standard issue for this kind of movie! That is one of the things I liked! Tradition, I tell you. I saw this again, and I liked it a lot more the second time....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Chainsaw's are required in all situations that deal with hordes of the undead. I'm assuming you're referring to the choice to do a little more with the chainsaw though, and I was actually pretty shocked myself, but I didn't feel like it was anything that took away from the movie and I quickly forgot about it soon after, which I think was an intention of the film maker. He knew that party was a different kind of intense for the movie, so he played it down not to distract from the rest of everything that happened.

Saw it again last night and loved it even more. Plus the show tune version of Down with the Sickness is just so damn awesome. GENIUS!

You should watch brain dead then yoda

I was very supprised at how good this movie was. I agree it was not scary, but I am a big horror fan. My girl friend was gripping on to me the whole time. I guess it depend on how easy you scare. I liked how they kept alot of the original story line. I thought they did a great job with the storyline. The makup in this movie is amazing.

Linkin Park Forums

Affordable and Reliable Web Designs and Hosting

Portfolio!!
www.MeteoraStudios.com
www.DigitalEinstein.com
www.LinkinParkForums.com

I can't remember the last time I was this entertained from a movie. I plan on seeing it again during a matinee this week; I was that impressed.

I'm a huge fan of the original-- have been since the mid-eighties, when I was old enough to watch it for the 1st time. But the original DOTD was NEVER a horror movie. It was an action/adventure/tactical movie that took place in a mall. It has it's own charm and fun to it, and I still love it, but the 2004 version is a bona fide insta-classic. It will go down as a favorite for all horror, action/horror, gun-lover fans. Mark my words.

I'm not a big fan of metaphor and social commentary in my horror flicks. Save it for the dramas.

I agree,

This film was brilliant.

I like both kinds of Zombies both slow and fast. And this film didnt disserpoint, But I think your rather one or the other kind of person,

its rather you love it or hate it lol.

I deffinautley love this kind of film and i cant wate until it come's out to buy on DVD.

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally managed to see this today and make my own mind up about it. When a new horror film like this is released, the publics reactions to it are very broad. Some poeple watch Horrors and do not get involved at all and find it about as scary as a fart. Some pople watch a horror film and get incredibly involved and sleep with the light on for the next for weeks. I think my reaction to dawn of the Dead is closer to the latter.

I believe this film may involve the most distressing opening than any film that i have seen in a long while. i'm not normally a fan of Zombie flicks as i find them slightly too depressing with their apocalyptic themes and (normally) bleak endings, but this one looked good from what i had seen and heard. Suprisingly i wasnt dissapointed. Although bleak and slightly depressing i thouroughly enjoyed watching it. the dramatic begining has the viewer on the edge of their seat from the very start, intent on staying with the charcetrs to find out how they can avoid becoming one of those screaming, bloody monsters. Ok so maybe the Gore was a bit over the top, but i think that has to be pretty standard now adays to recieve some kind of reaction off of the viewers. At times i was literally on the edge of my seat waiting for the next creepy guy to scream across the screen, and on other occasions along with hy firends had my hands over my mouth as the next gruesome event unfolded. Bit weak on the plot, as Zombie flicks normally are, some stupid moments put in for a cheap laugh (although sometimes very effective) and some bad acting from our female lead were my only gripes with the film. the awsome soundtrack and good editing made it hard to not enjoy.

Although this is a film where the 'creepyness' doesnt really stay with you, the images certainly do. So how ANY of you guys said this wasnt scary baffles me. Baby? Car Park? Chainsaw? Yuk but Fun

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Thought this was fairly interesting. dawn of the Dead locations 41 years later.